Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 07:16AM

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-47-exaltation?lang=eng

Blessings of Exaltation
What are some blessings that will be given to those who are exalted?

Our Heavenly Father is perfect, and He glories in the fact that it is possible for His children to become like Him. His work and glory is “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39).

Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will receive special blessings. The Lord has promised, “All things are theirs” (D&C 76:59). These are some of the blessings given to exalted people:

They will live eternally in the presence of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (see D&C 76:62).

They will become gods (see D&C 132:20–23).

They will be united eternally with their righteous family members and will be able to have eternal increase.

They will receive a fulness of joy.

They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have—all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge (see D&C 132:19–20). President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: “The Father has promised through the Son that all that he has shall be given to those who are obedient to His commandments. They shall increase in knowledge, wisdom, and power, going from grace to grace, until the fulness of the perfect day shall burst upon them” (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [1954–56], 2:36; italics in original).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 07:45AM

here's why the LDS church keeps the "big 15" away from media interviews most of the time:

Prophet Seer & Revelator Gordon B Hinckley

“I don’t know that we teach it. I don’t know that we emphasize it. I haven’t heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don’t know. I don’t know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it, but I don’t know a lot about it, and I don’t think others know a lot about it.”

The reporter wrote, “On whether his church still holds that God the Father was once a man, he sounded uncertain.” That’s an unfortunate conclusion. Of course I wasn’t at the interview and neither were you but I’ll bet the reporter mistook careful thoughtfulness for uncertainty. This doctrine is indeed deep territory and not something that is taught outside the LDS Church.

“There are some significant differences in your beliefs. For instance, don’t Mormon’s believe that God was once a man?” President Hinckley responded, “I wouldn’t say that. There is a little couplet coined, ‘As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.'”

He then said, “Now that’s more of a couplet than anything else. That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don’t know very much about.” The reporter pounced on this. “So you’re saying that the church is still struggling to understand this? ” President Hinckley responded, “Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly.”

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 07:10PM

Hinkley denying that men can become gods and his "I am sustained as such." Line about being a prophet were major weights on my shelf.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 11:05AM

What does it even mean to be “perfect”??
The implication is: make no mistakes
I suppose if as god, you are alone in your dominion of power, making mistakes just doesn’t happen. Not because you’re special, but simply because there isn’t any corrective force at work.
I am perfect in my dogs eyes...therefore I must be a god!!
Seems like a pretty meaningless phrase.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 02:19PM

So?

What concern is it of yours what any religion teaches about heaven or our eternal purpose or destiny? We will all find out who has been deceived soon enough.

I would be much more concerned about LDS teachings about their beliefs as restored Israel or God's chosen people. These become the entitled pr_cks with a superiority complex you must deal with here and now.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 04:04PM

reports were that at the next GC, Gordo back-tracked on what he said in that interview;

Yes, truly: A Man For All Seasons!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 04:15PM

The ultimate hoax needs the ultimate payoff.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 05:33PM

My father a god, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! He'll have a whole planet of atheists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2018 05:33PM by donbagley.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 06:03PM

Gordon B. Hinckley told me, one on one, that he had doubts...

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 05, 2018 07:24PM

Those leaders are the last people i would pick to be gods. "Let's go shopping!!!" jeeeesus.

Date: June 05, 2018 07:26PM

I don't understand what the big thrill about becoming a god would be. It's literally the last thing i want to become.

Date: June 05, 2018 11:56PM

That's about right.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.