Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 01:38AM

So I got a case for my new Nintendo switch I got and I was carrying it inside holding the handle and it took me back to carrying in my quad scriptures into church I always felt pretty dorky carrying those around, anyone ever had any other moment's where some random object sparked some good or bad Mormon memory

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 05:05AM

I read the subject line and though this thread was about Roy
Rogers' horse balking at something.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:26AM

Have to clean my screen off after reading that, as I had just taken a drink.
Only our seasoned readers will even understand what your talking about. Too funny!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:37AM

Ha ha. Too Funny. Yes. I'm that old.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:41AM

Haha. I object too. Because they moved him from his home in the mojave desert and sold him! Yes, he and Bullet lived there, at the old Roy Rogers Museum, long past their deaths. It was our claim to fame in the Hi-desert and I used to love seeing the fake one, rearing up on his back legs, as we'd pass it on the freeway. The real one was inside.

Now the museum is in Branson. Which I have to admit makes sense. We oldies flock there (I'm told, never been myself) and fewer and fewer people were taking the exit to the museum in Victorville and more and more poor youngsters who never got the thrill of watching singing cowboys in black and white, were going Roy Who?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 07:32PM

I spent my pre-school years watching Roy Rogers crooning over campfires. With Trigger by his side.

"Happy trails to you until we meet again...."

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 04:54PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spent my pre-school years watching Roy Rogers
> crooning over campfires. With Trigger by his side.
>
>
> "Happy trails to you until we meet again...."

Amyjo, I had the biggest crush on Roy Rogers! He was so cute, and always saw that justice was done :^)

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 07:51PM

baura Wrote:
> I read the subject line and though this thread was
> about Roy
> Rogers' horse balking at something.

I'm thinking Trigger has been taxidermied. I need to look that up!

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 08:07AM

People praying.
Pictures of JC.
The way cult members talk.
"I just want you to be happy".

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 04:40PM

jett Wrote:
> People praying.
> Pictures of JC.
> The way cult members talk.
> "I just want you to be happy".

Me too man. Statues of jesus and pictures of jesus are a huge trigger for me.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 22, 2018 09:41AM

My triggers are the face of Dallin Oaks and any glance at Bednar. The rest of the Gerontocracy are pathetic but I find the arrogance/ignorance factor of those two to be so extreme as to have pushed them into the realm of actually being evil in their selfishness.

Actually I should list Wendy as an honorable mention. She deserves the credit she has worked so hard for.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 02:44AM

I have a phobia about sweating. It reminds me of how horrible the Mormon garments felt in the Southern California heat. My long sleeved, long skirted Sunday clothes would stick to me, as I walked up the church steps, in full view of the ocean, dragging my unhappy little kids with me. (My sweet children have forgiven me, but I will never forgive myself for forcing them into a cult.) Chafing, uncomfortable, sticky, polyester makes my skin crawl, and the sight of others wearing them makes me angry.

At the grocery store today, a young mother was all decked-out with makeup, and streaked hair (with her neck shaved in the back) and too many little toddlers piled into her cart--and her garments hung out the bottom of her shorts. I wanted to tell her, loudly, "Your Mormon underwear is showing!" But I removed myself from the sight.

Mormon magic underwear is definitely a trigger object.

"Oh Roy, oh Roy, is that your horse?" In Branson! I didn't know where it went.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 07:28PM

My parents walked around the house in their garmies. It wasn't a trigger for me when I was a young girl, other than how ungodly ugly those underwear were.

The memory of seeing them on my parents is one now however ....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 03:13AM

Seeing photos of my parents posing as reasonable people. Too old for child abuse, and therefore saintly now.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 04:34PM

Toss your trigger objects in the garbage or set fire to them.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 02:37AM

Pics of Ol' Joe Smith is a major trigger for me. I used to look up to the dead man and thought him saintly. Boy was my mindset far from the truth!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 02:37AM by lazylizard.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 02:44AM

The word 'modest' triggers me. I heard way, way too much crap about skirt lengths etc growing up. Actually I do dress fairly modestly although not necessarily by Mormon standards.If a company advertises 'modest fashions' I will shop somewhere else.They can show pictures of their product and let the customer decide without dividing people int 'modest' and.'immodest' categories.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 01, 2018 10:43PM

When I read Trigger my mind went directly to Willie Nelson as that's the name of his guitar. Yup that scrubby Martin is his!

It's been a long time since I've seen anything that reminds me of my time in Mormonism. I consider that a "Good Thing."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 03, 2018 03:42PM

I was thinking Wendy and then I read Done & Done's reply, so he beat me to it.

I'm surprised by what doesn't trigger me. I drive to a less populated area to walk my dogs. I park at a stake center and it doesn't trigger me. Go figure. Some of the things my daughter posts on fb like pictures of the scripture that inspired her today or something like that. Her standing outside the Alaskan temple. Temples tend to trigger me. Handshakes. I hate handshakes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.