Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kingbrighamthefirst ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:18AM

A relative wants to do temple work for my late wife. I'm opposed, as she would be if she were here.

Thus, is there a way to get her name on a list that specifically prohibits temple work? As a result of Mormons doing work for holocaust victims, is there a list Jewish people can use to tell Mormons "hands off"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:26AM

Mormons have only agreed to stop dead dunking Holocaust victims.

Other Jews are a "free-for-all." If there's a LDS member related to the Jewish clan, they contribute their names for them.

TSCC doesn't even require that, per all the Jewish people who've been dead dunked. Elie Wiesel was slated to be dead dunked with his deceased parents while he was still living!

Let the relative know you're opposed and why. Other than this, until there's a court action that will prohibit the Mormon church from posthumously dead dunking via a court mandated order telling them to cease and desist, I know of no other way to prevent them from doing that.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:06AM

Mormons should be ashamed of this atrocious practice.

People say, even here, it doesn't matter, it's all make believe.

That was the reasoning I used when I allowed my MIL to do my dead daughter's endowment ceremony.

Now it really bugs me--especially knowing it would have happened whether I said yes or not.

It matters, but there's not a lot you can do besides try to guilt them into doing the right thing by following your wishes.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:13AM

A couple of years ago, a Mormon married couple asked me if they could do the Temple work for my deceased parents. I said I didn't care one way or the other. As far as I know the couple never did the work, but I have no evidence that Temple work would affect my deceased parents or myself one bit, so I didn't care. I reasoned that if it made the Mormon couple happy and gave them something to do, I wasn't going to object.

Date: May 17, 2018 10:09AM

You basically gave them consent to do the deed, whether you approved or not. If that's how they go about doing the work of non-relatives, then that's how they do it.

Pretty cocky, insular, and in-your-face. If you'd said no, would they have pretended you said yes? Or gone around you and gotten someone else's "consent?"

I'm adamantly opposed to the practice. Yet with so many of my family still in the cult, and the Mormons have my record of resignation, it will be only a matter of when, not if, after I'm gone they'll posthumously baptize me even though that is against my wishes for this life and the world to come.

Why cannot they respect our right to our religious preference? Because they consider themselves above the law and basic human rights to self-determination. And common decency and civility. It is utterly disrespectful to both the living and the deceased.

Our knowing that we can't do a thing about it after we're gone must make them feel very smug indeed. That is abhorrent on its face. Whether it's make believe to others is not the point. To the cult, they take it morbidly serious. Shame on them for not "getting it."

Date: May 17, 2018 10:40AM

When the whole thing is so phony, it's hard to articulate why it matters. You did a good job. It matters.

Posted by: brotherofjared ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 08:39AM

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Reinhold Niebuhr

I have zero input on what happens in Mormon temples and I don't want any input. I went through in the 70's and in the 80's decided to not participate in activities that made me uncomfortable and did not pay a wage. Like religion. I don't believe that temple activities have any effect what-so-ever on my passed on loved ones. Unless a person wants to worry, then have at it. It is a choice.

Date: May 18, 2018 09:40AM

We may not ever agree, but I'll try again to say why this bugs me.

If a Mormon wants to take my daughter's name and do any number of crazy rituals in the temple--they can--on the daily. I don't care, just keep it inside the temple.

I'm a stone cold atheist and I think she is completely unavailable for any insult.

When these same people crow about what they've done and shove it in my face and treat me poorly i.e. ignore my loss because my dead kid is a tidy, finished, Mormon--it hurts.

Yes I choose to let those jerks bother me--most days not much or at all. I don't forgive or forget. I just learn and accept.

Date: May 17, 2018 10:49AM

Part of why it ended up mattering to me is that the bishop reported that he'd enquired, and the "work" would have to wait for a year after her death to be done.

Why? He didn't say it was because it was a suicide death, but a cancer death wouldn't have had the same wait.

So a year rolls around and I decided to have a gathering. I called it a pity party. I very generously invited my MIL which she didn't deserve because she'd been just horrid before and after my daughter's death.

She declined my invitation so she could go to Salt Lake and perform voodoo in the temple with the rest of my TBM family--none of whom bothered to acknowledge my picture collage one year mailing.

In fact, once the endowment was done, they were all so pleased with themselves, they never really acknowledged my daughter's life again.

So yeah, I don't care if they twirl and throw carrots in the air in that temple, but when they use their smug little club to snub living people--they can rot in the hell I don't believe in.

Date: May 17, 2018 11:47AM

That was just horrible to do that with no respect for the living or the deceased. To heck with those morons anyway. That isn't love. It's a sanctimonious ceremony, nothing more.

Wish there was a legitimate way to undo those proxy baptisms, and make them null and void for people like ourselves. Because it MATTERS to US. Creepy ceremony anyway.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:20PM

Dorothy, I believe in hell. It makes me feel better because certain evil persons should be there, especially if they had no punishment while they lived for their evil.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:13AM

And did she give you any answers as to whether she'd do it if you said no? Does she have enough respect for you and your wife that she would not do it if you tell her you don't want it done?

That's the clincher. Why did she even ask if she is going to do it no matter you say? I'd like to know what her reply is if you tell her no.

I have no doubt, unless my daughter finds her way out by then, that I will be dead dunked within the established period of time after my death by my daughter. My nonmormon boyfriend thinks she'll try to dunk him, too. No. She won't. She wants her parents together. She'll have all our work done or re-established once her mommy and daddy are dead.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 09:49AM

Can we put Joseph on TRIAL after the fact for all
the CRIMES he committed against humanity? Then once
convicted throw all the PROFITS straight into HELL.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:22PM

JS has been tried after death and surely is burning in ......

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:05AM

We all know "temple work" is busy work. I suppose a case could be made (it's been attempted) that since dues are required for entrance to this "private temple club", and that one of the "rites" of this club is BFD, then the church™ taking money from people they've duped into doing ceremonies they shouldn't.

That didn't make a lick of sense. Hmmmm.

TL;DR: Members pay money to do unnecessary BFD, therefore temple is a money scam.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:23AM

But...it IS all nonsense make-believe, not affecting anything.
And there IS nothing you can really do about it.

So why get all worked up over it?

I agree the most annoying part is that they "ask" you, as if they wouldn't do it if you said "no." Which is silly, 'cause they'll do it anyway.

But it's meaningless drivel. They're going to play out their little fantasy whether you want them to or not, so just ignore it.

If it makes you feel better, do something like this (just as "real" and "meaningful" as what they do):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwhUSsIBjY

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:27AM

Your religion wasn't good enough. Here, Have our religion.

Posted by: Thomas $. Monson ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:29AM

Kingbrighamthefirst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A relative wants to do temple work for my late
> wife. I'm opposed, as she would be if she were
> here.
>
> Thus, is there a way to get her name on a list
> that specifically prohibits temple work? As a
> result of Mormons doing work for holocaust
> victims, is there a list Jewish people can use to
> tell Mormons "hands off"?

In Italy, a court order issued by the Italian Data Protection Authority stated that the COJCOLDS is not allowed to use dead people's names, or former members' names, if the person didn't authorize the COJCOLDS to do temple work for themselves through a written statement while he or she was alive.

See also my post and the discussion on this board in 2016: https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1919660

An interesting question could be: after the Rome temple is completed, will the Mormons ignore the court order and perform rituals for the dead anyway? Technically, according to that court order, all the rituals for the dead are illegal in Italy, so the temple itself is completely useless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 11:36AM by Thomas $. Monson.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:54PM

Probably, or they might just recycle names from Scandinavian countries.

Date: May 17, 2018 01:08PM

Good point. Come to think of it, the court order is valid for Italian citizens, but not necessarily for non-Italians (or at least I assume this is the case; I'm not 100% sure). So the Mormons could use foreign names.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:47PM

So what, they do deceased Italians in other countries, but non-Italians in the (eventual) Rome temple? This makes it a Pharisaical spirit-vs-letter of the law maneuver.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:53PM

At which the church excels! There are none better, and few that compare.

The church obeys only the law of profit.

Date: May 17, 2018 03:05PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what, they do deceased Italians in other
> countries, but non-Italians in the (eventual) Rome temple?

Exactly.
Unless they completely ignore the court order. Since the "sacred" rituals are secret, there would be no way for law enforcement officers to check if they are also doing temple work for deceased Italians.

> This makes it a Pharisaical
> spirit-vs-letter of the law maneuver.

Date: May 18, 2018 06:36AM

Am glad to learn Italy had the balls to pass a court order. Maybe other countries will take notice and follow suit. It takes leadership to do that.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:30PM

They must have the names as an excuse to open their temples which require tithes. Without the names, much of their money source would dry up. Anyone who won't or can't pay tithes for temple admittance is a second class citizen.

It's a disrespectful practice but mormons don't care. It's the same as peeing on a grave or ripping up a will.

I don't want my good name dragged through cult rituals but there isn't much to be done about it. All we have left after death is the memories we've left and those are muddied in this despicable way in mormon temples.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 01:38PM

If I were to change my stand on this matter of BFtD, what is the recommended amount of time I should set aside on a daily, or weekly, or monthly basis, to seat and stew about it? Is there any internet device, or an app, that would help me honor my commitment to brood, or otherwise act out, at the approved intervals?

Or is just entirely a freeform activity, depending on inspiration and the need for attention?

I gotz ta know!

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 04:18AM

3years after I married my NeverMo husband his mother died. My temple worker parents informed us they had”done” the work for his late parents. He was basically “Ho hum. “ when they started prosing on about church rubbish he just politely zoned out. If he ever had the idea that his parents had been forcibly turned into Mormons,albeit farcically, he would be furious. It didn’t occur to me for many years how arrogant and inconsiderate this was

Posted by: beardedatBYU ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 05:34PM

If it was your wife’s wishes to not have it done your relative should (but probably won’t) respect that. At the same time, to argue it gives it a certain kind of legitimacy. If you don’t believe in it, don’t believe it’s of any efficacy, then why care?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.