Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 03:56PM

Did your exit from Mormonism leave you with a stronger faith in God? Whatever God is.

When my shelf broke, it was rough. It took me a good 5 years to get through it. But I’m okay now. Maybe not okay with the evil of TSCC, but okay to let bygones be bygones. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. That really means something now. Kudos to the Jews for hanging onto the Psalms.

My faith has grown since I let God out of his little tiny box. God is not outside but inside, in everything and everyone. Inside me, in the eternal now. Seeing Mormonism function in spite of being completely made up helped me understand this. If the divine can be accessed by making shit up, you could make up anything and have it work. No wonder there are so many religions. They all just work. It’s all mind juju because God is mind stuff that connects us all outside of time. Not some cosmic asshole.

The lesson of not trusting one’s life to lying sycophants has been a valuable one. There are plenty of those both inside and outside the church. I learned to look for my own answers. I believe in “seek and ye shall find”. The truth is out there, or maybe in here. Maybe in the heart is where the truth lives. It’s not as if there are no gold nuggets at the bottom of Mormonism’s crock of shit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:00PM

I seem to be the only one with the idea that there is no God, but rather an advanced society that engineered Earth and the universe we see around us. God is just an idea planted in human society that forces us to behave a certain way. If this so called God is real, he should show himself. Maybe then some people would believe it.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:22PM

he already did that ~

in b 4 ~ exodus 19 ~

and still there are unbeleebers ~

in b 4 ~ Luke 16:31 ~

Date: June 13, 2018 07:25PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he already did that ~
>
>
> in b 4 ~ exodus 19 ~
>
>
> and still there are unbeleebers ~
>
>
> in b 4 ~ Luke 16:31 ~

No one asked for preaching about stuff that may or may not have happened. Plus, I though your kind of talk was against forum rules?

Date: June 14, 2018 02:44AM

Goddess showed herself on the dance pole. Did the snake tempt Eve, or was it the other way around?

Date: June 14, 2018 03:01AM

I don’t think there’s any particular belief system that fits everyone. If an idea resonates with you, go with it. It doesn’t have to be “right”. Parts of Mormonism worked, and they were dead wrong. If we don’t have a philosophical framework for understanding God, all we have is intuition and intention.

I think there’s already a theoretical framework for the existence of God. Although it’s in poor taste to insert God into science, the existence of eternal consciousness solves a conflict between the quantum and relativistic worlds, having to do with the Wheeler DeWitt equation. It all works if we have one foot in time and the other in a timeless eternity. That doesn’t say much about God, only that there is an observer outside of time. For all we know the observer could be us. A kind of holographic God perhaps.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 01:20AM

Any ideas on who created the advanced society of engineers?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 02:25AM

Ridley Scott

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:09PM

Sometimes i believe and sometimes i don't. My mind is conflicted when it comes to the whole god thing. Always thought since i was a kid that there was something out there that knew exactly who i was no matter how hard i tried to hide myself. Always thought people were pretty blind but there was still some strong intelligence that knew exactly what the heck was going on and wasn't blinded by television or any of the other distractions of life. Pretty much an intelligence that was not an idiot that i could never fool and had been through more than me no matter how impossible that sounds.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:19PM

My faith has grown gradually since I was a juvenile. Went through agnosticism, then back to faith. And have lived by faith since.

Leaving Mormonism helped me to recognize that my faith was independent of that religious cult. I needed to free myself from it in order to understand that the same God I worshiped as a Mormon was still there for me absent Mormonism.

That was revelatory.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:01PM

Leaving did not bring me a stronger belief in God, however, the study, etc. I put in to find what I consider 'truth' did.

I will admit that all that Mormon/religious brain washing made it 'necessary' to me to try to determine the 'truth' about God as there was the threat of Hell and eternal suffering ------ ouch!

I now have a much stronger belief in 'Source/God', after life, etc. based on my personal experiences. Supporting experiences from others helps also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 08:01PM by spiritist.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 10:27PM

When I was a TBM (well, 90% TBM) I told myself that if I ever left or found out some truth, I couldn't believe anything else. Fast forward many years...yup, I'm out and don't believe in anything else. It's impossible for me after the mind**ck that is the LDS church.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 05:11AM

I tend to trust my gut. If it contracts (noticeable to the outside observer - or not), I back away. Not saying the info is bad but I want to have time to contemplate and connect the dots.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:55AM

I’m a believer, it’s part of who I am. When my Mormon shelf broke, I re-examined as my mindsets, core values, and beliefs. For many years, I considered myself an agnostic, but I was denying my real self.

One day, over a great conversation, a buddy suggested I try saying, “fuck God” over and over again. I did, we laughed, but I just couldn’t really feel in in my heart.

Eventually, I did something unthinkable when leaving Mormonism, I joined another church. My current church has open communion, women pastors, gay clergy, and is a “reconciliation” congregation—we welcome LGBTQ people as our sisters and brothers.

Mostly what’s different is the understanding of grace, something so lacking in Mormonism. As people, we experience broken lives, relationships, and dream. As a Christian, the concept of grace helps me mend these.

Does a person need religious faith for a good life, healing, and happiness? Of course not. Do my friends need to belief like me? Absolutely not! My problem with Mormonism is that it teaches its members to only love, befriend, and accept other Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 12:04PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 01:43PM

Date: June 14, 2018 03:40PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> I’m a believer, it’s part of who I am. When my
> Mormon shelf broke, I re-examined as my mindsets,
> core values, and beliefs. For many years, I
> considered myself an agnostic, but I was denying
> my real self.
>
> One day, over a great conversation, a buddy
> suggested I try saying, “fuck God” over and
> over again. I did, we laughed, but I just
> couldn’t really feel in in my heart.
>
> Eventually, I did something unthinkable when
> leaving Mormonism, I joined another church. My
> current church has open communion, women pastors,
> gay clergy, and is a “reconciliation”
> congregation—we welcome LGBTQ people as our
> sisters and brothers.
>
> Mostly what’s different is the understanding of
> grace, something so lacking in Mormonism. As
> people, we experience broken lives, relationships,
> and dream. As a Christian, the concept of grace
> helps me mend these.
>
> Does a person need religious faith for a good
> life, healing, and happiness? Of course not. Do my
> friends need to belief like me? Absolutely not! My
> problem with Mormonism is that it teaches its
> members to only love, befriend, and accept other
> Mormons.

I don't know if i can fully say f#ck god either because i do acknowledge true efforts to help me through all the hell i went through. Even though i do feel god let me down when i was a kid i can't ignore efforts to help me get through hell in recent years. I think someone out there knows what i want to be and can be. Whether its god or my dead friends someone wants me to succeed and get out of pain even when i want to just say f#ck it and quit.

Date: June 14, 2018 04:57PM

Badass, I think God was enjoying himself during that conversation—“Look at those two wankers! I gave them penises and that’s not good enough to prove my existence!” :)

Date: June 15, 2018 06:34PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Badass, I think God was enjoying himself during
> that conversation—“Look at those two wankers!
> I gave them penises and that’s not good enough
> to prove my existence!” :)

Indeed, blessed be the day of the creation of the penis. I know that is in the bible somewhere.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 04:23PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> BYU Boner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Badass, I think God was enjoying himself during
> > that conversation—“Look at those two
> wankers!
> > I gave them penises and that’s not good
> enough
> > to prove my existence!” :)
>
> Indeed, blessed be the day of the creation of the
> penis. I know that is in the bible somewhere.

Does this in any way relate to the Jewish prayer where men give thanks to God that they were not born as women? What IS all that ap-cray, anyway??? :(

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 07:01PM

Do you belong to a particular denomination, Boner? Or is it an independent church? (If you don't mind saying.)

Date: June 14, 2018 09:41PM

ELCA Lutheran.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:58AM

Im open now, to more possibilities, than I ever was before.
I look at ethical science and find myself in awe.

Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 01:06PM

I neither know or believe. I do hope that there is something to the concept of being with loved ones forever...but much of the actuality of that being real is too big for me to conceptualize when looking around the earth and the universe. I am a hopeful agnostic.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 01:38PM

I can't really remember the sequence, whether my increasing faith in divinity brought me to increased doubt in Mormonism, or if my increasing doubt in Mormonism opened up options for a better understanding of divinity.

Regardless, I am a believer in God. I don't try to define God other more than a creative force that brought the Universe into form with an intent and a purpose that includes me. Whoever or whatever is capable of that scale of creation cannot be defined by human terms.

Date: June 14, 2018 01:40PM

I’ve noticed that life really doesn’t care what you believe or don’t believe. It just goes on. Be here now, not off in la la land.

Mormonism - What a shit show. May it suffer a humiliating end.

Date: June 14, 2018 03:42PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> I’ve noticed that life really doesn’t care
> what you believe or don’t believe. It just goes
> on. Be here now, not off in la la land.
>
> Mormonism - What a shit show. May it suffer a
> humiliating end.

The world keeps spinning with or without you that is for sure.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 03:51PM

I believe what I've always believed, that God is a metaphor we use try to make some sense out of existing within an eternal mystery, which remains an eternal mystery to all of us.

Like Carl Sagan once said, "Yes I believe in 'god' if by the word, 'god', you mean the embodiment of the immutable laws that govern the universe."

I'm with Carl.

Date: June 15, 2018 06:35PM

Makes sense. It's better than god being an exalted man that's for sure.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 05:30PM

When I left Mormonism, I read one of the Gospels, Matt, and paid attention to just what Jesus said.

And it shocked me.

And I found it facinating.

I call it the ideology of Jesus

Basically, we HAVE to treat others the way we want to be treated. That is the second commandment.

We also need to help those in need, and we can't brag about it, or there is no reward in heaven.

Also his interactions with the chief priests, scribes and Pharisees is priceless.

I told my adult tbm son how we shouldn't brag about our good works or there is no reward in heaven, and he didn't think that was right, lol

Jesus ripped apart the religious leaders for the perks, the fame, the special treatment they expected

Jesus was very specific about how leaders are supposed to act. He would never tolerate the Mormon leaders perks.

Date: June 14, 2018 07:07PM

Mormonism is a cult of wealth and luxury. Mormon heaven is City Creek Mall writ large. They even have cash registers in their temples, for fuck’s sake. Huge crystal chandeliers adorn the Celestial room. So tell me again who will not be mocked.

Date: June 14, 2018 07:10PM

And a golden calf. Not just one, like ancient Israel, but eight! Where’s Moses when you really need him?

Date: June 15, 2018 06:38PM

I told a mormon once that the jesus from the new testament would tare their church apart and put all the leaders in their place and i was called a blasphemer of course.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 06:58PM

I believe in the bible and God. But I support lbqt people, I believe in evolution. I have always believed in God but Mormonism got in the wAy and made me feel bad.. I,m a single 43, female. Now l,m real happy, I never got sucked into Mormonism to begin with. I believe in the gospel, just not the Mormon one

Date: June 14, 2018 07:41PM

Ironically, it was faith that led me to question Mormonism. I went through all of Mormonism’s so called blessings and rejected them all. Let me be last to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, I said. What do I need garments for? I already had natural protection. Maybe this Nazi-lite control regime isn’t as essential as I think. Maybe I should look more closely. So I looked closely and saw the cracks. Little tiny cracks at first, but cracks where there shouldn’t be any. Perfect things don’t have cracks. Then came the rabbit hole. The whole facade collapsed. There was no escape, no going back. Eventually I learned that TSCC is a stranger to God. There’s a reason Mormon rhymes with Mammon. Its God is the almighty dollar.

Date: June 14, 2018 07:42PM

I can't wait to see the look on the TBM's faces when they find out they are not the true church.

Date: June 14, 2018 10:35PM

Yes, well that’s a sad thing. A collapsing shelf is bad enough. To realize you’ve been swindled out of a life, how much worse? Esau got a sweet deal from Jacob by comparison.

Date: June 15, 2018 06:41PM

They will still believe their church is true reguardless of what anything happens. They are brainwashed to the core.

Date: June 15, 2018 10:29PM

Then they are right. Death is their only salvation.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 06:30PM

Doesn't it make sense that very few people, if any, get the chance to figure things out for themselves?

Aren't we all 'pushed' into a religious position by the circumstances of our births?

I tried very, very hard to raise my last two sons with no religious input. In a few years I'll take a shot at debriefing them. But for certain, up til now they have been spared all the minutes and hours their peers have invested in religiousity.

They have no questions and are not looking for answers.

Date: June 15, 2018 06:43PM

The being born in it kind of puts you in a bad spot right out of the gates.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.