Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 06:59PM

How to define the glow? Here's how I see it.

My older sister, who once wrote here at RfM and introduced me to the works of the Tanners, just got married at the Mormon temple in St. George, Utah. She lives in the Sacramento region, which has its own temple. Why marry in St. George? It just happens to be the town my parents moved to with their two adult daughters. My father bought three large houses there, one for him and my mother, and the other two for his two faithful Mormon daughters. He financed businesses for their husbands, spending who knows how many tens of thousands. His non-Mormon offspring received no "blessings." We were spurned, my older sister included.

After the death of her third husband, my older sister moved to Woodland, CA to be near her daughter and grandson. But something went wrong. Something like three marriages going wrong, I expect. My older sister couldn't get along with her in-law family, as had happened with all her marriages. Though retired, she moved away from her own daughter and grandson. This caused some hard feelings, I'm sure. What to do? It occurred to her that she could appease her aging cult parents. All she had to do was proclaim me and my brother apostate scoundrels and lasso up a husband. But it had to be a Mormon husband, though he be an old loser from the anus of Pennsylvania she found online. Whatever he was, he was fodder for Mom and Dad's attention.

A whirlwind romance ensued, carefully scripted to display respect for Church Dad, who has a pile of money. My older sister married in the temple, and local Mormon family showed up. They dined in high style at the Olive Garden restaurant, and wished the blushing bride and her back country groom all the best. How beamish with righteous pride was my sister. How accepted by cultists and blessed with fresh opportunity! That's the Mormon glow, right there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:11PM

My sibs and I used to joke that our “glow” came from radiation, which I’m thinking might be better.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:21PM

So all sister had to do was give up her integrity to get the glow (and be in line for some cash).

Date: June 19, 2018 07:39PM

In a word, yes.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:40PM

Dad wanted a Mormon and he got one. Win win. Nice work if you can get it.

Posted by: not anonymous no more ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:22PM

They went to Olive Garden instead of Chuckarama?!? Living the high life indeed!

Date: June 19, 2018 08:01PM

They go to Chuckarama for Thanksgiving. Olive Garden is for formal events. Good thing Daddy Warbucks is rich. Taco Bell just won't do :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 08:03PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:45PM

I thought the glow came from all the Scandinavian stock that got bamboozled into the church 150 years ago, and they just happen to have really nice skin.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 11:08PM

novelist Jonathan Kellerman described as "Swedish pink." That one made me giggle out loud.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:46PM

Amazing. How many marriages? How long can she keep this act up?

Not much mystique in that there temple.

Date: June 19, 2018 07:50PM

She's just a 63-year-old Mormon girl who loves and sustains her assigned leaders. Now, on the auspicious occasion of her fourth attempt at marriage, she finally got Mommy and Daddy's attention.

Will Daddy leave her some cash? Will Mommy answer her desperate phone calls? Stay tuned for disgusting details.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 20, 2018 07:22AM

She's only 50 however. While still estranged from the Mormon Church she has moved back to Utah "into the fold". She's husband hunting. We are just waiting for her to meet a TBM guy and she will be back "in" in an instant.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 20, 2018 12:13PM

this need to be married. Of course, I wanted to be married. It was MY DREAM. No longer. I actually learned no to make that mistake again.

My therapist and I were just discussing this yesterday, Even though the idea is marriage, he said most couples this age (I'll be 61 soon), he called it MLS, married living separate. But I know so many women who have married over and over and over again. What torture!!!

My boyfriend's 3 sisters have been married 7 times between them.

I have a cousin who has been married 6 or 7 times. He got married in the temple for the first time in his 60s. I think they get us through the temple at a young age so we can buy into it. I can't imagine what he thought the first time through. This marriage seems to have stuck as he has to be late 70s I think!! Oh my. He is my oldest cousin.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 07:48PM

That must really bite, Don. But OTOH, your sister is paying a high price for her favored child status.

Date: June 19, 2018 07:51PM

She won't get what she thinks she'll get.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 07:51PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 08:28PM

Your birth family just keeps "giving" like no other, Don.

Like Billie said though, "God bless the child who's got his own."

Amen to that.

Date: June 19, 2018 08:45PM

My 4 sisters have had 9 husbands between them.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 08:52PM

Practice makes perfect? Only a few more to go then . . .

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 19, 2018 09:33PM

wow, she has gone through so many husbands. trying to please the aging cult parents. I just love your descriptions. but everything just reeks DYSFUNCTIONAL. i'm sorry you happen to be related to them. just know you are not like them. you seen so normal and kind. I have much dysfunction in my tbm family also. you do not suffer alone.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 20, 2018 04:20AM

Oh frabjous day! Correct usage of the word "beamish" on RfM!

Thanks Don ;-)

Date: June 20, 2018 05:06PM

You know I'm a fan of Jabberwocky. The word 'chortled' is also in my vocabulary.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: June 20, 2018 07:17AM

I don't know how old pop's is but he has got to be getting up there in age. I predict that when he goes, and sister gets her inheritance, her marriage will also end, (knowing that she probably won't get a dime, especially if the two younger sisters are as greedy as their dad.) JMHO

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 20, 2018 07:18AM

at the Olive Garden restaurant."

Only in Utah could eating there be defined that way.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 20, 2018 08:13AM

Mystique ? More like mistake.

Posted by: jeffbagley ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:08PM

It may seem like eternity by the time this chapter ends.

Date: June 23, 2018 03:00AM

You're telling me, brother.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 11:15PM

Don, somewhere in a dimension far, far away is a version of yourself who is a loyal lapdog of mormondom, who has a marital resume of some length, a brood of six malformed spawn, and is in the good graces of Daddy Morbucks. However, that Don, let's call him Don666, couldn't parse a 3-word sentence from Dick and Jane.

Wanna trade places with Don666?

:)

Date: June 23, 2018 03:01AM

You know I wouldn't. By the way, excellent point.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 11:45PM

Date: June 23, 2018 03:01AM

I know.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 12:48AM

Did you say this TBM sister of yours is she who introduced you to the works of the Tanners?

TBM may mean: To Benefit Monetarily.

Date: June 23, 2018 03:02AM

That seems to be how it works in my misbegotten family of birth.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 02:03PM

"Mormon Mystique" - found in the DSM under "Psychopathia Mormonensis"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.