Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Angel of Jesus ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:12PM

Just in:

"President Russell M. Nelson just announced that he would be the first LDS Church President to retire, saying: 'I don't want to go the road of President McKay, or President Kimball, or President Benson. I don't want to have my Counselors slap some Depens on me and drag me into General Conference like Bernie in the film 'Weekend at Bernie's'. I can tell I'm gradually slipping into senility, and, so, while my brain is still relatively clear, I hearby announce my retirement. I also want to apologize to Elder Uchtdorf for dropping from the First Presidency. I can see now that was a mistake. I hope for his forgiveness. Now, the Church will be run by President Oaks. Won't be a party, but, hey, look at the bright side...he's a bit anal retentive, but at least he ain't no Boyd K. Packer. Let's be thankful for that. So, my brothers and sisters, I bid you farewell, as I wander off into the sunset, and finally take the path from which no traveler returns. If you think of my accomplishments as Church President in the future, think of the fact that I changed the name of Home Teaching' from "Home Teaching" to "Ministering". I will also consider that my greatest accomplishment on Earth; even more than my post doctoral work in heart surgery, which has no doubt saved millions by now. Brothers and Sisters, remember these last words: pay, pray, and obey. Amen" ("President Nelson shocks the LDS Community with his unexpected retirement announcement", The Salt Lake Tribune, 5/16/2018)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:19PM

Oaks!?

I was they'd just go ahead & tag Gladys Knight for Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and catch up with the rest of the world bigly.

I mean, the MoTab Choir singing MoTown at GC might be a reason to tune in....

Date: May 16, 2018 07:24PM

I'm hoping for just the opposite:

I'm hoping that Uchtdorf becomes "Corporate Soul" of the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and then he FIRES the entire First Presidency and Quorum of 12, who then get jobs as the new back-up singers for Gladys Knight, who'll rename her group:

"Gladys Knight and the Prophet/Seers/Revelators"

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oaks!?
>
> I was they'd just go ahead & tag Gladys Knight
> for Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and catch up with
> the rest of the world bigly.
>
> I mean, the MoTab Choir singing MoTown at GC
> might be a reason to tune in....

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:23PM

No way this is real.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 07:50PM

Wendy won't let him retire. She'd kill him first.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 08:31PM

Ha! Ha!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 09:14PM

I don't follow Catholicism very closely. I saw a headline that Francis might be considering it. Generally, I don't agree with office-holders-for-life, especially on the Supreme Court or (in my state) elective office.

Given the patriarchal structure, you'd think they'd look for some suitable (which includes faithful & loyal) men in their mid-40s to move into the sacred 12.

Date: May 16, 2018 09:52PM

The early Church NEVER considered retirement of its Apostles, because, it was generally accepted and believed that Jesus was coming "soon" and that most Mormons in 1833 would be alive and well to watch Jesus descend from a cloud. So, there was never any "Revelation" on what to do when Apostles become too old to travel or too senile to give motivational talks in General and Stake Conferences.

If you really think about it, Church leaders are "Motivational Speakers". That's what they do. Also, they sit on Committees all day.

Date: May 16, 2018 09:59PM

Angel of Jesus Wrote:
> The early Church NEVER considered retirement of
> its Apostles, because, it was generally accepted
> and believed that Jesus was coming "soon" and that
> most Mormons in 1833 would be alive and well to
> watch Jesus descend from a cloud. So, there was
> never any "Revelation" on what to do when Apostles
> become too old to travel or too senile to give
> motivational talks in General and Stake
> Conferences.
>
> If you really think about it, Church leaders are
> "Motivational Speakers". That's what they do.
> Also, they sit on Committees all day.

Mormons today still think jesus is going to come down on a cloud any day now. And run things after doing the hokey pokey in a missouri temple.

Date: May 16, 2018 10:05PM

Older Mormons, sure, think about the Second Coming, but not younger ones. From my observations, younger Mormons are concerned mainly with sex, "love", career, fashion, leisure, popularity with peers, expensive toys, and in balancing their public and private personas. I don't see many younger Mormons thinking about Jesus descending from a cloud, or building a handcart in the backyard so they can go back to Jackson County and build the City and Temple of New Jerusalem.

Active Mormons today (the ones under 50) are really no different from their "wordly" neighbors, other than they don't smoke, don't drink, and keep their sex strictly SECRET.

>
> Mormons today still think jesus is going to come
> down on a cloud any day now. And run things after
> doing the hokey pokey in a missouri temple.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:04AM

about younger LDS and The Second Coming. I've been wondering what young LDS really think of the all that End Times BS.

The further we creep into this new century the more irrelevant LDS becomes. This is actually fun to watch.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:11AM

Bingo! :)

Date: May 17, 2018 04:18PM

cricket Wrote:
> about younger LDS and The Second Coming. I've been
> wondering what young LDS really think of the all
> that End Times BS.
>
> The further we creep into this new century the
> more irrelevant LDS becomes. This is actually fun
> to watch.

The farther we go the easier it will be to see that nobody is coming. And the religion will have nothing. Think of the year 2050 with no second coming happening. It will be harder to convince people of a second coming the farther we go.

Posted by: wheredoigonow ( )
Date: May 16, 2018 11:37PM

Funny. If you look at Nelson's first press conference as president. You will see that Oaks took over and corrected Nelson. What happened to Oaks' commandment to not criticize church leadrrs? Nelson seemed senile. He was too compassionate towards the LGBT members and Oaks pulled him back. If Oaks ever becomes president they should just remove Jesus Christ from the name. BTW not criticizing leaders goes as far down as the bishop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.