Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 06:05PM

Why can't it happen, like really happen? I hate the LDS cult so much and everything about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 06:24PM

Because there are those who truly believe in it, support it, defend it.

That is why.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 04:03AM

For some, the investment of so much time and money CAN'T be a waste. Sad.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 06:28PM

jett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why can't it happen, like really happen? I hate
> the LDS cult so much and everything about it.

Lets face it, Mormonism fulfills basic human needs, like belonging to something larger than ones own self, identifying with a strong, unique tribal identity, Tribalism, herd mentality, it works well to mske Mormons seem well adjusted, nice people who make excellent citizens in society.
For all its sins, racism, sexism, homophobia, abuse, perhaps the greatest sin of Mormonism is being the biggest backers of white Nationalism.
Perhaps what brings down the Doomsday Cult of Joseph's Myth will be the realization of the Doomsdsy Prophecies the bet the farm upon.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 11:13PM

When you say "white nationalism" do you really mean white supremacy ?

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 11:15PM

Kori is obviously having a bad day. Perhaps they need to stop hijacking threads. :)

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 12:30PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> When you say "white nationalism" do you really
> mean white supremacy ?
Both.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 06:59PM

Some people need a LOT of direction and structure. Mormonism appeals to such people. It is also a cultural identity that is important to many.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 07:41PM

I strongly dislike the right-wing political movement, but it exists against my desires just as the LDS church exists despite your preferences to the contrary. Others have the right to exercise their political or religious beliefs just as you and I have the same right. Because you or I cannot control what others think or believe, nor should we even want to, it would be much more healthful for each of us to concern ourselves with our own thoughts and beliefs and to worry less about the choices of others. Neither of us really wants to live in a society where anyone is not free to hold the religious or political beliefs he or she chooses to hold.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 09:02AM

scmd1 Wrote:
Neither of us really wants to
> live in a society where anyone is not free to hold
> the religious or political beliefs he or she
> chooses to hold.

Thank you. I have no desire to live in a culture where people are not free to believe whatever they want, and that includes that which I hold to be stupid.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 08:52PM

In a free country, all you can do in such cases is to discuss your disapproval of the organization and its beliefs within your network of people who know you. In cases of more aggregious beliefs and actions by the organization, public oppositon to the organization will build more quickly the more it is exposed.

For the mormon cult to end, the top leaders would have to be caught doing something really bad (complete with perp-walk on primetime TV news and prison time for them). Even now, Warren Jeffs still has followers. For the mormon church to end, I think there will need to be several legal convictions, together with a wider-scale loss of face for the church and its members overall. The organization is so narcissistic that nothing less will cause them to look inward and consider that maybe they are wrong. But the financial profits of their businesses is sacred to them. When their finances suffer, things will change. So I doubt they will do anything seriously illegal. Thus, they will probably ba around for a long time, not because the church is true, but because it is profitable for its leaders.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 11:15PM

Yes, if you can expose just one of the 15 leaders of a horrendous act i think the illusion will all fall a part.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 07:44PM

I think it was in the 1940s... The SLC Police busted into an apustule's love nest and caught him in bed with, basically, his second wife. One might wonder if his first wife knew and approved?

Apustule Lyman was excommunicated.

A man believed to have communed with Jehovah had gone astray and the church marched on.

Date: June 24, 2018 11:29PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I think it was in the 1940s... The SLC Police
> busted into an apustule's love nest and caught him
> in bed with, basically, his second wife. One
> might wonder if his first wife knew and approved?
>
> Apustule Lyman was excommunicated.
>
> A man believed to have communed with Jehovah had
> gone astray and the church marched on.

Dang it, what if it was the prophet? Would it still march on?

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 09:29PM

azsteve is spot on: as long as TSCC's monetary reserves support the ones at the top, living a luxurious life, it won't die out. There's a lot of incentive for the Leaders to keep believin' or to keep actin' it when it puts steak and lobster on their meal table...not to mention the homes, travel, employment for relatives, etc.

Date: June 23, 2018 11:12PM

You sound like me jett. I don't have a clue how to bring it down if i ask myself honestly but a part of me still would like to for the hell i went through. Maybe in a year they won't be on your mind so much or maybe we will be leading an exodus of people out of there. The future is unknown, i shouldn't even be alive so maybe there is hope.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 03:01AM

Always remember that Mormonism is a subset of the universe, and a godawful tiny one at that.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 03:44AM

Yup, let them play dress up and have their dippy little cult. It doesn’t matter to me at all. It primarily affects Utah. Given what was done to Utah’s original inhabitants, I really don’t mind if Utah suffers under Mormonism.

Date: June 24, 2018 12:45PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> Yup, let them play dress up and have their dippy
> little cult. It doesn’t matter to me at all. It
> primarily affects Utah. Given what was done to
> Utah’s original inhabitants, I really don’t
> mind if Utah suffers under Mormonism.

It effects idaho too, think of the badass haha.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 09:06AM

Perhaps in a hundred years or more?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 10:39AM

I agree. The days of rapid growth are certainly over, and the days of any real growth are probably over, but they have enough hard core believers (and more than enough money) to keep it going for a very long time.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 09:16AM

Who knows? I think it more likely there will be enough changes from time to time for the church to stay afloat. Nothing earth-shaking but just pitter-patter of little adjustments. I'll bet the Church will still be here in 100 years but will look much different.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 10:01AM

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 10:28AM

I just read a quote about baseball that said that the satisfaction of winning is not nearly as intense as the misery of losing. There is no way to come out ahead emotionally, but people play and fans watch anyway.

Date: June 24, 2018 11:31PM

Pretty accurate. It's a lose lose to play or watch the game.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 11:18AM

Although delayed gratification is a good thing in most cases, Mormons have been seduced by an extreme and adulterated version of it. The gratification comes in the next life only if you endure this one. This makes endurance the supreme goal and the only goal. The focus is on endurance, not on truth or a life bathed in reason.

So, Mormons continually throw good money after bad, as they say. Not to get a different outcome, but to ensure the ultimate gratification they have been promised and have no intention of giving up.

Date: June 24, 2018 11:49AM

How do you get out of the endurance mentallity is what i want to know.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 01:16PM

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Heaven can wait. Today can't. Because, today is the foundation for tomorrow. Build your own heaven now. Why wait for an afterlife?

Date: June 24, 2018 11:36PM

I see, just have to get out of the afterlife thinking that they pushed so strongly. Life now could be better than an afterlife that you have never been to anyways.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.