Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 09:30PM

According to a psychological study at University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill.

"“Together, these results help paint a picture of an American God who may not resemble scriptural or historical depictions,” the researchers wrote. “The face of the modern American God appeared kinder and more approachable than the God of the Sistine Chapel, perhaps reflecting different cultural concerns of the 16th century versus today.”

It’s still, however, a white face.

“People tend to believe in a God that looks like them,” Professor Kurt Gray, the study’s senior author, told NBC News. “And most of the people who took part were male and white."

What surprised the researchers, however, was that most of the women thought the Almighty was male, and “even many black Americans saw God as white … and with twinkling eyes, “ said Gray.

“I think it’s because for millennia Christians have been led to think of God as male and white,” Gray said. “It’s changing a little now, but the church hierarchies are still mostly male and mostly white. In the Catholic Church, for example, the Pope is male and the priests are still only male.”

The participants were demographically diverse — 153 from the South, 143 from the Midwest, 124 from the Northeast, and 91 from the West, according to the study.

Politics also played a role in people’s perceptions of God, the researchers found.

Conservatives were more likely to see God as white and powerful. Liberals saw God as younger and loving."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/face-god-eye-beholder-researchers-say-n882491

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:07PM

Date: June 12, 2018 10:18PM

A picture's worth ten thousand words. Zeus could come right out of Xanadu. This one's Jesus with Colonel Sanders having coffee. (Not chicken?!)

https://imgur.com/gallery/gjxPcT2

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:22PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:53AM

Gods are created in the image of the culture that believes in them.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:06AM

Posted by: jthomas ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:48AM

Wasn't he Jewish and a man? Thats pretty self explanatory. What color are most of those in Israel?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 10:04AM

Santa is also white. Just ask fox news.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 11:48AM

It has been too long since I've seen the Mormon temple movie so I don't remember what God looks like. Was it George Burns? Morgan Freeman? Gordon Jump? Dan Peterson?

Date: June 13, 2018 12:08PM

No one has ever looked upon the face of God. The only one to my knowledge who even dared to make such a claim was Joseph Smith.

It's all conjecture, since other than it says in Genesis that people were created in the image of gods, we really don't have a whole lot to go on.

As for Jesus, yes he was a Jewish guy. Not goyim. He was most assuredly not white or delightsome. But rough shod and downtrodden, by NT accounts.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 01:07PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No one has ever looked upon the face of God.

Yeah, it's almost like he doesn't exist or something, huh?

:)

Date: June 13, 2018 02:03PM

Not if you believe in him.

I've had prayers answered. And it wasn't woo woo magic.

For me faith is believing without seeing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.