Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 05:21PM

So the new profit wants young people to look like, sound like, act like, and dress like a true disciple of Jesus Christ.

"5. Stand out and be different from the world. “You and I know that you are to be a light to the world,” he said. “Therefore, the Lord needs you to look like, sound like, act like, and dress like a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Yes, you are living in the world, but you have very different standards from the world to help you avoid the stain of the world.” "
https://www.ldschurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2018-06-03/president-nelson-invites-youth-to-enlist-in-the-lords-battalion-by-doing-5-specific-things-47283

So should they grow their hair out, don robes and sandals and hang out with sinners?

http://artsreview.com.au/david-lachapelle-exhibition-headlines-ballarat-international-foto-biennale/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 05:32PM

Wow...that's a new one. The "stain of the world."

Just more of that pure superiority complex that they instill into the youth. It's essentially that old spiel from the archaic old farts at the top of a dying cult, "be in the world but not of the world..you are a royal generation." The implication is that the world is inferior, a bad place - we're better, i.e. we're God's in embryo."

Date: June 06, 2018 05:36PM

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i.e. we're God's in embryo."

Just what Jesus wanted for people right? Pharisaically fanatical puritanically authoritarian zealots for God and a country full of stains they want to avoid while loving the republic for which they can't stand if it doesn't let them Sanhedrin the Hell out of everyone else in that country.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 09:46PM

Bill Wrote:
> Wow...that's a new one. The "stain of the world."
>
>
> Just more of that pure superiority complex that
> they instill into the youth. It's essentially
> that old spiel from the archaic old farts at the
> top of a dying cult, "be in the world but not of
> the world..you are a royal generation." The
> implication is that the world is inferior, a bad
> place - we're better, i.e. we're God's in embryo."

You are exactly right bill. It's almost like they keep the same speeches in a vault to read year after year with maybe a few word changes.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 01:00PM

Bill Wrote:
> Wow...that's a new one. The "stain of the world."
>

Doesn't the stain require a blue dress?

Date: June 07, 2018 01:13PM

Whose is it? The Great Whore?

Date: June 07, 2018 01:32PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Whose is it? The Great Whore?

I guess the Profit could also be called a whore for TSCC. Now picture him in a blue dress.

Date: June 07, 2018 06:44PM

captainklutz Wrote:
> I guess the Profit could also be called a whore
> for TSCC. Now picture him in a blue dress.

I don't have to.

https://photos.ldschurchnews.com/file/2cd05a2866/dnews/galleryImageLarge/elder-russell-m-nelson-and-sister-wendy-nelson-attend-the.jpg

Date: June 07, 2018 07:32PM

Here I was going for the cheap joke and they beat me to it!!! ;->

Date: June 08, 2018 10:58AM

LOL! It took me awhile to find her in a blue dress. She likes blue tops.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 05:36PM

Waste you life doing stupid callings, wear a 1950s business suit, pay your tithes and be a condescending, self righteous jack ass like the new profit.

Yes, I guess you will stand out from the world.

Date: June 06, 2018 05:42PM

perky Wrote:
> Yes, I guess you will stand out from the world.

As opposed to stained out and be different from the world?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/relax-fans-johnny-depp-is-%e2%80%98healthy%e2%80%99-%e2%80%98purposely%e2%80%99-losing-weight/ar-AAyj7mJ?ocid=spartandhp

I wonder if you were a good Mormon and hung out with a Hollywood Vampire? Would the bishop call you on it?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 06:21PM

"Yes, you are living in the world, but you have very different standards from the world to help you avoid the stain of the world.”

Well hardy har har har! Talk about blowing smoke up the kids asses!

The Mormons just can't stop putting the world down. Their only hope of looking good is to make everyone else look bad.

Unfortunately society at large is moving every day toward more kindness, inclusion, and empathy. A step back now and then but the trajectory win general is good. Mormons couldn't reach the higher standards of current society even if they tried.

I live in a non Mormon world and these people I know and work with love their families, help each other all the time asking for nothing, and are not judgmental. The Mormons could use more of that kind of "stain" on themselves.

Date: June 07, 2018 10:35AM

> kind of "stain" on themselves.
They are.

They make themselves more than separate but secluded from the goodness of the world in avoiding the dirt of the world.

Ivory towers are terrible places to do good.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 10:50AM

> The Mormons just can't stop putting the world down. Their only hope of looking good is to make everyone else look bad. >

Truly, LDSinc puts down the world.

It should put itself down. Pick itself up every once in a while, play with itself, and put itself back down.

The ldsC isn't following, but isn't leading either. It's world is too small, and it's head too big.

It's under pressure.
Full of hot air.

M@t

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 07:29PM

How about:

"Stand out and be different from the robotic mormon cult members around you!" instead?

Naw, that'll never fly...

Date: June 07, 2018 12:57PM

I've never understood how being like the shepherd is being like a sheep...and a little child shall lead them...

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 09:34PM

Sounds like a revival of the old "Dare to be Different" campaign from the '50s and '60s.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 09:42PM

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

-- II Corinthians, chapter 6, verses 17 - 18. KJV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 01:14PM by commongentile.

Date: June 07, 2018 10:33AM

Be ye therefore neo-Jews of the new world.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 10:56AM

Date: June 07, 2018 12:29PM

I sort of agree. Mormons love rules and rule following but not to the degree of The Pharisees when it comes to their food. A big part of being like The Pharisees was following the food rules.

Mormons gobble down meat all the time, all year long, all the while prohibiting beer.

Makes no sense in light of their "Scripture."

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 11:05AM

Lack of love (in all its forms) is NOT attractive.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 11:06AM

You learn something new everyday, I tell ya! I didn't realize that Jesus wore Giorgio Armani suits! After all, the GA's claim to follow him to a "T" and want the LDS to stand out from the world; what better way to do that than to look as sleek as a race horse?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 12:59PM

From the movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"
One of the best lines from a movie.
This whole thing by Nelson brought it to my memory.

From Dr John Prentice (Sidney Poitier) to his father

"And not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the deadweight of you be off our backs! You understand? You've got to get off my back!"

Posted by: Familydestroyers ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 02:51PM

I think they are trying to change the youth so hard they will eventually become part of the worlds oldest profession for money.

Sheepherders

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 04:28PM

Since Mormons already "stand out like sore thumbs," pushing to stand out even more is not really a good idea.

I doubt Mormons are anybody's idea of this Christ thing so many are in to. What once was peculiar is now just disconnected and offensive.

Date: June 07, 2018 06:48PM

I think maybe this is why words don't affect me really. I have sat through so many of these type of speeches to last me a lifetime.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 07:54PM

They couldn't if they tried

Date: June 07, 2018 08:12PM

I think they need to add at the end of that speech, "and make sure you pay your tithing and fast offerings as well."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.