Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Don'tLikeMarieorJimmy ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:00AM

And stop selling anything to make a buck. Your time came, and now it's long gone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:07AM

I'm not a fan, but the Osmonds are not hurting me by continuing to perform, sell records, sell dolls, write books, or whatever they do. I don't pay attention to them.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 10:28PM

scmd1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't pay attention to them.

Exactly. And it's much easier to ignore them since I left the MoZone.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:10AM

Many years ago the family suffered huge financial losses. I think they are still trying to claw their way out of a very deep hole. Donny and Marie, I think, are contributing a great deal of money to the rest of their siblings. So they can't retire.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:22AM

And you know this how? I hadn't heard this before ie, they're supporting their extended family.

All the siblings had large families of their own. The older kids went off and did their own thing after the Osmond Brothers disbanded. Their past financial crises notwithstanding, they've made their nest egg in entertainment (Donny and Marie the longest standing.)

Marie does Nutri-System and other product endorsements?

Donny went into a home merchandising online web based business selling home decor. They've each branched out, but still define their self-identities by their icon status as celebrities.

Is Jimmy still performing with Donny and Marie?

Posted by: gerry1962 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:42AM

The last time Jimmy performed with Donny and Marie was in 1980 something so, no. The last people he performed with were his brothers Merrill and Jay, but he had a hissy fit when Jay remarried (they were best buds apparently) and now Jay and Merrill perform on their own, mainly in the UK where these is still a pretty big fan base, not all of it LDS (thank goodness). He's touting various 70s/Andy Williams tribute gigs in Branson and the UK.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:54AM

Here's Jimmy's current tour schedule (2018) for anyone who would appreciate his offerings:

http://jimmyosmond.com/jimmy-tour-schedule/

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:46AM

I mean, how would you know that and I'm wondering why on Earth he would care.

Are you implying Jimmy was such close friends with Jay that he wanted him all for himself. That seems odd.

notmo

Date: May 17, 2018 12:22PM

Because, on being asked the question why are you not working with Jay and Merrill anymore, Jimmy replied 'Jay got married. Whoops, I shouldn't have said that.' Is that enough for you?

Date: May 19, 2018 04:28PM

Once before someone (I know recall it was she) commented on Jay's wife. When I read your post I thought it was you.

Clearly it was Mary.

Date: May 17, 2018 12:24PM

notmonotloggedin Wrote:
> I mean, how would you know that and I'm wondering
> why on Earth he would care.
>
> Are you implying Jimmy was such close friends with
> Jay that he wanted him all for himself. That
> seems odd.
>
> notmo

Because, on being asked why he wasn't going to be performing with M & J anymore, Jimmy replied 'Jay got married. Whoops, shouldn't have said that, should I?' Big baby.

Posted by: Mary Poppins ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 02:53PM

Jimmy is not the bad guy in all this. He tried to keep everyone together but it was Jay's new wife that started throwing wrenches in things. She is a control freak. Jimmy did not throw a hissy fit because Jay remarried, it was later that the "new wife" became demanding and controlling Jay like a puppet. Her own kids are estranged from her. Jimmy is actually very hurt by the turn of events. He is not to blame.

Posted by: Mary Poppins ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 03:01PM

When Gerry posted this: "Because, on being asked why he wasn't going to be performing with M & J anymore, Jimmy replied 'Jay got married. Whoops, shouldn't have said that, should I?" -- IT DOES NOT MEAN BECAUSE JAY GOT MARRIED. I'M SURE HE IS REFERRING TO BECAUSE OF "WHO OR WHAT JAY MARRIED". Jimmy wanted Jay to find love and be happy, but anyone that knows "the new wife" knows she is an opportunist and controlling.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 02:21AM

Jimmy is the only one of them with any business sense.

Date: May 17, 2018 10:52AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> And you know this how?

They have a website, AJ. Have you checked it out?

http://osmond.com/2014/02/jimmy-osmond-losing-80m-was-the-best-thing-that-ever-happened/

"What did happen financially?

We lost about $80m, maybe $100m in today’s money [about £60m at current exchange rates] – but it’s actually the best thing that ever happened to my brothers and me because it made us really appreciate how to manage money and it forced us to refocus. We’d got to the point where we could have our own airplanes, and your attitude changes when you have that kind of money. It didn’t leave us destitute but we had to start over. It was a wonderful thing, because my brothers are the most humble guys you will ever meet.

You go to our homes now – they’re nice, but they’re not over the top. If it had turned out different with the money, we might have all turned out a little bit more arrogant. We were taken advantage of by our advisers but my dad would never sue them. He was never that kind of man. His handshake was as good as a contract and he was a great example to me."

Also:

"If not through record sales, how did you accumulate a fortune of $80m?

Through live entertainment. We played arenas all over the world and produced tons of movies. We always stayed true to what we were good at and performed and we were always able to make enough money through live entertainment to be able to underwrite other ventures and still have enough for our families."

And:

"And I still perform nearly 100 or so dates with my brothers every year."

"What are your financial plans for the future?

I’m kind of in a state of flux right now. I’m focused on doing what I do best, creating live entertainment, which I make a lot of money from."

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 03:00PM

That was in the 80's when the each of them had families of their own. Those children are now grown up and very capable of supporting their aging folks

Date: May 18, 2018 07:40AM

‘Thst’ - what are you referring to?

Interview was 4 years ago.

Family is still huslin’ for some coin. Interview also states 10% goes to the church.

Osmonds are attention seeking toddlers.

Date: May 18, 2018 12:09PM

carameldreams Wrote:
> ‘Thst’ - what are you referring to?
>
> Interview was 4 years ago.
>
> Family is still huslin’ for some coin. Interview
> also states 10% goes to the church.
>
> Osmonds are attention seeking toddlers.

Not talking about the interview, talking about when they went bankrupt. That was decades ago when they had young families.
Not so now. I think only Jimmy and Marie have a couple of kids who are still minors

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:39AM

> It was a wonderful thing, because my
> brothers are the most humble guys you will ever
> meet.

I've met them. Excluding Donny, this might be the biggest lie told by a Mormon since the 1830s.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 01:04AM

I watched quite a bit of him today, starting with the video I posted elsewhere on this thread, in which he and his brothers discuss their issues ("Being the Osmonds," 2003). Then I watched the Osmonds 50th reunion; and some guy interviewing Donny about his new furniture line, among other things; and another interview with Fern Britton. Then I went to his personal website and got a load of his "My Beliefs" videos. Holy crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM79VVpEu0c

Donny has more talent and charisma than all his siblings combined, imo, and he brings it *every time* and ya gotta give him that, and his self-deprecation is endearing. I have to say, though, he's sounding more egotistical and starting to look creepy, too. I liked him a lot until this afternoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 01:08AM by munchybotazv2.

Date: May 18, 2018 02:45AM

Bluster is often a smokescreen for severe social anxiety, which Donny has.

Date: May 19, 2018 05:52PM

trying to crawl inside someone else's head. I saw where he talked about having social anxiety. The rest of the time, he reminded me of Merrill often enough that it affected my opinion of him.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:46PM

I've actually met the guy. I understand his condition. He wouldn't even crack my personal "top 100 most arrogant people I've met" list.

Date: May 19, 2018 09:47PM

I've experienced that first hand actually.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 06:07PM

Donny came across as being somewhat arrogant on Dancing With the Stars. The demands of training on DWTS are such that it is very difficult for a celeb to hide his or her true inner nature. Fans of the show have seen a lot worse in terms of personalities, however.

Date: May 18, 2018 07:37AM

Old Name Levi Wrote:
> > It was a wonderful thing, because my
> > brothers are the most humble guys you will ever
> > meet.
>
> I've met them. Excluding Donny, this might be the
> biggest lie told by a Mormon since the 1830s.

Agreed.

If a person has to announce their (relayed) humility, it’s false.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 05:09AM

Not to mention they have furniture stores and extensive real estate holdings through their family real estate company. I don't think the family is hurting.

Date: May 17, 2018 01:40PM

Date: May 17, 2018 02:59PM

I doubt D&M are supporting their brothers, as their brothers have grow adult children of their own. For example, Wayne has a son who is a doctor who is a research scientist (cancer I believe).

Everyone has grown up, and so have their children.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:19PM

I can't stand how Mormons fawn over the Osmonds as if they were the greatest thing ever!

I've had a few experiences with the family and their over-sized egos. A few years ago, I was on a search committee interviewing candidates for a job where I work. One of the candidates went on and on about one of the Osmonds being a neighbor. A few days later, everyone on the committee got a call from Jay (?) telling us what a great guy the candidate was. The Mormons on the committee were thrilled! The non-Mormons just rolled their eyes. The guy wasn't qualified and didn't get the job, hurrah!

It seems that the Osmond name will sell anything. In Utah there all a lot of businesses with the Osmond name - real estate, home design store, video production. etc. The Mormons seem to go out of their way to patronize Osmond businesses, but I avoid them. Smacks of affinity fraud to me.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:33PM

Did any of their kids get into show biz? I thought one of Donny's sons was a musician? I can't think of anyone of them who is famous, but I don't really follow celebrities.

Date: May 18, 2018 02:56PM

Some of Allan sons are in the business as entertainers. The ones from the "2nd Generation" group.

There are a couple who work for Disney Corp.
Beyond that, no.

When they did that show with Oprah just prior to patriarch Osmond dying, there were almost 150/200???? I think

Either way, even Donny admits he doesn't know most of them, and that includes their names.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 03:57PM

The Osmonds lost all their money. They have no choice but to smile for dollars.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 05:30PM

I find any celebrity who constantly shills (furniture, dolls, weight loss plans, whatever) to be tiresome. Some celebrities have tons of money (hello, Oprah) and they still shill. When is enough, enough?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 06:33PM

summer Wrote:
> I find any celebrity who constantly shills
> (furniture, dolls, weight loss plans, whatever) to
> be tiresome. Some celebrities have tons of money
> (hello, Oprah) and they still shill. When is
> enough, enough?

From an industry standpoint, "shilling" can be an effective form of p.r., especially when there is a need to bridge between one career period and another. If these [effectively] "bridges" cannot be "constructed," then the celebrity most often seems to disappear from public consciousness.

One of the hardest things for most anyone [who knows the reality] to get across to non-show-biz raised celebrities is the [life-]long view...that you may be on the equivalent of "every" magazine cover, you may have Oscars on your mantel, you may have made media, and industry financial, history for your overwhelmingly successful work...and you may wind up broke and so totally forgotten that people who once idolized you have to squint to recognize who, once upon a time, you "were" and "are" now. This is why those who are wise tend to "live small" or "live medium" and put their earnings into strip malls and other, will-be-an-unbelievably-more-times-valuable-in-the-future real estate. (My thanks to Yale Summers for being the first to REALLY teach me this lesson.)

The economics of show business careers, unless those careers are very wisely handled, can be both unexpected and brutal.

Shilling can be one way of extending a career that has, or will soon, effectively go away...

...and, as well, it can also be of value to anyone who is thinking of a future career in politics (either as a principal, or as a behind-the-scenes power source).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 06:38PM by Tevai.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 05:02PM

Well if they are hard up for cash they could always do retail or fastfood, Can you imagine? lol!

(I'm not knocking working class jobs, I'm in a no skills job right now myself, it pays the bills)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 04:51AM

anono this week Wrote:
> Well if they are hard up for cash they could
> always do retail or fastfood, Can you imagine?
> lol!
>
> (I'm not knocking working class jobs, I'm in a no
> skills job right now myself, it pays the bills)

In the event that the previous reply was made in all seriousness:

The Osmonds could work in the fast food industry, but why should they when they can earn more by entertaining and/or shilling? As long as people are buying what they are selling, they're earning far more than if they had to work at near minimum wage jobs.

If you were joking, please ignore my response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2018 05:11AM by scmd1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.