Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 04:12AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 06:01AM

Another gimmic.

Another quirky persona trying to sell a book.

Outdated Clint Eastwood wannabe. Tough isn't sexy anymore, just obnoxious. I'm a woman, and I don't like him, or what he has to say.

He's a teacher, but is he practicing?

Psychologist--not a psychiatrist.

Posted by: quidprostatusquo ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 10:37AM

< Another gimmic.
< Another quirky persona trying to sell a book.

What makes you say that?

< Outdated Clint Eastwood wannabe. Tough isn't sexy anymore, just obnoxious. I'm a woman, and I don't like him, or what he has to say.

Clint Eastwood wannabe? Tough isn't sexy anymore? According to who? You? Why is being tough obnoxious? What is it specifically that he has to say that you don't like?

Are you under the impression that being a woman makes your opinion more or less valuable than a man's opinion?

< He's a teacher, but is he practicing?

That question alone says it all, really.

< Psychologist--not a psychiatrist.

Is that a bad thing? He devotes his time to helping people solve their own problems, rather than medicating them. If you've read his books, or listened to anything he has to say, really, it's that people should take responsibility for themselves, confront their fears head on, and become better.

That's what clinical psychologists do.

Or are you mad that he makes it uncool to play the victim card all the time? :)

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 06:41AM

He speaks the truth,Pay attention

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 06:42AM

He’s an entertainer. Are you not entertained? At least he thinks a lot about what he’s talking about. What I find curious is how he rails against ideological possession with the passion of a man who is ideologically possessed. However, he has a knack for making psychology accessible. Hacking one’s own mind is a thing these days, so I think he has a niche there. Playing the angry white man always gets a crowd, so it’s a nice schtick even if it’s unintentional. Peterson is food for thought with a grain of salt.

Date: June 14, 2018 06:59AM

I mean, he’s incredibly articulate and persuasive. He speaks his truth, explaining things in terms you’ve never heard before. He comes at spiritual topics from an Atheist-friendly position. But as I watch him, I try to pick up on the filters through which he views the world. His truth might not be my truth. I don’t really agree with the degree of pessimism in those filters, but since he places such a high value on due diligence it’s not a waste of time listening to what he has to say. That’s a huge difference from GAs, which are a complete waste of time listening to.

Date: June 14, 2018 07:30AM

Although having said that, I sense that he over-sells. He uses words rather recklessly. For example, as a contemporary of Richard Alpert at Harvard, he would be familiar with the lectures of Ram Dass, and sure enough he uses the “Life is suffering” meme in his lectures. But the meaning is totally different from what Ram Dass or his late guru (who taught it to him) had in mind. Using it as a sound bite to drive home a point is a cheap shot. So in a case like that, he’s like an ape flinging poo. It makes me wonder what this monkey is mad at. He’s smart enough that he doesn’t have to use his words like a hammer, but he gets off on the dramatic effect. Maybe he loves to hear himself talk, and maybe there’s nothing wrong with that. Those are the best speakers.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:16AM

He's not wrong, he's just an asshole, who appeals to white male nationalists.
Having said that, he doesn't give two shits about being politically correct, a lot like Bill Maher and Sam Harris, which I like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 12:01PM by koriwhore.

Date: June 14, 2018 12:22PM

That's an interesting take. I find him to be the opposite of an a-hole. Sometimes I wish he WOULD be an a-hole because his meek & mild approach sometimes results in people shouting him down.

Can you provide examples of when you think he acted like an a-hole?

Date: June 14, 2018 08:05PM

quidprostatusquo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's an interesting take. I find him to be the
> opposite of an a-hole. Sometimes I wish he WOULD
> be an a-hole because his meek & mild approach
> sometimes results in people shouting him down.
>
> Can you provide examples of when you think he
> acted like an a-hole?

Arguing that women shouldn't be allowed to wear makeup and high heels to work.
https://youtu.be/KTWJfX0bx30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 08:06PM by koriwhore.

Date: June 15, 2018 02:57PM

Anyone who is honest enough to listen to the whole (uncut) interview knows very well that's not at all what he said.

If you really care about understanding truth, and not perpetuating mis-characterizations of people, you'll listen to the entire interview.

Go ahead, listen to the whole thing, then report back and apologize for lying on RfM. Before you edit your post in shame, you said:

"Arguing that women shouldn't be allowed to wear makeup and high heels to work." - koriwhore

But thank you for proving the point: people who don't like Jordan Peterson are victims of propaganda.

Date: June 15, 2018 05:36PM

quidprostatusquo Wrote:
> Anyone who is honest enough to listen to the whole
> (uncut) interview knows very well that's not at
> all what he said.
>
> If you really care about understanding truth, and
> not perpetuating mis-characterizations of people,
> you'll listen to the entire interview.
>
> Go ahead, listen to the whole thing, then report
> back and apologize for lying on RfM. Before you
> edit your post in shame, you said:
>
> "Arguing that women shouldn't be allowed to wear
> makeup and high heels to work." - koriwhore
>
> But thank you for proving the point: people who
> don't like Jordan Peterson are victims of
> propaganda.

Ive listened to the whole interview. Like I said, he is not wrong, just an asshole.
Listen for yourself to his argument only an asshole would make.

https://youtu.be/VSOwhAjhjdQ

Date: June 15, 2018 06:49PM

Are you going to apologize for mischaracterizing his argument or not? Now that you've admitted to having listened to the whole thing, you can't expect anyone yo give you a free pass. You knowingly misrepresented Jordan Peterson's position.

Ironic that one of his 12 rules for life is to be honest. Guessing you haven't read the book. lol!

Date: June 16, 2018 11:41AM

quidprostatusquo Wrote:
> Are you going to apologize for mischaracterizing
> his argument or not? Now that you've admitted to
> having listened to the whole thing, you can't
> expect anyone yo give you a free pass. You
> knowingly misrepresented Jordan Peterson's
> position.
>
> Ironic that one of his 12 rules for life is to be
> honest. Guessing you haven't read the book. lol!
Guessing you are a White Incel fanboy who cant get laid, and approves of his forced monogamy ideas?
Just a hunch.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 11:47AM

These comments are ridiculous, Peterson uses evidenced based arguments, so the attacks here against Babylon seem incredibly misplaced and driven by venom rather than facts.

Petersons points on everything from the use of Gini data in crime, to how equality arguments are misleading are very robustly founded.

Date: June 16, 2018 05:19PM

Typical ad hominem. So no apology then? You have a lot of anger, and your racist attitude is just ugly. His idea of forced monogamy = marriage, which a lot of people fought hard to earn recently for homosexual couples. Thanks for showing us your true colors. Again.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:18AM

Who?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 10:18PM

angela Wrote:
> Who?

Exactly. Never heard of the guy.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:24PM

He didn’t argue that in the clip.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 10:56PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 12:12PM

Sometimes, it’s difficult to identify Jordan Peterson’s points because of his psychobabble. He also tends to state conclusions without identifying research bases supporting those conclusions; I find this problematic with an academic psychologist. The Shrinking Boner.

Date: June 15, 2018 11:26PM

There is a lot of that to wade through, but he’s always dropping practical hints about having healthy relationships and explaining why relationships go south. Some of it is relevant to Mormonism. Relationships need to be negotiated. Being a doormat is toxic to a relationship, so well intentioned Mormon “niceness” can wreck your relationships.

He asks the big questions, which should be asked just to get discussion going. The big ideological players are becoming too monocultural, which as we see in TSCC leads to a kind of banal stagnation and an erosion of hard-won progress. They need guys like him to shake things up.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:31PM

My Mom's reading a book by him right now. Every night at the dinner table, I have to hear about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.