Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 09:56PM

What would you choose and why?

Corgi butts! Goofy St. Bernards! I have a lab/pitt mix (2 y.o. altered female, hi energy, big heart), two cats (4 y.o. altered sister/brother).

The local shelter empties daily, so it's not an option unless I camp out overnight.

The only downside I see to the St. Bernard is that I might need a bigger bed, and I think they slobber. But Joy licks her butt, so meh slobber, although teeth brushing might be slimy gross.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:00PM

I would pick the corgi because of his small body. He would be easier to walk and to bathe. I love all dogs. I think dogs should rule the world!

Date: June 12, 2018 10:03PM

I thought they were going to kick me out of the state if I didn't have a dog.

Corgis are adorable (God save the Queen!), but when I was little, I played with a St. Bernard and it stuck with me. Massive furry. I never see them. Where are all of the St. Bernards? In the mountains drinking whiskey?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 10:03PM by Beth.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:30PM

And the Corgi will live longer and be much cheaper to care for.

Date: June 12, 2018 10:41PM

tends to be short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 10:42PM by Beth.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:08PM

Corgi, I’d have to move out if I got a St Bernard

Date: June 12, 2018 10:13PM

Oh wait. I wonder if I can get a mini-horse like on Rob and Big...

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:14PM

If I had room it would be the big hairy mini horse. Love big dogs. Just have a tiny house.

Date: June 12, 2018 10:21PM

Or how massive their farts.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:43PM

How's the climate? St. Bernards really struggle in hot/humid areas. I feel sorry for them.

Date: June 12, 2018 10:50PM

It gets dry in the summer where I am. We have a large kiddie pool I set under a cedar tree for Joy.

The relative humidity is low, and the summer ave temp is about 75-80º in the day and about 50-60º at night.

The house is a muddy mess during the rainy season. I don't have air conditioning, but there is a bunch of trees around the house, so I'm usually kind of chilly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 10:51PM by Beth.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:50PM

dont be that crazy chick with too many pets OPie ~

anyway ~ ~ ~

in b 4 ~ St. Bernard ~

brb ~ you trapped on that there Utah ice mountain sh~t-burg ~

brb ~ you bout to die because no booze in Utah for your exmo ass ~

brb ~ you personal St. Bernard walks up ~

brb ~ tail = wagging ~

brb ~ you personal St. Bernard got that aesthetic cute mini-barrel of exmo elixir chained under her neck ~

in b 4 ~ Corgi can't do that ~

in b 4 ~ St. Bernard wins ~

Date: June 12, 2018 10:51PM

Date: June 12, 2018 10:53PM

Cat ladies have a bad rap, zill.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 11:04PM

Smart, easy to train. Plus, you can get hellacute clothes for them ;)

Besides Beffie, THINK ABOUT THE POOP SIZE!

Date: June 12, 2018 11:06PM

But will a corgi carry whiskey?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 11:06PM by Beth.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 11:09PM

You can train a Corgi to do anything. But, please, don't make it wear clothes. Let him have some dignity.

Date: June 12, 2018 11:19PM

(I tried to put a party hat on one of my cats. Didn't end well.)

Date: June 13, 2018 07:47AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (I tried to put a party hat on one of my cats.
> Didn't end well.)

FOFLMAO!!!! I can picture it in my mind's eye! You gave me my first laugh for the day!!

Date: June 13, 2018 02:18AM

some dogs do like to wear clothes :P My Coton LOVES to wear clothes. She will get in a mood and bark at her clothes until you dress her.
My Papillion doesn't care one way or the other as long as you don't put her back legs in her jamjams. Right now, I am thinking about getting or making them kilts for the Highland Games next year. I even found several of my family tartans in cotton on Spoonflower :)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/278591100/corgi-kilt?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dog%20kilt&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&more_colors=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/60734063/royal-stewart-red-dog-kilt-and-hat-xxsxs?ref=shop_home_active_23

https://www.etsy.com/listing/515777293/kilt-with-bagpipes?ref=shop_home_active_49

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 11:28PM

We have 2 Anatolian Shepherds...taller and leaner than a Barnyard, but they tend to be much more serious in nature. They don't drool (except oddly enough our younger one who slobbers like Mama Alien in Aliens for yogurt.) They also average 10-12 years which is much better than most giant breeds.

All that said, I want a Newfoundland someday.

Date: June 12, 2018 11:44PM

Newfies (the dogs, Canadians - don't hate on me), are lovely. I also like Swiss Mountain dogs. Gorgeous.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 01:56AM

Talk to a breeder for each about the breed's temperament, good points, challenges, etc.

A friend of mine breeds corgis. She and her fellow breeders have prospective owners fill out applications in order to ensure a good fit between owner and dog. Even then, there are simply not enough purebred dogs for interested prospective owners. I get the feeling from various things she has said over the years that a corgi is not for everyone.

If you are looking at larger dogs, possibly consider a Great Pyrenees. The AKC calls them "smart, patient, and calm." You could easily get one from a rescue group.

Dog shows are good places to talk with breeders and owners, and to observe temperament. There are general shows and also specialty shows for each breed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 02:12AM by summer.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 03:00AM

Tough choice between the two breeds. Corgis have lots of personality, but I would go with a St. Bernard. I'm partial to big dogs. And they carry brandy kegs should one need that in snow-bound passes.

(Bias disclosure: Void K Pecker has Irish wolfhounds.)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 06:26AM

We had a pair of St Bernards when I was a kid growing up on a farm. Rastus and Lucia. Rastus was a big bad boy. Lucia was a big sweetheart.

They are harder to walk because of their strength. They tend to walk you as I recall. Really good watch dogs. Not so much city dogs unless you have the room to exercise them and let them move around.

Corgis are cute dogs. Both are working dogs. Since Corgis are smaller and easier to get around in city living, I'd probably look closer at them.

I can't be around dogs or cats as much anymore these days due to asthma triggers. My pet days are dwindling down as my last and only hypoallergenic pet is in his waning years. Not planning on getting another when he's gone.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:48AM

Both!

(That's assuming you are willing to give up having any kind of life other than being their human.)

I love dogs. I wish they all could have kind homes.

Posted by: not logged in KJ ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 10:09AM

in Texas..
AC on all the time for St. B.

He's a sweetie & a thinks he's a lap dog.
He also slobbers on everything & everyone.

Neither dog likes cats.....they chase them out of their yard.

There is lots of poop....

But I love both.

I visit often.

KJ

Date: June 13, 2018 10:19AM

You could get the st bernard, then, for his birthday, get him a corgi. There ya go! Problem solved!

Date: June 13, 2018 10:26AM

Bernese mountain dogs are beauties like the St Bernards. They're like big, floppy teddy bears.

:)

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 11:07AM

Neither. Corgis are too short and St. Bernards are too large.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 11:31AM

Here's a St. Bernard story for you. When I was a teen, we had friends the next street over who had a male and a female St. Bernard. The female was in heat so they kept her inside, keeping the male outside in their fenced yard.

The meter reader came one day, and it so happened that the meter was under the house, just inside the crawl space. He was kneeling on the ground, half-in, half-out of the little door. Well, that horny male dog saw an opportunity and took it. Humped that meter man. He was furious!

On that note, I think a St. Bernard would get too hot and be uncomfortable in the summers where you live. Corgi's are pretty cute little things. They seem to like to chase balls a lot.

TG

Date: June 13, 2018 05:43PM

I hope all is well with you and yours!

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 06:19PM

Howdy, Susan! Things are great. I hope you're doing well, also.

TG

Date: June 13, 2018 12:35PM

I'd love to have an Old English Bulldog. My mom had one once, when I was in high school. She was a slow plodder, but pretty much owned the place.

When I retire hope to move to a warmer climate. Bull dog breeds don't do well in extreme climates, either cold or hot because of their pug noses. Same for Himilayan and Persian cats. It's hard on their respiratorty systems.

Date: June 13, 2018 12:39PM

They're also known to have hip and joint problems.

Anytime you get a purebred, be careful on selecting a responsible breeder.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 12:40PM

Corgi
Less destructive to your home and significantly less drool.

Posted by: insomniac ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 01:05PM

I once lived next door to people who had corgis. Those dogs had the most annoying ear piercing bark I'd ever heard. I called the cops on them a couple of times because the barking woke me up at 2 AM almost every day. They are very cute dogs but their bark is irritating as hell for me. Maybe you should spend some time around both dogs before making a decision.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 04:09PM

Golden Retrievers are the only dog to have.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 05:40PM

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 06:08PM

How much room do you have for the dogs to play in run in?

Anatolian/Golden Lab mix as well as three other dogs. Yellow lab , Golden Retriever and Blue Heeler.

We live on a farm so they can run to their hearts content. Their numbers protect from coyotes and keep raccoons, skunks and the like away. The pack and big size keeps the JW's, sales types and such from stopping. Biggest benefit is it keeps the "midnight riders" from stopping to see what they can steal.

The dogs come into the fields with me. Take turns riding in the truck for trips to town, etc. Works well.

Do you have the space and do you have the time for them?

Posted by: ILikeBigDogs ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 06:20PM

https://www.greatdane.photography/Prints

The site above is devoted to BIG DOGS and little kids.
I love the work. Very well done. I have no interest in it, it is not mine - just love the images. The book he did is excellent and gets more commentary when people pick it up than any other we have ever had.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 06:29PM

I would never have a purebred dog of any kind, unless it was a rescue. I don't believe in breeding dogs (or cats) when so many thousands are killed every day in shelters.

That said, I love big furry dogs and teeny sweet dogs and in between dogs. But I could never own a large dog of any kind, because I am not strong enough to pick it up, so I would always have to choose the Corgi over the St. Bernard, if for no other reason than that I would need all kinds of help to get a St. Bernard (or any large breed) to a vet. I could manage to carry a Corgi.

And in lieu of my favorite dogs, I have 4 cats. I once heard a U.S. senator saying that trying to get the entire Senate to agree on something was like "..trying to get cats to walk in a parade." I'm still laughing about that, because it is so, so true--about the cats, that is. I can't say for sure about the Senate, but probably. :)

Date: June 13, 2018 07:55PM

General note: it takes me a while to make decisions, like about a year. I'm going to put a lot of thought into getting another dog, what type, and so on.

1. summer: DOG SHOW! What's the dress code? I'd like to wear a funky hat and sensible shoes. Seriously, I've never been to one, and it sounds fun and is a good idea.

2. VoidKPecker: I love Irish Wolfhounds <3 I can't do the hound thing, sadly. One boundary of my property is a river with a steep 15-foot bank. That didn't stop my friend's Walker Hound from zooming down the bank and following his nose to some campers and their hotdogs.

3. AmyJo: So sorry about the asthma. :-( I have it, too, and it's triggered by allergies. The cottonwood trees are horrible. I think my yard (a bit shy of an acre might be big enough - JoeSmith666 will let me know). Bernese mountain dogs - will they carry my drank?

4. dagny: <3 Yes. Both!

5. Hiya, KJ! My dog leaves our cats alone (it probably helps that they're inside cats and can't be chased up a tree), but she loses her mind when the neighborhood cats come by at night.

6. Aquarius123: I like the way you think! How's your first week of retirement going?

7. olderelder: Heh :-)

8. Tahoe Girl!!! <3 Haha, yeah... Ha! Too hot. Okay. I'll do some research about the weather. We get about a week of ungodly hot weather (high 80s, I think we hit the mid 90s last year), but I have a bunch of old growth trees, so the yard is mostly shade, and the house is cool.

9. TALL MAN WITH THA SHORT HAIR! Yah. I am big on brushing my dog's teeth, and I don't know if I can deal with massive drool down my arm.

10. Insomnia: Right?! Yeah, my neighbor's dog barks all night. Makes me crazy and very unhappy. One of my dog's commands is, "Shhhh, no bark." She's pretty good about not barking except for at the guy down the road in the motorized wheelchair. (ugh) She's getting better (we moved here in October), and he's very nice, but es no bueno.

11. Gheco: They are amazing animals.

12. cl2: Yeah - that' probably the last time I saw one. It's like someone stole all of the St. Bernards.

13. JoeSmith666: I have ~0.75 acres bordered by a river. Wooded area in general. I don't know if that's enough space for a big dog. Joy is 90 lbs. I work from home most days. When Joy was a puppy, I took her to doggie daycare when I went to work. Um...yeah, I have the time, energy and temperament, but if you think I don't have enough land, I'll heed your advice. Joy is a ball nut, so we're out there playing before work, at lunch, after work, and she's zooming about outside most of the time. Before we moved here, we lived in an apartment, and we went to a HUGE dog park every morning. I take her pretty much everywhere with me. Somewhat related, do you have ducks? I'm thinking about having ducks next spring. (I'm doing research now.) Do you have fowl, and how do the dogs get along with them?

14. ILikeBigDogs! (I cannot lie!) - that's a great site. Thank you!

15. boilerluv: Ha! yeah, my kid told me that having me as a mom is like herding cats. :-)

K - more work, because dog food ain't cheap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 07:59PM by Beth.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 09:00PM

Why not a German Shepherd? They are very smart, easy to train and love pleasing you. They usually learn a command after a couple of tries, vs other dogs who are stubborn and take over a week learning the same command. They also take training as fun and a game to them.

Date: June 13, 2018 09:06PM

Date: June 13, 2018 09:16PM

Really? Did you have a bad experience with one in the past? I know in the past, people had them and mistreated them to make them mean. After that it was the Dobies, then Rottweilers ( I personally don’t like them ),now it’s the pit bull type of dog, which is an umbrella term for a few breeds.
You can buy a trained Shepherd, go to obedience and socialization classes. If you don’t spend time training them, they will take advantage of you, if bought from a bad breeder.

Date: June 13, 2018 09:38PM

I'm with Beth on the German Shepherds.

When I was a child there was one in our country neighborhood who chased me when I rode by on my bicycle from violin class one summer. Thank goodness he didn't drag me from the bike, but scared the bejeepers out of me. Then there was the German Shepherd who joined with several other dogs near our farm, who went roving and killed two flocks of our geese at two different times. And some of our sheep.

As a young teenager visiting an aunt one summer in Ogden, Utah a narcotics detective lived across the street from my aunt. One day my cousin took me over there, and he had a police dog German Shepherd. Not sure what we were doing but next thing I knew the policeman was calling his dog off of me after he had me pinned by the ankle. I was terrified. The dog sensed my fear.

As a young adult I watched a German Shepherd rip a toy poodle in half. I stood by helpless, because if I'd have jumped in to call it off, that dog would have attacked me too.

Dobies, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds have just never been on my radar for pets. A lot of it does have to do with their breeding and temperament. And socialization. Some are gentle giants. It's the ones who aren't who give the breeds a bad rap.

Date: June 13, 2018 10:45PM

Date: June 13, 2018 11:23PM

Sometimes fears are just irrational. My dad wasn't afraid of most things. But if a tiny mouse was in the same room as him, he went ballistic. He was a hunter, fisherman, rode the rodeo as a young man, was a military policeman in WWII. But a little mouse? Fuhgetaboutit.

Date: June 13, 2018 11:14PM

We had German Shepherds growing up. They all were trained and cane from good breeders. They were very gentle with young kids pulling on their tails or sucking on their big puppy ears.
I used to show off when I gave one a walk, by having him “ stay” while I walked passed a few houses, then calling him over.
The breeder had people ride skate boards, roller skates, jogging, making loud noises , etc.
One,would let me put her on the swing set and push her on it, keeping her balance.
She did scare me one time when the meter man came over to read the meter and she jumped off the swing, running up to the fence barking, growling, showing her teeth.
Poor guy looked scared; I was too, I never , ever seen her do that before.
I finally got her in the garage, and I could hear her barking and throwing her body against the door
After he left, I waited until he was out of site , then I opened the door and she goes running out really fast, smelling the ground around the meter.
That was the only time I’d seen her do that.
Like you said, they smell fear and take it as a threat.
I never was afraid of dogs, guess I was lucky , and stupid when I’d walked pass a house and the fog was barking at me and instead of being afraid, I just “ baby talked” to them, and they were keep barking, but when I got closer, they’d just walk backwards,
still barking, then eventually just stopped, letting me pet it or just running on their porch
I love animals, I even hand feed the squirrels in our yard.
They knew my car from my husband’s , when I pull in the driveway

Date: June 13, 2018 11:17PM

Date: June 14, 2018 12:54PM

If you get one when it’s a puppy, you’ll be his mama and your family will be his people / pack. When he gets older, he’ll be protecting you, not random attacking , but instinct.
Malinois are nice too, but harder to get and have too much energy for some people. A good breeder would not have dogs like that.
I’m not talking about someone that has dogs and has puppies, but a certified breeder, who goes out their way to make sure all the bad traits are bred out. It might be pricy though. If it’s too cheap, (you don’t know what other bloodline or breed is mixed in.), I wouldn’t go there
You want abreeder who’s fussy where their pups go too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.