Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 07:43AM

Do you think the Mormon look is bred into it's members? I mean to me they are pretty easy to spot just by looking at their face. In another thread they were talking about Sandra Tanner. With all her opposition to the church, she still looks like a Molly Mormon. Kind of sad that these cult members have a specific image.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 08:41AM

The cult look isn’t unique to Mormonism, but there is a look. I’ll bet many of us exmos still have it. Kinda creepy, huh?

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 03:45AM

Thankfully, tank tops don't count. In 100° whether I can't help but wonder if others are jealous of me wearing a tank and flaunting it.

That or they're judging because I am wearing "Satan's clothes."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 11:03AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 11:11AM

Date: June 16, 2018 01:26PM

Saying gosh, heck, etc? Is that what you mean?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 01:00PM

I still look like church lady especially now--older and with pudge.

My daughter says I need visible tattoos to combat the problem.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 01:04PM

My Utah family members (many are in Orem) definitely have that Mormon look. I've noticed this before and always thought it was so weird!! I can't even describe it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 01:04PM by bluebutterfly.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 01:48PM

My son does not. My ex does have the look, VERY MUCH SO. My 3 siblings who left in their teens do not have the mormon look. I think my niece and nephews do unless they happen to be smoking at the time!

Most of us are out, but most of us still look mormon.

I don't believe my dad looked mormon, thinking about it.

The only thing I could do is get a tattoo on my face as I usually wear long sleeves and jeans even in simmer. Dye my hair blue or something. Oh, wait, old ladies used to dye their hair blue, pink, etc. Oh well. I'm stuck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 01:49PM by cl2.

Date: June 15, 2018 02:46PM

You want to know something really freaky? I haven’t worn garment tops in over 5 years, but the “Mormon smile” is creased into my skin exactly where the garments sat originally. Seriously, not making it up.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 02:56PM

Hmmm

Date: July 01, 2018 03:42AM

Jesus that's creepy. I have a crease around my neck but it's not from garments.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 07:43AM

I don't think they were supposed to be worn THAT tight.

;-J

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 03:03PM

I'm doing a production 'Mary Poppins' right now and if the lady playing her doesn't have the Molly Mormon look, I'm Taylor Swift.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 05:27PM

I've looked at various people in retail locations and my first thought is, "they've gotta be Mormon". Can't really put my finger on what it is about their looks or mannerisms or language but there is something that makes me wonder.

Posted by: alisonwonderland ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 06:06PM

Im sure Mormons would take this thread as a compliment and assume it must be Christ in their “countenance” or whatever. What a “peculiar people!”

Date: June 15, 2018 09:42PM

You can see the same countenance in the old Heaven’s Gate cult videos, or Jehovah’s Witnesses. I’m not sure it’s Jesus.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 08:30PM

They have the glow of pyrite.

Date: June 15, 2018 08:32PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have the glow of pyrite.

This is hilarious.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 01:33PM

Phony as a 3 dollar bill comes to mind, Don!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 03:20AM

Here's a kick.

I used to be able to spot Mormon and or Utah families when watching the older re-runs of Family Feud with Richard Dawson. Even in that timeframe (late 70s- early 80s) when families dressed in polyester suits and prairie dresses, I could almost always spot the bishop and his family from the opening scenes.

Same with the Ray Comb's version of the game show.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 11:27AM

Its the Mishy pimply face with a Huge glow! You know kinda
like "I know I got pimples but I am so awesome that I cant
wait until my Mission is done and find me a girlfriend"!

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 01:48PM

I see it too. It's definitely not "Christ in the countenance," because I see it in some ex-mo's too.

If you google "mormon polygamy inbreeding problems" or similar phrases, then you'll see dozens of links about the genetic problems associated with Mormon inbreeding. So it's no surprise that there are common shared physical characteristics as well.

To me, the Mormon "look" is typified by the Osmond clan.

Posted by: laurad ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 04:50PM

My partner and I will be watching something on the tv and I'll say, "They're Mormons." He always ask how I know and the answer is always the same: Mormons have a look, especially ones from the western states.

Date: July 01, 2018 03:40AM

I am not sorry, but the only thing I can think of being a "mormon look" are those hideous Lularoe clothes.
They SCREAM "Hey, I'm a Mormon brand!"

But yeah, there is a certain look due to the damn garments.

Date: July 01, 2018 04:18AM

I had to look up what Lularoe clothes looked like. Totally Mormon looking. Yikes!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 08:45AM

jett Wrote:
> I had to look up what Lularoe clothes looked like.
> Totally Mormon looking. Yikes!

Never heard of them either. You are right, definitely the Mormon look. And here is the kicker: the company is run as a multi-level marketing scheme. The entire company just screams "Mormon"!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 10:14AM

It's owned by a Mormon woman. And sellers who attend the company's conventions are expected to adhere to Mormon modesty standards, Mormon or not. Company higher-ups have been known to publicly call out and shame convention-goers who are not dressed to those standards. The sellers even wear LLR to the convention's formal dinner!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 10:14AM by summer.

Date: July 01, 2018 04:32PM

alsd Wrote:
> jett Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I had to look up what Lularoe clothes looked
> like.
> > Totally Mormon looking. Yikes!
>
> Never heard of them either. You are right,
> definitely the Mormon look. And here is the
> kicker: the company is run as a multi-level
> marketing scheme. The entire company just screams
> "Mormon"!

My friend wanted me to get into them but the prices are steep and the prints horrendous. It's $5,000 just to "join the team."

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 03:48AM

I couldn't look or act like them even if I tried. But I don't want to be like them. Weird is an understatement.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 04:27AM

My daughter and I like to create that look on our faces, just for laughs.

When stereotypical Mormons smile, it looks almost like a frown. They scrunch up their cheeks, which pulls the center of the mouth upwards, like a smile, but the corners remain where they were, un-moving. The eyes squint from the bottom, but not from the top, as in a real smile, and there are no creases at the corner's of the eyes, which in normal people create "smile lines" or "crow's feet." Mormons smile with their upper lip and cheeks, but never with their eyes. This is why their smiles look fake. Well, probably they ARE fake.

You'd have to see my daughter--she has it down! She is blonde and blue-eyed, and pretty. When she does this imitation, she juts out her jaw, and turns up her nose at you.

Another look she does is the vacant, spacey, out-of-focus stare, and she isn't really looking into your eyes. She uses that child-like temple-voice, and says, "I wish you would go out with my son--you would be such a good influence on him."

Date: July 01, 2018 07:11AM

It isn't all that surprising or sad that exmormons might look like exmormons.

Once we're out, we can choose to change our appearance or not. We're free!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 07:18AM

To an extent. We’re like trees the nursery twists into unusual shapes. It’s kinda permanent.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 09:51AM

My job frequently takes me into Yellowstone Park. The Mormons are easily identifiable and have the "look". It's not even necessary to see their garments hanging out below their shorts.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 10:00AM

That PHONY smile. They have that mastered.
Its almost like (A Switch goes off and on).

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 11:19AM

I was on a business trip about 10 years ago and was talking with people at the meeting I was attending when they found out I was from Salt Lake City. The first gentleman stated he had been in Provo for business a couple of weeks ago. He said it was odd and "It looked like everybody jumped out of a J Crew catalog!" I laughed and said "exactly."

Another gentleman was listening and chimed in, "I was there once on business and thought I had entered the movie The Stepford Wives and The Stepford Children." He corrected himself and said, "Not the 2004 comedy version with Bette Midler, the first creepy version from 1975." I started laughing so hard, I had to sit down cause I wasn't breathing right. Others chimed in after making some great outside looking in points about Utah/Mormons, but those first two comments take the cake!

And oh they are so correct. I now refer to Utah County as Stepford County.

Date: July 01, 2018 12:21PM

It was a part of the country they'd never seen and they thought they'd learn about the culture and people in depth.

After two days, they decided they knew more than they wanted to know. Temple Square was full of mormon stalkers trying to convert them and they weren't allowed to tour the temple. Everyone they met seemed bland, pasty and fake.

They left for Yellowstone and had a wonderful time.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 04:44PM

My experience with Mormons is from the 60's to about 2000, most of that time I was a member.

The Mormon Look has changed, many, many times. I wore much the same clothing as a non-member after I converted with just one or two changes. No more sleeveless shirts/dresses etc. No short-shorts.

When I joined we looked like everyone else in the 60's in our area. Work clothing was the same. It was rare to see someone wear Birkenstock's to church, for instance. We wore our nicest clothing as females: hose, heels, etc. Kids were their Sunday clothes, not their school clothes. Two piece bathing suits were coming on the scene, but most of us still had one piece suits. They were pissy about dressy dresses as they wouldn't allow straps on a gown.

My observation is that they are becoming more and more outside the usual dress code of an area. Layers. I never wore layers! Longer skirts. Modesty is getting more strict. Girls are wearing prom dresses I would put on the mother of the bride!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 10:30AM

I looked up Lularoe clothes. Ewwwwwwww! That there is some ugly s***! At least most of it was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.