Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 06:00PM

So sayeth the late, great Tom Wolfe.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 06:01PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 06:12PM

I'm not familiar with Tom Wolfe, but would disagree.

The LDS church is a cult. The LDS cult has a lot of political power, at least in Utah.

Is he also saying "a religion is a cult with political power?"

Seems like an odd statement to me, but what do I know?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:15PM

Must only be a cult in states and countries where ... well, in all the states other than Utah and Idamaho.(Simpson's talk. I love it!)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 06:29PM

I don't understand the assertion since political parties, businesses, and lobbying groups can be cults.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 08:17PM

Jim Jones, with his showcase political and humanitarian programs, wielded significant influence among the San Francisco political elite. Scientology, through sabotage and subterfuge, had huge power. And for many decades, the now-anemic Christian Science "Mother Church" was often called, "The rich and powerful Christian Science church..."

In Boston, the Roman Catholic church wielded (note past tense) great power over legislation and policy, even as their pews emptied and parishes were closed and consolidated.

Like many scams, they have risen, and thankfully, fallen. But they had power that far exceeded their actual power.

Posted by: wheredoigonow ( )
Date: May 15, 2018 10:19PM

Jim Jones.
Many pithy sayings don't stand up to the logic stress test.
These replies are a royal pain. I am blind and everything is indistinct. I make many typos some I catch most I have to review and trust in my help. I can either go through the trouble to clean up after myself or be a recluse.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 06:14AM

Mormonism is considered a cult by mainstream religion. Yet it has some political clout. Albeit it's marginalized at the same time by society and the media. Except in Utah where it continues to predominate.

Even today a Mormon has yet to claim the Oval Office. People are more ready for a Muslim or Jewish president than they would be a Mormon. The closest a Mormon came to the White House was Mitt, and his father before him. Evangelicals were their most ardent opponents.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 09:04AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormonism is considered a cult by mainstream
> religion.

...and what is now "mainstream religion" was once considered a cult by earlier "mainstream religions."

How about that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:25AM

They are ALL cults !

Posted by: wheredoigonow ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 10:50AM

Again they are all cults. Some have political power some have little to none. About the only two things that "mainstream Christianity" agrees on is using Jesus and hating Mormons. Research them and even today they attach each other. I have both resesrched some of them and attended them to support family. Just their attitude towards Mormonism is gross hypocrisy. And their hypocrisy extends widely.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 05:02PM

A cult is a small religion, and a religion is a big cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.