Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:07PM

I lost count of the number of lies and logical fallacies.
==========================================================

Stan Gudmundson writes ...
==========================

"Why do certain atheists continually proselytize their faith? One would think that they would be more timid about expounding on their beliefs and would be cautious in insisting that there is no Creator, no God. Some seem really angry and full of hate for God and his followers.

Why do atheists use their faith to try destroy mine? With their contempt and vitriol, what are they trying to accomplish? Theirs is a faith without hope. So what is the motive in pushing it? Who gave them this mission?

It requires an incredible arrogance and hubris to constantly tell us that they don’t believe in God. And that we who do are veritable idiots.

No God they say? They might erroneously conclude that based on “superior” intellect, on a lifelong study of the subject, and a certainty that they have the truth. They have convinced themselves that they are smart enough (they aren’t) and know enough (they don’t) to conclude that they have the absolute truth based on logic, study, and brains alone.

Wrong, dear atheist proselytizer, you can’t. You must conclude that there is no God based totally on an act of faith. It is impossible not to.

We have very short lifespans. We all have comparatively small brains and cannot “know” everything. Our limits do not give us the ability or opportunity to conclude that God does or does not exist. Unless we commit to an act of faith. Atheists commit to one kind and I, to another. Sorry Bubba, but you can’t have it any other way.

There are so many unknowns. I am fascinated by the theories describing the birth of our universe. The Big Bang for one but it’s not the Big Bang that interests me. What interests me is what existed before the Big Bang and how it got there. There is no answer. That attests to the limits of our knowledge and our lack of ability to even know.

To contend evolution is evidence there is no God is also a non-starter. One has to assume that “evolution” was not and is not directed by a Divine Being. Whatever one concludes, it is also an act of faith. Another interesting fact about evolution is that all of the “evidence” is anecdotal, not hard science.

As for the Bible, an atheist has to believe, again in an act of faith, that God’s Word isn’t true and that He did not divinely inspire it. One must have an incredible faith in one’s own infallibility to draw such conclusions. Unfortunately, a faith in self that approaches delusion.

And then there is the witness and evidence that God is. Most Christians are certain that He exists. He is in our lives and many of us have experienced Him up close and personal.

In my case, there is concrete evidence that God intervened in my life. I won’t get into the details except to say it is fact.

And this. Once a Christian friend and I were visiting a touristy town in California. As we entered one establishment, I heard in my brain a shout, “get out, get out, you don’t belong in here.” I was overwhelmed with the horrible feeling of being in presence of something truly terrible, truly evil. The hair on the back of my neck and arms stood straight up.

I told myself that I was never going to tell anyone about this. No one would believe me. Or they would think something else about me. We didn’t stay long.

When my friend, who was ahead of me, turned and looked at me, she had a really funny look on her face. As we walked out the door, she asked, did you feel that? She had experienced what I had.

That incident was as real to both of us as the nose on your face. Now, Mr. Atheist, look at all the evil in this world and explain away this encounter to me.

As C.S. Lewis said, we live in occupied territory. Atheists don’t know what it is like to live in God’s grace in the fellowship of believers. How sad. So, we pray for them. Apparently, for some, we must pray harder."

http://fillmorecountyjournal.com/the-faith-of-the-atheist-faithful/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:22PM

Yes, the typical pile of fallacy, dishonesty, and "faith."
Snore.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:25PM

If we Christians simply lived the tenants of our faith, we might not convert atheists, but we might earn their respect.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:26PM

Amen, brother Boner.
Some of you already do...:)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 12:30PM

That way of religious thinking being projected on a topic like atheism that is not similar doesn't make sense. That person has zero exposure to logical fallacies.

The examples they give are pointless to an atheist since they do not rule out even the most obvious of plausible explanations. "God did it" is not the first explanation just because someone wants to think it is.

What part of "I don't see any convincing evidence and simply don't harbor a belief" is so hard to understand? Faith and praying is code for no plausible evidence. They can pray all they want for atheists, but they are going to have to come up with much higher standards for evidence or be dismissed out of hand. I don't know why they can't extrapolate that their reasons for god are the same reasons I could use to justify anything I want (such as tree spirits or faith in invisible unicorns).

It's not that I need more faith to believe in Thor. I would need more evidence. That evidence would need to be extraordinarily sound.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 02:07PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.