Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 11, 2018 11:43PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/06/11/commentary-most-mormons-still-believe-the-racist-priesthoodtemple-ban-was-gods-will-survey-shows/

One major surprise in the data was that Mormons of color were actually more likely to say they knew or believed the ban was God’s will than white Mormons were. Seventy percent of nonwhites affirmed this, compared to 61 percent of whites. That also remains true when we consider only African-American respondents in a group by themselves: 67 percent of African-Americans know or believe the priesthood/temple ban was God’s will, which is 6 percentage points higher than the rate for whites. (The margin of error is high, however, since there were only 50 African-American Mormon respondents in the study.)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/08/big-majority-of-mormons-oppose-women-in-priesthood-including-women/

Mormon women are somewhat more likely than men to oppose the idea of women in the priesthood. Fully nine-in-ten Mormon women (90%) say women should not be ordained, compared with 84% of Mormon men.

Why is that?
I think it is either the Sunk Cost Fallacy, ego defense mechanisms and/or plain old fashioned cogdis at work.
If minorities and women allow themselves to believe that they belong to a racist or a sexist institution, then they have to admit to their non-Mormon peers that they belong to a racist/sexist institution, which is absurd to their non-Mormon peers. So they get good at denying it, making excuses for it, or just plain ignoring it, because it is a bigger threat to their veracity than it is for those in power, white men, who have no reason to believe they'll have to give up that power any time soon.
Minorities and women stand to lose a lot more social credibility if they admit they're fine belonging to an institution that dehumanizes them and subjugates them to white men.
They're more in denial as an ego defense/survival mechanism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 11:50PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 12:01AM

I was confused about why we continued to worship in a religious tradition that had used religion as a tool to subjugate POC and women.

One of my grandmothers was in a black Episcopalian church, and it's like "Hey! You're a member of that church because of good ole racism that said you couldn't go to the white Episcopalian church. Hello! Hello! Racism! Why buy into it?" <-- of course I never said it, but I thought it as loudly as I could.

Dude. I dunno. I don't understand it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:04AM by Beth.

Posted by: ExAmmon ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 09:08PM

Thank you for sharing this interesting information. It makes a lot of sense sunken cost fallacy and the sunken place. Sigh.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 01:49PM

"...since there were only 50 African-American Mormon respondents in the study..."

In other words, they asked *all* of the African-American Mormons...

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 03:23PM

3% of MORmONs are black, compared to 11% of the general population, meaning, the MORmON Crutch has 73% less blacks than the general population, not surprisingly, given it's a racist Doomsday CULT, that still maintains the largest army of full
time brainwashers to go distribute the most racist scriptures on the planet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.