Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 03:38PM

--Got this email today from an unhappy camper:

"You are a moron. To explain why would be to assume that you are intelligent enough to understand, which would be giving you too much credit. You and fellow idiots like Robert DeNiro have abandoned reason for the abyss of infantile narcissistic emotional turmoil. You have become the joke and you don't even realize it. [Your newspaper] could do a lot better but history shows that you can spew your hatred in the guise of humor with no consequence."

--My reply:

"You sound like [the public leader you are defending]. Very simple sentences: 'You are a moron.' Noun, verb, direct object.

"My turn: [He[ is incompetent.

"Thanks for writing."

--The reader's response:

"Obviously, not simple enough for you. Your grammar lesson doesn't get past the first sentence. It's also wrong. The verb "to be" doesn't take a direct object. "Moron" is a predicate nominative. I learned this in fifth grade, in 1946.You say I sound like Trump which only proves that you haven't listened to Trump. Besides, I speak the truth, understandably elusive for you and your acolytes."

--My reply:

"I keep my cartoons both simple and direct enough for my critics to get angry at them easily.

"'Now, if I may, a follow-up grammar lesson:

“'you' represents a pronoun that acceptably replaces the proper noun “Trump.”

“'are' describes a state of being (not a state of action). Since no sentence crafted in English can exist without a verb, “are” serves as what is known as an 'auxiliary verb.'

"'moron' is the direct-object noun in this current example. A predicate nominative does not apply in this case because a direct object does not qualify as the subject as a predicate nominative. Neither does it require a linking verb that a sentence containing a predicate nominative does.

"There were grammar books in 1946 but it seems unlikely that Trump availed himself of one from that general time period, given that he so often butchers his native tongue. Nonetheless, you remain his acolyte. To each their own.

"Welcome to the rumble. Thanks for writing and have a good day."

_____

Another rumble in the intellectual jungle. :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 06:24PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 03:58PM

Fluffing the feathers of the fowls. lol. Gotta love it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.