Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blissfulcrush ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 09:29PM

I'm moving and a faker Mormon as it's easier to deal with that way for me. I've got to the point where I've set new roots anyways with people I can be honest to.

Anyways once I move I'm hoping I could get my records moved somewhere else than where I'm actually going. I don't know of any other Mormons in the city I'm going to but it's still close enough to home that if someone in that new ward or stake did recognize my name and saw I'm not going it could be problematic. Or who knows what else.

Can I call a ward a couple hundred miles away or out of state and tell them to move my.records in? Will they have access to viewing my past/ current ward and potentially call my previous Bishop? Do bishops have the ability to view anyone's records even if it's not in the stake boundaries? Are bishops notified when a name is leaving their jurisdiction and are they able to see the new address?

Also will bishops even move your record without you having gone to church there yet first? I almost did this once I meant to go on a Sunday but apparently it was stake conference ealier that day so I got worried the ward that I had been claiming to be going to had been dissolved becuaee the building was empty haha so I frea ked out and called that ward bishop and he explained the situation and also was willing to move my records :p

Hoping he never called my current bishop about me never going and I'm hoping he didn't even have access to my past/ future bishops. Anyone know?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 19, 2018 09:37PM

Tscc is possessive to the point of being stalkerish haha. Everything about tscc is like an abusive relationship, like for reals! Mann this crap :p

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 09:42PM by blissfulcrush.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 11:04PM

Or you could just resign and be done with them.

Instructions are on the main page.

Date: May 20, 2018 12:25AM

I also posted on Reddit, some ideas there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/8kqa5g/church_records_can_bishops_look_up_people_outside/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 02:53PM by blissfulcrush.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:19AM

Its been my experience if you dont show up at church nobody gives a $@#&. Unless you got family that provokes the ward. There are a lot of inactives out there that are just ignored.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:24AM

Just move and forget about it. Dont worry about moving records. Just move and go on with your life. That's what I did and it's been almost 10 years now. Haven't heard a word from them.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:39AM

If being a "faker" Mormon is easier, why all these questions? Lying to them to hide your membership is not easy. Once they figure out you gave them a phony address, they will look for your correct address. They will probably find it, and send your records to your local ward. Plus they will now know you lied to them.

I don't see that as an improved situation.

If you don't want them to have your membership record, stop having a membership record. That takes about 10 minutes, and guarantees that your membership record will not follow you when you move.

If, on the other hand, you want to participate in your new ward, but don't want them to see your membership record, that's pretty much impossible. Once they get to know you at all, the first thing they will do is request your records. You could lie and give them a fake name, but they would soon figure that out too, and then they'd know you lied to them twice.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:03AM

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:22AM

The only faker mormons I know of who get away with it at least minimally participate in church. Attend once a month, or go for one hour just to show their face.

I'm an avoider too, but at some point we've got to decide which is easier. Avoiding telling your family, or coming out of the unbeliever closet and being truthful and letting the chips fall where they may.

What do you have to lose by telling your family the truth? Help with college? Are they the type who will cut you out of their lives?

Date: May 20, 2018 02:48PM

Hi!
No it would be more of a pain dealing with them trying to reactive me and the bs that goes with it. And I don't want to upset the community that knows me and let my mom's heart get broke over it. Keeping it down low isn't as important now, when I stopped believing I was still stuck living at home and would be stuck in a very awkward uncomfortable living situation if I came out then, Now I'm just so used to it and it's not getting in the way of my personal life anymore. This is my first post here in years; it's not often I'm having to recalculate my moves this tediously.

There's just no drama right now, it's fine. The only way I see myself needing to be upfront is if I'm going to be starting a family, then they'll have to know how I'm raising my kids, I won't bring bs into a situation like that.

So the once a month thing is what I was thinking and even just sacrament, that's only 12 hours a year so whatever haha.. I sent a link on Reddit more ideas actually did come up there.. I'm considering I may eventually send my records to Latin America xD

Edit: and yeah an occasional church meeting couldn't be bad I wouldn't mind staying in the loop with what's going on with the Mormon community

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 02:56PM by blissfulcrush.

Posted by: logged out, nli ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 07:57PM

"So the once a month thing is what I was thinking"

"it would be more of a pain dealing with them trying to reactive me"

I don't get this. If you go to SM every month, then you could be legitimately viewed as active. So they wouldn't have to "reactivate" you.

Also, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to regularly attend a ward and not expect that ward to have your records on file. Each time you show up gives them yet another opportunity to swarm you. Sorry, but you seem to want it both ways.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:57PM

We’ve been four years now and the church still thinks we’re in our old location. The Kentucky missionaries call for an appointment. We ignore them.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 07:42PM

Give 'em an address on the moon. They've never been there and won't recognize the zip line code.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.