Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 04:39PM

Recently we moved from a snotty, monied stake to, well, a delightfully weird ward.

It strikes me as thorough NOM, and has a delightful vein of quirkiness that reminds me of how the church might’ve been pre-correlation (long before my time).

If you could go back to a more liberal, c’est la vie, laidback version of Mormonism would you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 04:50PM

No. The doctrine and claims are still nonsense.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:18PM

No. It's still Fool's Gold no matter how they spin it.

Fake. Fake. And more fake.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:28PM

Back when I was transitioning out I may have said yes IF I could have been an open doubter and no or cared but now that I've been for years, I've moved on and have absolutely no desire to go to church or be involved in Mormonism. Maybe stop in once in a while if there was some activity like a BBQ but nowadays I just have nothing in common with Mormons.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:29PM

No. Nothing of value there for me. I've never really heard anything useful. I learned some useful skills in Relief Society, back in the day, but not much with the lessons.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:32PM

Nope. Too late for that. I now know too much about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, the Book of Abraham, DNA and the Book of Mormon. I came into the church under SWK and all his talk about the "Lamanites" blossoming as the rose because of the help of the church. Now the Native Americans aren't even Lamanites. Why go to a church of false prophets?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:45PM

Why?

No reason to go back

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 05:51PM

Ohdeargoodness nli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recently we moved from a snotty, monied stake to,
> well, a delightfully weird ward.

"(NOT) Weird" in a super weird Gordon BS HinckLIEy kind of way ...or some other way ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphnhNopWUo

Oh Wait, IF its MORmON then its jacked up weird in some way!!! and I can do with OUT MORmONISM and /or weird in my life !!! since I got a 1000 life times supply of weird from being raised in the MORmON cult.

>
> It strikes me as thorough NOM, and has a
> delightful vein of quirkiness that reminds me of
> how the church might’ve been pre-correlation
> (long before my time).

Sorry Dude, but pre correlation MORmONISM does NOT necessarily correlate to more liberal MORmONISM, especially since MORmONISM does NOT necessarily correlate to Liberalism or anything else (except MORmON idiocy) in coherent fashion.

The fact that you feel that, and that you still want to associate with MORmONISM in any way ONLY spells out conflict and in coherency to most people who have moved beyond the stifling restriction of MORmONISM.

> If you could go back to a more liberal, c’est la
> vie, laidback version of Mormonism would you?

....If you could have a more mellow dog feces flavored beverage would you go back to dog feces flavored beverages ????

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 09:08PM

"....If you could have a more mellow dog feces flavored beverage would you go back to dog feces flavored beverages ????"

Mad props, smirkorama

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:02PM

It was considered fun and kindly when I was a kid, but it always had a mean nasty underbelly. I'd never go back.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:12PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was considered fun and kindly when I was a kid,
> but it always had a mean nasty underbelly. I'd
> never go back.

Yes it got more rotten the older you got and the more you learned. It messes with me big time that my parents were doing death oaths when i was a kid and i had no clue. It does explain their weird behavior though.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:08PM

Nope. It still claims to be a church....I don't do church.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 08:31PM

Amen

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:12PM

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:16PM

There are Liberal Mormon churches out there...I even looked at a couple once my shelf broke. But they still have the BoM which is a racist book, and it's still an off-shoot of a religion created by a con-man.
That, and I'm agnostic. It's just a part of who I am, and it works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 06:16PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 06:19PM

I was in a nice laid back ward like that once. Having home teachers was an option. If you wanted to be home taught some were assigned to you. If not, no. The Bishop was "inspired" to cut out the last two hours of church on Super Bowl Sunday. At a ward Halloween party kids wore masks and the Elder's Quorum Pres. wife came dressed as a pregnant nun. It was a fun, close-knit, nothing too serious type of ward.

Would I go back to a similar type of ward...NO!! But being in that type of ward made being a member of the church a little more tolerable.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 07:18PM

Don't be fooled. It's still fake and a cult. Doesn't mean anything that some of the members of that ward appear to be cool. It's still like ketchup on a s%%% sandwich.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 07:52PM

Exactly. You can hold your nose and eat it, but it will still make you sick. Having friends isn’t worth living a lie.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 09:19PM

Its complete bullshit top to bottom. Cover it in any sugar you like. It not worth biting into.

HH =)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:48PM

Absolutely not!

They still push tithing, temples and exact obedience to their con men "profits". Women continue as 2nd class participants. Gays are not welcomed and their baptismal policy-doctrine-revelation proves that. They won't budge on their child interviews. They expect the poorest members to tithe for their personal coffers.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 11:03PM

Everyone has their price. If they send me a written offer to make me their prophet, seer, revelator, and president of the corporation of the president, I'll go back..... just long enough to dismantle the organization and donate all of the assets to real charities.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 04:38AM

You can't _unknow_ the fact that it's a fake religion.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 01:19PM

At this point, they could completely change their stripes and be more like the Community of Christ and that still wouldn't be enough for me to return.

I have been out so long now that my social capital and time is otherwise invested. There are plenty of fine things out there that I don't participate in, because I can't be everywhere. There's an opportunity cost to consider, I'd have to give up something else (a lot of something elses given the level of effort I put into LDS stuff before).

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 03:36AM

That's adorable, Snowflake!

You remind me of the Audrey Hepburn character in Charade, when the Cary Grant character approaches her. She says something like, "Do you think were about to be (friends)? I already have enough friends, and until one of them dies, I don't have room for anyone new.

My life is too full, now. I would NEVER make time for a cult.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 01:34PM

I've grown beyond their boxes. Even if those Jacks-in-Their-Boxes are really nice and a great community of support.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 02:15PM

No, for most of the reasons stated above. But in general, I simply have no need whatsoever in my life for religion.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:37PM

Why would I want to identify myself with the most racist/misogynist/homophobic institution on the planet?
And sing praises to a cuckold bull/pedoohile/con man?
Fuck that.
I dont care how "laid back" the Ward seems, theyre still singing Praise To The Rapist.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:53PM

LetMeThinkAboutItAndGetBackToYou-No.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 10:21PM

No.Never.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 12:51PM

Right now I live in an area with a lot of upper middle class to very wealthy Mormons (homes in the millions). They are so full of themselves and constantly competing with each other. These people are not the type of Mormons I grew up with. It's so foreign to me.

I grew up in So-Cal in a very laid back ward. These were working class people, salt of the earth. Some of the nicest people I've ever known. And, church was fun for me back then. We didn't attend in a McChapel. It was a little white church building with stained glass windows that they were leasing at the time...not too far from the beach. I can still smell the Eucalyptus trees that were out front. It wasn't very mormonish...save for a bunch of pictures of all the old prophets in the hallways. These were also pre-correlation days. I remember super fun Halloween carnivals (complete with a spook-alley in the upstairs classrooms w/fog machines and some scary shit!), Christmas plays (that were completely non-religious!), beach trips with bonfires, even a fun sleepover at the church building when I was a young girl.

Despite the fun stuff, I had NO IDEA my parents were off on date nights doing the throat slitting death oaths in the LA temple. Then around 1990/1991ish they built a McChapel (it had 2 chapels) and ditched that little white church and it was all different from then on. I can still smell the burlap walls that are in all the buildings now. Yuck.

Even if I could recreate that ward I grew up in, I still would NOT go back....I think everyone in this thread have covered all the reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 12:54PM by bluebutterfly.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 12:59PM

Your post brought me back to my bay area ward. What a nice group of people. I really felt like I belonged.

Moving to an awful, mean ward sent me on my journey out so I'm grateful for that.

My old ward? They split it up, bulldozed the building, and put up expensive condos.

It took stiff smacks upside the head for me to wake up.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 07:55PM

I started off as a convert in a wonderful ward with some really great people. After I moved, nothing was ever the same again. Most Mormons I met appeared to have personality problems and/or were just plain toxic.

I am in the Northeast, far from Mormonville. But once when I visited Salt Lake City and Provo, People seemed to be quite snarly. Especially in Provo. I didn't look like a typical Mormon, and they easily spotted me as an outsider.

The great people in my first ward? They would have been great in any church. Mormonism did nothing to make them that way, though they claimed that it did.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 01:06PM

My death. Wait! They have that solution! Yippee!

OK...bit of sarcasm there mixed with their truth.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 06:43PM

Since I am still mormon, I never 'left' the church! I just worked out an arrangement where they don't bother me at all and I don't darken their door step. Yeah, I get BYU alumni emails, but they seem to be cool with me just ignoring them.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 01:52AM

And pay ten percent of my income to The Real Estate Development Corporation of Latter-day Snakes? Not on your life!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 05:56PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 18, 2018 10:51AM

Nothing could induce me to go back.

Mormonism is entirely fake. Founded on ignorance, superstition, and lies. Perpetuated by lies and deceit. Operated daily on lies and demands for obedience to made-up rules, without a shred of intelligent thought, compassion, or common sense.

No amount of "good" (and there isn't much at all, and what little there is can be found outside of mormonism as well) in the church can overcome all of that.

It's a lie. Why in the world would anyone want to be part of a lie?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.