Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 12:51PM

I talked my wife into watching "Jane" Saturday. Just to let you know I really liked it. My wife did as well but was very disturbed with Jane having a child and leaving her child in England with her mother. I get it. Jane said she never wanted a husband or children and then went and had both.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jane/

I guess I'm biased. I'm one of ten children from a mother who never wanted children and a husband. I've got Mormonism to thank for my existence. I guess Grub (Jane's son) has mother nature to thank for his existence. That sexy Baron photographer was irresistible.

But what I really found intriguing was the following.

Chimpanzees weren't witnessed showing aggressive behaviors until the humans started feeding them.

Chimpanzees touch each other a lot.

Chimpanzees basically had all the males line up literally to have sex with one female in estruses.

I know we aren't chimps. I just wonder if our common ancestor had these behaviors? What would that mean for agrarian technologically advanced apes? Are we now isolated monogamous passively aggressive apes?

Just some thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 01:27PM

Yea Tarzan

Date: June 11, 2018 02:10PM

I just searched FamilyTree and found Jane's Ex. I'm thinking that they have done his work? He died in 2002.

"Hugo A R Van Lawick
mentioned in the record of Goodall and Hugo A R Van Lawick
Name
Hugo A R Van Lawick
Event Type
Marriage Registration
Registration Quarter
Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year
Registration District
Chelsea
County
London
Event Place
Chelsea, London, England
Spouse Name (available after 1911)
Goodall
Volume
5C
Page
Line Number
122 "

Does anyone know if this record being in FamilyTree means he was baptized?

If he was baptized he joins these ranks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-10-people-posthumously-baptized-by-mormons-2012-3#mohandas-gandhi-9

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 02:23PM

Elder Berry wrote:

> Chimpanzees weren't witnessed showing aggressive
> behaviors until the humans started feeding them.

The link between aggression and human feeding is still a matter of some debate. Please see this section of Jane Goodall's wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall#Criticism

Many standard methods aim to avoid interference by observers, and in particular some believe that the use of feeding stations to attract Gombe chimpanzees has altered normal foraging and feeding patterns and social relationships. This argument is the focus of a book published by Margaret Power in 1991.[48] It has been suggested that higher levels of aggression and conflict with other chimpanzee groups in the area were due to the feeding, which could have created the "wars" between chimpanzee social groups described by Goodall, aspects of which she did not witness in the years before artificial feeding began at Gombe. Thus, some regard Goodall's observations as distortions of normal chimpanzee behaviour.[49] Goodall herself acknowledged that feeding contributed to aggression within and between groups, but maintained that the effect was limited to alteration of the intensity and not the nature of chimpanzee conflict, and further suggested that feeding was necessary for the study to be effective at all. Craig Stanford of the Jane Goodall Research Institute at the University of Southern California states that researchers conducting studies with no artificial provisioning have a difficult time viewing any social behaviour of chimpanzees, especially those related to inter-group conflict.[50]

Some recent studies, such as those by Crickette Sanz in the Goualougo Triangle (Congo) and Christophe Boesch in the Taï National Park (Ivory Coast), have not shown the aggression observed in the Gombe studies.[51] However, other primatologists disagree that the studies are flawed; for example, Jim Moore provides a critique of Margaret Powers' assertions[52] and some studies of other chimpanzee groups have shown aggression similar to that in Gombe even in the absence of feeding.[53]

Date: June 11, 2018 03:39PM

I think it is interesting regardless of whether it is corollary or causal.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 04:10PM

There may not be a link at all, whether correlation or causation. Remember that experimentation is fraught with flaws.

Date: June 11, 2018 04:14PM

I can't forget that it is. It was a take away from the movie whether I believe it or not.

I'm biased to believe it. I have to remind myself we don't descend from chimps or that humans in less technical cultures than mine aren't representative of early humans.

It is fun to speculate and ponder.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 02:48PM

... which made me think of Maggot Robbie ... which, well, ... you know, made me think unclean and impure thoughts.

Then the image of Jane Goodall jumped into my head ... dang, I may not be heterosexual anymore!!!

Just Kidding ... but, really I'd much rather stare at Margot than a bunch of chimpanzees!!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 12:47PM

She delivered the commencement address when one of my kids graduated; part of it was in Chimpanzee.

It was awesome.

Posted by: S.H. ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 03:51PM

You might like the movie "Paul" or "the Village." Both have very obvious ways that they can relate to the Mormon church.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 05:46AM

Paul: It’s probing time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.