Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 03:19PM

I read this.

"LAKEVIEW, Mich. — A Michigan couple have 14 boys.
And no regrets — regardless of what online opinion-givers have to say about it.
"There are some really mean people in the world. And it doesn't matter," said Jay Schwandt, the father of the boy brood. "We happen to be this great big family with 14 boys that has so much fun every second that we're together. And we still get horrible comments."
Some comments focus on whether Schwandt and his wife, Kateri, 43, are capable of giving each child enough attention, a criticism their fourth son, Brandon, dismisses.
"It's just what we grew up with. I don't know how to explain it. It's just life. It's our life," said Brandon Schwandt, a 19-year-old hockey standout who recently signed to play with a junior team in Florida." "
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/14-boys-no-regrets-michigan-family-happy-the-way-they-are/ar-AAywB5m?ocid=spartandhp

And coming from 10 where my parents adopted two more and DFS took them I'm a bit jaded about the big family thing. Add to that my sister is a polygamist and I've seen several of her kid's brothers and sisters interacting with their parents and each other. And they have more than 2 adult for that mammoth brood of polygamist kids.

I agree with the critics. Father Schwandt had 7 sons, had 7 sons had Father Schwandt and they didn't laugh and they didn't cry...and Mother Schwandt had 7 sons, had 7 sons had Mother Schwandt and they didn't laugh and they didn't cry...

I don't think even the most loving parent on the planet and my polygamist sister is sooooper loving could divide their loving attention between so many. To think it is possible is laughable in my opinion. They do what most big families advertising their big family goodness juju do (mine did) and they aggregate themselves into being "cheaper by the dozen."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 03:19PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:36PM

My mother didn't have the energy for 6, but she tried. I'll give her that!

My daughter almost married #16 of 16. He was divorced and had 3 children. I actually still worry about him. He was SO OBVIOUSLY neglected and so was #15. I got to know both he and #15 really well and they have been taught to beg. I tried to stay friends with him and his sister and they just wanted money or for me to pay for things for them. His sister was the worst. I never hear from her now unless her kids are having some kind of money raising thing going on. She's on #7 child and her brother, who my daughter didn't marry, is on #2 with his new wife. She has 1 child, he has 3, and they now will have 2 and want 1 more.

I did visit the home they family grew up in. I was SHOCKED, but not shocked. I was expecting something like I saw.

Those parents did a grave disservice to those kids. My 2 kids were a lot better off with me as a single mother than those 16 kids.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 07:05PM

Anyone who claims to have fun every minute with or without 14 kids is lying through his teeth. As a teacher, I usually felt so sorry for children who are impoverished and or attention starved being in large families.imo it's a great disservice to those poor children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 07:05PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 11:01AM

Amen.

Watching my brother-in-law polygamist with his kids queued up to talk (basically he talked at them) to him was wild.

If I had 14 sons for whom to be a male role model I would have less time for them then a coach has for a team of kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.