Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 03:18PM

old probably. This is so abnormal to me it is not even funny. It almost seems irresponsible. The dad was walking in all proud in his sunday clothes. Jesus, can't get away even on a sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 08:10PM

Was it Waffle House?

Date: June 24, 2018 08:12PM

No chipotle, i consider it a restaurant.

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 08:20PM

I had a feeling it was Chipotle. That place is a magnet for religious families. I once saw a group of about 20 that moved a bunch of tables together, and they all were holding each others hands, praying! In public! It was super awkward for everyone in the place.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 08:26PM

Might be due to where you live. I've never seen anyone display any religiosity in any Chipotle I've ever been in, and I've been in many in many states and including Canada.

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 08:28PM

AZ. We have the usual large cult contigent and many other large offshoots. My favorite being C.C.V. Or as I like to call it, cash, check, or visa. :)

BTW, I am not a religious person, I just find all of the effort that goes into a church kind of humorous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2018 08:28PM by jett.

Date: June 24, 2018 11:06PM

jett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AZ. We have the usual large cult contigent and
> many other large offshoots. My favorite being
> C.C.V. Or as I like to call it, cash, check, or
> visa. :)
>
> BTW, I am not a religious person, I just find all
> of the effort that goes into a church kind of
> humorous.

I was raised in arizona so i know EXACTLY what you are talking about. It's almost as bad as idaho as far as cults go.

Date: June 24, 2018 11:04PM

jett Wrote:
> I had a feeling it was Chipotle. That place is a
> magnet for religious families. I once saw a group
> of about 20 that moved a bunch of tables together,
> and they all were holding each others hands,
> praying! In public! It was super awkward for
> everyone in the place.

I noticed this chipotle is the mormon go to place in this town. Always see missionaries or a mormon family in there.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 08:48PM

I remember taking our first four - all under fve - out for Sunday dinners at the Red Coach Grill (no longer in existance) where the chilren ate for free! This was before becoming a Mormon. The children behaved perfectly and we would go for a swim at the Y (not BYU!).

Date: June 24, 2018 11:08PM

It is bizarre to see that many little kids that close in age for some reason. Two kids should be the max in my opinion.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 08:50PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> It is bizarre to see that many little kids that
> close in age for some reason. Two kids should be
> the max in my opinion.

I personally think two is a sensible number of children to have, and it's how many I have, but I wouldn't want to live in a place where the government or anyone else dictated how many children people could have.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 12:50PM

rhgc Wrote:
> The children behaved perfectly...

I was in the small waiting room of an oil change shop when a woman came in with six kids, the oldest about 10. There was a set of twins. I immediately thought, "Oh crap, this is going to be a noisy, chaotic, annoying mess." But they were calm and quiet. Then I hoped it was because they were just naturally mellow and not abused into submission.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 11:15PM

Families have to eat too.

I don't gawk at families when I go out to eat. I hope they enjoy dining out as much as anyone. With that many children is probably a well earned break from eating in.

Little children are a handful. God love em.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 02:12AM

We had five children, all fairly close in age. We rarely ate out because we had a hard time getting them all to behave. We went to Germany when I was in the Air Force where we learned that our dog would be welcome in most restaurants but the kids - not so much.

Date: June 25, 2018 02:35AM

hgc2 Wrote:
> We had five children, all fairly close in age. We
> rarely ate out because we had a hard time getting
> them all to behave. We went to Germany when I was
> in the Air Force where we learned that our dog
> would be welcome in most restaurants but the kids
> - not so much.

Can you get 5 kids that close in age to behave? From what i saw it does not seem possible. But i am glad i saw it because it reinforces that i only want two kids at the most.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 08:55PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> hgc2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

> Can you get 5 kids that close in age to behave?
> From what i saw it does not seem possible. But i
> am glad i saw it because it reinforces that i only
> want two kids at the most.

My sister's girls are 11, 10, 8, 6, and twin 5-year-olds. Now that they're getting older it's even easier, but she's been able to take them all out in public since they were born without creating any sort of scene. It helps that they're all girls, though my daughter is more difficult than my son is, so having all girls is no guarantee of having well-behaved kids.

I'm not sure why my sister's children are so well-behaved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 09:10PM by scmd1.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 10:05AM

Besides having the four under five, it was later increased to six 9 and younger eating with perfect manners and helping each other, the sixth born on the governor's birthday. The rest came later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2018 10:08AM by rhgc.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 06:57PM

You should have seen my family - a group of ten spoiled brats and almost all two years apart from one another. I love and hate it.

Date: June 25, 2018 09:57PM

lazylizard Wrote:
> You should have seen my family - a group of ten
> spoiled brats and almost all two years apart from
> one another. I love and hate it.

Dang that's a lot.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 07:28PM

I've told the story before of my brother on a road trip going in to a restaurant with his 5 kids (all under 10 I'm sure)--one screaming, one needing a diaper change, others running around, and the waitress saw him and wife at the end of their rope and "took pity on them".

That's the amusing way he tells it--the waitress and other patrons might have a different version...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 07:36PM

He must be so proud of his "eternal family."
One look at it, and normal people take pity on him.
Oh, the joy.

Date: June 25, 2018 10:00PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> He must be so proud of his "eternal family."
> One look at it, and normal people take pity on
> him.
> Oh, the joy.

It is a sad and weird thing to witness out in public, you don't realize how weird it is until you spent some time away from the religion. It's not even close to being a top 10 desire for me and probably many other men.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 10:35PM

So what? Were they bothering you or something? Or just the fact that there were 5 kids bothered you? I guess I'm just wondering about the purpose of your post.

Some families have a lot of kids and some don't. Each family is unique in different ways.

I doubt that a random stranger in a restaurant is in a position to judge another individual family's situation.

Date: June 25, 2018 10:46PM

The amount and the closeness in age bothered me yes. To reproduce just for the sake of reproducing as fast as humanly possible is irresponsible in my opinion. It was like watching a bunch of new born dogs running around the place. Two parents can not control or raise that many kids effectively without a few of the kids paying the price.

Posted by: quidprostatusquo ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:18PM

More likely they were having a good time and you took personal offense at that, like everything else.

Nothing wrong with having 5 kids, if you can support them. Chipotle is not cheap, so there's no indication that the family you saw is hurting for money.

Kind of funny, though, that we're all paying for your medical care and yet you have the gall to tell other people how many kinds they should have.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:02PM

quidprostatusquo Wrote:
> More likely they were having a good time and you
> took personal offense at that, like everything
> else.
>
> Nothing wrong with having 5 kids, if you can
> support them. Chipotle is not cheap, so there's no
> indication that the family you saw is hurting for
> money.
>
> Kind of funny, though, that we're all paying for
> your medical care and yet you have the gall to
> tell other people how many kinds they should have.

You are an idiot. I paid into the system like everyone else did keeping the elderly alive sacrificing my health to this stupid society that never gave a d@mn in the first place. Go back to the handshake club where you belong and cut someone else down that you feel superior too. Guys like you are the ONLY reason I am alive.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:10PM

The more you talk the less guilt I feel for surgeries above 50,000 dollars each. Money should go to the ones that got bullied and beaten in life in my opinion, not the elderly on deaths door anyways. Would I rather the money come from the church? Yes, but the guilt trip that you and my father types try to push on guys like me does not work anymore. I don't care if it takes more than 10 million dollars to get totally healthy again. Jesus always said the worth of one soul is great but he could never really back it up.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:27PM

Just so long as you recognize that you didn't pay $10 million in taxes. You didn't even pay $50k in taxes to offset one surgery. You've likely only paid a few thousand in taxes based on what you've written on this site.

So I'm simply pointing out that you're happy to take other people's money as if you're entitled to it (more entitled than elderly people btw? that's just bizarre) but then you tell other people they can't have more than 2 kids because.... you just don't like it.

Hypocrisy, thy name is adam.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:34PM

As long as the money comes from guys like you I don't care, there is a price for the words you speak. I'm forced to be alive, I can't feel guilt about it or trying to get healthy again. Once you have suicide on your record it's pretty much over, you're stuck here with people you don't like which is everybody.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:36PM

Every time you pay taxes I want you to think, this is going to the guy that I make fun of online.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:39PM

Every time I pay taxes, I think: This is what allows me to live in the greatest country on the planet.

I don't make fun of you. I just choose not to coddle you like other posters do. You're a man, so act like it.

You don't like my advice, because it makes you uncomfortable.

You don't like when I point out that you have no place telling other people how to live their lives. Bummer.

My advice is helping you whether you like to admit it or not. I'm helping you recover.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:42PM

Whatever you say.

Date: June 26, 2018 05:55PM

Pretty much impossible for me to fully recover from my life and I think I have accepted a scarred mind.

Date: June 26, 2018 06:08PM

As other posters have pointed out, there is no such thing as "fully recovered" since you are the sum of your experiences.

The idea is to be more recovered today than yesterday, and less today than tomorrow. Every day. For the rest of your life.

Date: June 26, 2018 06:17PM

Right, I just don't see at as much of a life to just climb out of a deep pit. For example, I am in a doctors office right now, almost everyone here has obviously not been through a traumatic life. They move at normal speed. No matter how hard I try I can not get to their level because they didn't have a traumatic life. I would rather have died than walk the road of recovery so far and I did try. It's been a very painful road both physically and mentally.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 06:21PM

"almost everyone here has obviously not been through a traumatic life"

You don't know what anyone else has been through.

Date: June 26, 2018 06:27PM

They can act more human and normal than I do I know that much. Have normal conversations without studdering and sh#t. I can't even have a normal f#cking conversation in real life. It's bullsh#t, tired of this sh#t.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:41AM

Chica Wrote:
> So what? Were they bothering you or something?
> Or just the fact that there were 5 kids bothered
> you? I guess I'm just wondering about the purpose
> of your post.
>
> Some families have a lot of kids and some don't.
> Each family is unique in different ways.
>
> I doubt that a random stranger in a restaurant is
> in a position to judge another individual family's
> situation.

A friend of mine had 5 children like stairsteps. My 2 children and I went to restaurants with them many times. All 7 of our children combined ate politely, because that is the way they were trained. My friend and her children were not affiliated with any church. You don't have to be tied to a religion to have many children. Some people are responsible with their children, some are not. If I get seated near a loud, out of control to the extreme child or children, I ask to be moved. It rarely happens.

Posted by: Carter567 ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:07AM

I grew up with siblings with this exact age range (five kids in six years... there was a set of twins in there). One of my main memories of a child is just how endlessly difficult it was on my mom raising us when we were really little. That will be imprinted on me forever and I always wanted to have a smaller family of my own when it was my turn (we are done with three). I felt sorry for her even when I was young because she didn't have much help from family members and my dad was busy with work/building us a home. So it was just her doing her best with five very young girls.

Resources were always spread too thin. My mom could hardly take us anywhere because logistically it was too difficult by herself. We rarely ate out or even went to the store for that matter. When we were really young we often didn't leave the house except on the weekends if my dad was home. All five of us were pretty much only given one option of a predetermined extra curricular activity (piano) because I think it was just too much to drive kids all over the place.

One-on-one time with a parent was pretty much non-existent when I was young. I remember my mom tucking/me into bed at night sometimes and that would be my only memory of the entire day of something she had just done for "me". I've always been a very independent person as an adult but I think I had to learn to be at a very young age due to my upbringing.

Do I think it was irresponsible? Personally I say yes. I know first hand how difficult it was to be raised in those circumstances. I'm sure I wasn't closely monitored as a six year old when my mom was busy with twin newborns. I remember spending hours roaming around the neighborhood by myself at a very young age. I really wish my parent would have spaced us out a bit more in age.

Date: June 26, 2018 02:44AM

My older sister has eight kids now all under the age of 14. It is not a healthy scenario for kids to be raised in. She is just popping out babies just for religions sake. Completely irresponsible to the kids. The kids are not developing properly and will probably end up like me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 10:10AM

Quantity over quality? Hmm...

Date: June 26, 2018 01:23PM

It does seem that way. Popping out babies for numbers and prowess sake.

Posted by: belfastgirl ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:11PM

I am a woman who has one adult child and even though I could not handle having more than one I still think a large family is really nice. That is of course if they can afford it and the children are nurtured properly. A nice family is great and I think too many people are on this independence kick where we are all supposed to be alone to prove ourselves. I am an only child and it would have been nice to have a sibling and it would have been nice for my daughter to have a sibling but I was with a bad marriage partner and was also very ill. There is life after 40 and I know women in mid life who gave their lives to a career because of feminism and now are very much alone because parents are dead and they do not have a partner or children. If families with children are well behaved in public what business is it of anyones?

Posted by: Questionsof Faith ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 10:26PM

So what? What does it have to do with you?

Did you go up and ask them if they were LDS? If not, how can you make that leap?

If you live in Utah, there’s at least a 50% chance they were and as such you should expect it. If it’s that painful, move.

You need to grow up and stop being a freakin victim.

Date: June 27, 2018 03:10AM

Questionsof Faith Wrote:
> So what? What does it have to do with you?
>
> Did you go up and ask them if they were LDS? If
> not, how can you make that leap?
>
> If you live in Utah, there’s at least a 50%
> chance they were and as such you should expect it.
> If it’s that painful, move.
>
> You need to grow up and stop being a freakin
> victim.

The guy was wearing garments hence Mormon. I am growing up I am exposing irresponsible parents. And I hope someone makes you a victim tomorrow.

Posted by: QuestionsofFaith ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 08:35AM

Irresponsible?

For what? Having a lot of kids?

There’s no way you could know that they are irresponsible parents. Again huge judgments based on nothing but your own victimization and desire to lash out.

That’s not recovery, it’s unhealthy.

Date: June 27, 2018 12:02PM

I don't think there ever was recovery to begin with, it was just a delusion like mormonism. I have tried everything down to using crystals for f#ck sakes. I have no idea who I was before certain events. Told my roommate if he wanted to take me out, that that would be fine. He's a skitzo. My mind literally quit life when I was young, there is no bringing it back. It hates this place but at least I am honest. Most people are not honest with themselves.

Posted by: arinae ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 01:29AM

As "stupid" as this sounds to be upset by, I get being traumatized and that anything that reminds you of mormonism can be a trigger. It sucks.

One thing to help with that is to accept that a lot of the messed up crap from TSCC is also common elsewhere. Like it's not just mormons who have big families.

Also, it is possible to have that many kids and be responsible. It's difficult and generally not responsible, but if the kids were behaving, it's best to just ignore them.

Date: June 27, 2018 03:18AM

This whole town is full of triggers of weirdos but so was Arizona. Is everyone a weirdo? Maybe. Why does everyone have to be so weird having tons of babies like they are pretending to be gods and goddesses? They look like f#cling weirdos in society. They need to learn how to be a normal human and go to counseling like I do for f#co sake. They don't care that their weirdness is affecting everyone around them. Just saying my two cents, learn how to be normal with some counseling and some birth control.

Posted by: Just a random guy ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:18AM

Not everyone needs counseling.

Birth control is a personal choice.

"Normal" is just someone else's daydream and trying to be "normal" gives your personal power away to people who do not know you and do not care about you.

"Society" mostly consists of stupid, following, easily herded sheep who are in the process of giving their lives to serve the greedy few who are telling them what normal is and making them feel like they want the normal dream so the sheep will work for their interests unwittingly.

Reproduction is a basic, biological drive found in every species on the planet. Humans are a part of that biological world and subject to the same biological drive to adapt, survive, and multiply. It actually is "normal" for them to have many offspring, and only in the past few decades has this become labeled as "abnormal".

I have met many very successful and happy individuals from big families of 7 or more children, and most of these were not Mormons. Big families are not only a "mormon" thing. I could not parent a family like that responsibly, but there are those who can.

You have no control over who and who will not have a large family. The chances that someone else's choice to have a large family will harm you directly are very small- smaller than the chances that crossing the street you will be hit by a car.

Stop being weak and triggered. Put your mental, emotional and physical energy into things that nurture you. Things that make you feel angry or upset inside drain your energy and leave you sick in some way, and that will manifest as mental, emotional, or physical illness.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:48AM

Large families have harmed me my whole life. What desert island did you grow up on?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:23AM

Not that you are going to actually care, it does not fit with your dreamed up scenario, but lots of Catholic families are also large. I have cousins with 6 - 8 kids in their families.

You need to worry about YOU and only YOU and let the rest of the world live their lives without your constant need to judge and shame.

You display little desire to recover, you display a need to shame and blame. Not very adult. Most days your posts appear to be from an angry adolescent.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:46AM

sbg Wrote:
> Not that you are going to actually care, it does
> not fit with your dreamed up scenario, but lots of
> Catholic families are also large. I have cousins
> with 6 - 8 kids in their families.
>
> You need to worry about YOU and only YOU and let
> the rest of the world live their lives without
> your constant need to judge and shame.
>
> You display little desire to recover, you display
> a need to shame and blame. Not very adult. Most
> days your posts appear to be from an angry
> adolescent.

Well yea. Being an adult is overrated, they just kick the crap out of kids and force kids to do sh#t they aren't supposed to do. There is no full recovery and I have accepted it. Let everyone else tear this world apart just don't come around me with your weirdness in public.

Posted by: Chcia ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 12:18PM

"...just don't come around me with your weirdness in public."

Wow. Just, wow.

People are weird. People are different. People will always be in public places. Thus the use of the word 'public'.

If you don't like it, maybe you should stay away from public places? Just a thought...

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 12:35PM

Excellent idea, but he won't do it.

He appears to live life to be a victim.

No one else has had an awful life, just poor poor Adam. Gag me

Date: June 27, 2018 12:47PM

Chcia Wrote:
> "...just don't come around me with your weirdness
> in public."
>
> Wow. Just, wow.
>
> People are weird. People are different. People
> will always be in public places. Thus the use of
> the word 'public'.
>
> If you don't like it, maybe you should stay away
> from public places? Just a thought...

The public does not let me stay away from public places believe me I have tried. They won't even lock me up permanently in solitary confinement.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 12:51PM

So... someone else makes you go to public places, like Chipotle?

Even your choice of going out to eat is someone else's fault, huh?

Definitely time to grow up and take responsibility for your life and your choices. And while you're at it, stop judging other people for their choices that don't even affect you.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 12:44PM

A house in our neighborhood just went up for sale and two people bid against each other for it.

The house sold in three days for $10K over listing. Housing here isn't as bad as Seattle but the impacts are being felt. To me housing is about 20-25% too high for what you get.

Anyway the house backs a major road with lots of traffic, very noisy. The yard is overgrown and the fence is either non-existent or in very poor shape. I.E., little to no play area, the nearest park is about 1/2 mile away.

The neighbor said the winning bidder is a family with 5 small kids and the wife is pregnant with a sixth.

If anything of interest develops in the next few months, I'll report.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.