Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 07:49PM

After many years of teaching, retirement is officially here! Tomorrow is the first day that my time is mine. I love to be home and also able to attend some social activities, etc. In August, I am going to Panama with my family! This is just really exciting, and I wanted to share with y'all. (Especially with those of you who are already members of the retirement club)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 07:51PM

Congratulations. Everyone I know that has retired looks physically happier and less tired than when they were working. A very interesting concept.

Date: June 10, 2018 07:53PM

jett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congratulations. Everyone I know that has retired
> looks physically happier and less tired than when
> they were working. A very interesting concept.

I noticed that, too.

Date: June 10, 2018 07:52PM

Oh and I'm glad to not be in tscc, because I'm sure they would dream up assignments to eat up all my time. Hooray! And to them I say, so long, suckas!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 08:20PM

And don't forget the estate planners to show up on your doorstep wanting you to leave your earthly estate to TSCC.

We all dodged a bullet with that by leaving. Thank God for small favors. Greedy buggars anyway. Yet how many people get sucked in by their spiel? More than we know, no doubt.

Date: June 10, 2018 07:59PM

Congrats to you on your retirement! I still have some time to go before I can take that leap.

Any special reason for wanting to see Panama? Or just because? Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. :)

Date: June 10, 2018 08:12PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Congrats to you on your retirement! I still have
> some time to go before I can take that leap.
>
> Any special reason for wanting to see Panama? Or
> just because? Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. :)

My son in law is from Panama, and his mom still has a house there. She goes every year for a few weeks! Well, we had planned to also go to Puerto Rico, but that's not a good choice right now. We thought about Cuba, not now. So Panama it is!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 03:08AM

And I've heard from a friend who was recently in PR that tourist dollars are needed more than ever. Unless you're talking about going during hurricane season.

I'm so happy for you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 10:54AM by Beth.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 07:59PM

Congratulations! And, while you’re in Panama, be sure to break the Word of Wisdom and Morg dress code :)

Date: June 10, 2018 08:14PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Congratulations! And, while you’re in Panama, be
> sure to break the Word of Wisdom and Morg dress
> code :)

You better believe it, Boner! YOLO!!!! I'm doing all the fun s### available!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 08:03PM

Date: June 10, 2018 08:22PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> n/t

Thank you, cheryl! You are so sweet!

Posted by: summer ( )

Congratulations, Aquarius! You've earned it, now enjoy it!

Date: June 10, 2018 08:15PM

summer Wrote:
> Congratulations, Aquarius! You've earned it, now
> enjoy it!

You're right behind me, summer! I'm looking over my shoulder for you!

Posted by: Tevai ( )

Oh, Wow--Congratulations to you, Aquarius!

Have a wonderful trip to Panama, plus many, many years of happy retirement, during which you can do WHATEVER you want!

:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 09:06PM by Tevai.

Date: June 10, 2018 08:19PM

Tevai Wrote:
> Oh, Wow--Congratulations to you, Aquarius!
>
> Have a wonderful trip to Panama, plus many, many
> years of happy retirement, during which you can
> WHATEVER you want!
>
> :D

Thank you, dear Tevai! There is still plenty of meaningful and fun stuff to do! Every single age groups we pass through has it's disadvantages and it's advantages. Grandparenthood and retirement are 2 of the pluses the later years bring!:^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 08:20PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 08:26PM

I have been retired now a little over 2 years. It is great. I transitioned from engineering to being an active musician. It is fun to associate with folks who have had such different life experiences. So good to be out of Mormonism to more fully enjoy this time.

Take care of your health. Exercise daily. Keep fit as best you can.

Date: June 10, 2018 09:05PM

((Eric))) You are right about exercise and fitness! Having an orthopedic handicap, I start physical therapy next week. Finally I have time for this! There is a gym here where I live, but I haven't been going much because of commuting, work, teaching homebound after my regular job 3 days a week, and all that jazz. Now I can go every day. Yeah, both my kids have impressed upon me how important exercise is.
I'm glad you have been able to persue your musical career! I bet it keeps you on your toes! One thing I have started last month is teaching Chinese students English online! It's actually fun and gives me extra $.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 09:06PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 09:48PM

Welcome. Best job I never had.

Date: June 10, 2018 10:08PM

Kentish Wrote:
> Welcome. Best job I never had.

LOL@ Kentish!

Date: June 10, 2018 10:11PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 09:50PM

Congratulations on your retirement and your contributions as a teacher. May many years and fun adventures follow!

Date: June 10, 2018 10:09PM

dagny Wrote:
> Congratulations on your retirement and your
> contributions as a teacher. May many years and fun
> adventures follow!

Thanks dagny! Adventures awaiteth!

Date: June 10, 2018 10:10PM

V

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: June 10, 2018 10:05PM

Enjoy your retirement! Congratulations!

Date: June 11, 2018 03:35AM

I appreciate it, knotheadusc! Best wishes to you, also!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 12:26AM

Hooray for you!
Enjoy!!! :D

Date: June 11, 2018 03:36AM

((((Kathleen))))

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 12:46AM

My closest friend at work (with whom I still stay in touch) foretold, accurately, that I would be much better at being "retired" than I ever was at being "employed."

I never wanted the job in the first place - the ex forced me to get a job when I was perfectly happy churning out short stories for magazines (and selling some of them.) But he wanted a dependable, every-other-week paycheck. And in the end, tolerating this for 30 years paid off.

It's nice to get paid for doing whatever I feel like doing! And to have good health insurance, to boot.

Enjoy, Aquarius! You have earned every minute of it!!!

Date: June 11, 2018 03:38AM

I feel your pain for the 30 years, catnip! I'm glad you get to kick back and relax!

Date: June 11, 2018 12:54PM

You know something, catnip, my RM TBM niece is in a situation with her hubby like what you described with your ex.

She was perfectly happy being a SAHM, while writing children's and teen books. They recently bought a house that they've been renovating as their "forever" home.

When out of the blue next thing we're hearing is they need to sell their home and move away so she can take a job that pays more than her children's stories pay.

I have a bad feeling about it, but won't get involved. Her hubby seems overly controlling, which I don't like. Though it isn't any of my business, so will stay out of it. They put all these renovations into their new older home. It must be very disheartening to have to sell now. Such is a volatile economy I suppose. I knew she wasn't earning much as a children's author. But thought they'd already figured that into their budget. Something major shifted, in the past several months. Not even her close family saw it coming. Hope she is going to be alright. ((((sighs))))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 01:23PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 03:14AM

Congratulations! Enjoy Panama and your retirement, which I know you've definitely earned and richly deserve!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 04:51AM

Congratulations, Aquarius123!

I'm very jealous - I still have several years to go...

It's a good thing my job doesn't actually involve much work ;-)

Tom in Paris

Date: June 11, 2018 05:48AM

Thank you, Tom in Paris! Good wishes back at you!

Date: June 11, 2018 05:51AM

Exminion, thanks for the kind words! At least when you do retire your time won't belong to that awful church. They don't care about anybody but what they can use them for.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 05:03AM

Congratulations!

Teaching is a noble profession. Be proud of yourself for changing so many lives!

My TBM oldest brother was also a teacher, and he retired 4 years ago. His wife died about 6 years ago. He has a PhD, and he has the job of overseeing the cleaning of the church building--calling and pestering the "volunteers"--and when they don't show up, he often ends up doing most the cleaning, himself. He is also the ward clerk. He loves to travel, and take lovely photographs, but his church callings keep him home on the weekends. Today, he said to me, "I wish I could retire from church! Why doesn't the Mormon church ever let you retire from church, like you do from a job? And, why don't they stop pestering me to get married again? I just want to do what I want to do!"

My brother and my parents were strong enough to deal with the coercion of the Mormon estate-brabbers. My retired TBM cousins were conned into leaving large amounts of money to BYU. They are tied down with temple callings and (multiple) senior missions--away from their families. I feel sorry for them.

I'm glad you can do what you want to do! And Eric K, and Kentish, and most of us ex-Mormons, when our turn comes.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 09:57AM

Oh happy day! Enjoy yourself.

Date: June 11, 2018 03:08PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
> Oh happy day! Enjoy yourself.

Thank you, devoted exmo! I'm enjoying today relaxing at home with my one and only granddaughter.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:35AM

I didn't think I'd ever be able to retire and was hoping this job I have would last until whenever, but then I found out recently about my "ex's" pension. I knew he had one, but I didn't know how much, and he lives here and shares the bills. I could divorce him and be set for the rest of my life, but I'll just let him pay the bills (as he has offered) and I'll be able to live off my SS. So someday in the not so distant future. I'll be 61 in a few weeks.

Did we ever think we'd get this old? Age hasn't ever bothered me until 60 hit. I didn't expect to ever be close to retirement, let alone 60. I still find myself typing up patients who are my age and thinking, "They're so old."

Date: June 11, 2018 01:20PM

60 is the "new young" in my vernacular.

I keep pushing that hill forward the closer it approaches.

;-)

Date: June 11, 2018 03:11PM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
> I didn't think I'd ever be able to retire and was
> hoping this job I have would last until whenever,
> but then I found out recently about my "ex's"
> pension. I knew he had one, but I didn't know how
> much, and he lives here and shares the bills. I
> could divorce him and be set for the rest of my
> life, but I'll just let him pay the bills (as he
> has offered) and I'll be able to live off my SS.
> So someday in the not so distant future. I'll be
> 61 in a few weeks.
>
> Did we ever think we'd get this old? Age hasn't
> ever bothered me until 60 hit. I didn't expect to
> ever be close to retirement, let alone 60. I still
> find myself typing up patients who are my age and
> thinking, "They're so old."

Dear cl2, only 60?? You're a young chick!I think the socks I'm wearing are 60! <3

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 01:25PM

It's about time!
Life. Living. Love.

Date: June 11, 2018 03:13PM

readwrite-NLI Wrote:
> It's about time!
> Life. Living. Love.

Readwrite, I love your name! 2 important skills you got there! LLL

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 02:48PM

You, too?! Me, too! Except my first weekend of retirement was a 3-day weekend! Sweet! Congratulations!

Date: June 11, 2018 03:15PM

cludgie Wrote:
> You, too?! Me, too! Except my first weekend of
> retirement was a 3-day weekend! Sweet!
> Congratulations!

Cludgie, isn't this like winning the lottery! Did you retire Memorial day weekend?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 03:15PM

Welcome to the club. May you enjoy your time off as much I do mine.

Date: June 11, 2018 05:23PM

donbagley Wrote:
> Welcome to the club. May you enjoy your time off
> as much I do mine.

Donbagley, you are always a gentleman! THank you for the good wishes!

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 03:19PM

Enjoy your travels

Date: June 11, 2018 05:26PM

Paintingnotloggedin Wrote:
> Enjoy your travels

((Painting))) It will be fun for sure! I hope you have happy travels, also!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 05:28PM

Retirement: Every evening is Friday evening. Every morning is Saturday morning.

Date: June 11, 2018 07:13PM

My neighbors who are retired tell me they no longer call traveling going on vacation. Every day is vacation. When they travel it's just being away from home. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 07:13PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 06:08PM

I just had a long weekend (3 days off work) and a nice trip and loved waking up thinking it was Saturday and then being like, wait, it's Monday and I don't have to work! So I waiver between wanting to retire in 3 years and wanting to work another 10 or more. And yeah, there would be two days in my world, Saturday and Sunday. All the other days would have to fit into one of those.

The older I get, the more volunteer stuff I get involved in and wish I could do it all day. Especially an adult literacy program. But then, also the more vacation time I get, the more I'm like, heck might as well work and spend good money on vacations. It helps that I have a job I love and work with the best people ever. It's just that getting up in the morning thing.

So congrats and enjoy. Hope you find lots of things to do that will make a difference in the world we leave to our kids.

Date: June 13, 2018 08:01PM

Normarae, I love your positive and generosity based attitude! I have always loved and found some time for volunteer work. There is the occasional clean up the river project, helping teach classes to ladies in a transitional housing after coming from homelessness, and one day a month, helping at the county animal shelter. I love the people you meet with volunteer work. If we met in person we would be pals!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 10:16AM

"I love the people you meet doing volunteer work." Ditto on that, Aquarius! And it's a whole different atmosphere when you are working with people who are truly volunteers with a passion, giving of their time and helping people who are often so much more than grateful, than it is doing so-called mormon "volunteer" work that you are told to do for people who just expect it.

Date: June 11, 2018 07:24PM

Kentish and amyjo, I like the way you think! And, you are right! Lol

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:12PM

Congrats also! My hubby retired a few years ago and it’s nice to relax and stay home on the weekend , when everyone else is going out. We always hated the weekend crowds.Now, we go out during the week, when everyone else is working and stay home on the weekend.
We go out during church times , on Sunday sometimes.
Panama always reminds me of Van Halen and Noriega. I still remember that like yesterday. I think that song ( Panama ) and “Welcome to the jungle” were the most requested songs during that time period, trying to blast him out of his hidding place.
I remember all of those skulls our military found also, when they entered his compound.

Date: June 13, 2018 08:32PM

I like the going out when things are not crowded, too, hockeyrat! It's the best!

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 10:41PM

Congratulations from another retired teacher.

Yesterday I had a tire needing repair so went to the place I have stored my off season tires for many years. The owner of the place commented on how relaxed I seemed, and I said well, I have been retired a few years and live most of the time at my cottage.

Not going to work and not dealing with Toronto traffic every day makes one relaxed.

Date: June 14, 2018 03:41AM

Thanks, acerbic! I agree that not having to jump out of bed and get to the commute does calm one down. :^ )

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.