Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:35AM

I've had an amazing 30 days.

My dad passed on March 21st, I was at work in Virginia and since then, I was able to go home for a 4 day period during which I just walked the house. They were collectors - any idea what 200 pieces of carnival glass look like on one display? how about 191 rhinos? Great stacks of limoges china. I mean stack after stack after stack.

Words cannot describe.

Sister bought the house from the estate and had a really tight schedule to deal with, but my work schedule is really a tough one to deal with as well. I came to work on april 2 and worked until April 24th, when I went home. I walked in the hoarder house around 11 p.m. on the 24th and organized the estate sale wed, thur, fri and held the actual sale on sat & sun. The mormon mishies stopped by saturday night. I had a laugh at that.

Monday was spent cleaning up and I had a red eye flight to NYC at 9p.m. I had an errand to run in Manhattan (i walked each and every actual dollar from the estate sale into a diamond dealer and got myself a sparkle treat) and when I was done, I went up to Hyde Park for 2 days to wander the FDR Library & estate. Went back home, wrote a short story about the events of late, spent the next few days in edits, cover design and then got it self published as I was heading on my way back here to work on Friday the 11th. Today marks the 60 days since pop died and I just cannot believe what I accomplished in the last 30.

I used to HATE Sundays. Sundays were a living hell - so said my mother on at least one occasion. I detested the mormon church, literally everything about it. I really couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that we were throwing a perfectly good day into the trash by wasting it at that horrid church!

Now Sundays are my favorite and today is the first one that I get all to MYSELF!!!!!!!

As I write this, all I can think about are those poor kids that are being forced into misery today. I sip my hotel coffee and TTFC I'm out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 09:21AM

Yes, even after nearly 25 years Sundays still seem special not having to attend those horrid meetings. I am retired so everyday is like a Sunday. I belong to a gym that is open 24/7. On Sunday mornings I have the gym to myself. It is like my own private workout. Later going for a walk in the wetlands near our home then play some music and work on some arrangements for the band. Sundays are great.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 09:27AM

I love days when I have nothing that needs to be done. They are everything I hoped and dreamed they could be.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 09:32AM

I watched the show Hoarders this morning, and wonder how easy it is for some people to fall into that category because of some OCD or other impairment they struggle with?

Having to clean out someone else's hoard could be a nightmare, not knowing what to keep or what might be valuable, etc.

Bet you're glad that aspect of grieving your dad's death is behind you now.

My maternal grandmother loved to collect things - antiques, you-name-it. She collected it. Although she had a place for each item she collected, and everything in its place when we would visit. Somehow she was able to pull it altogether in her little Cape Cod to make it work. After she died my aunts & uncle hauled her stuff off to San Francisco to sell at an estate auction. Part of remembering our Grandmother was her charming Cape filled to the brim with that collection of hers. It was like a fairy-tale cottage that captured our imaginations. :-)

Sorry for your loss on the passing of your father. Glad you are able to reclaim your Sundays though. That's something to treasure!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 09:36AM

Eat your heart out Dan Peterson!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:01AM

Getting through all of that took guts.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:42PM

I had to work today. But now am off and went to the store to get groceries.

There was a time years ago when I use to look around at who was shopping and thinking they were all sinners! and going to Hell! and the devil was out to get anyone I saw.

Didn't think anything like that today, (I've improved my thought process :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.