Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bendiendo ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 04:57PM

The names submitted for Temple work are being recycled, because the Church has run out of names of the dead. Many places in the world don't have good records, or don't go back very far at all.

When I was a Mormon, I asked about the billions of people who were born and died, never to have their names written down. I was told "Those records will come forth in the Millennium, and Temples will be open 24 hours a day, and have bunk beds in them, so that we can do all the temple work for them."

The prospect of sleeping in a Mormon Temple, and going through the Endowment Ceremony (the pre-1990 version which was the one I'm familiar with...the one with the cutting throat and heart and bowels, and the one with shoving your body against a pervy old Mormon high priest at the veil...called the Five Points of Fellowship) was NOT my idea of a good time, and I DREADED the thought of it. Absolutely DREADED it.

Most countries have very poor genealogical records, especially black Africa, India, the poorer countries. Even in the countries were baptisms and births have been recorded for hundreds of years, nothing was recorded before that except royal genealogies. Billions of people cannot be baptized vicariously, because their names were never recorded anywhere. How can these "records come forth" except via some wort of Ouiji Board type process?

There are no records for billions of people who have lived and died on this planet. They were never recorded. So how can non-existence "records come forth" during the Millennium??? Will space aliens bring them?

Originally, baptism for the dead was only done for relatives of Members who had died, and "sealings" were not son to father to grandfather, but Member of the Church to one of the Apostles. The practice of "sealing" family members together with other family members, did not begin until Wilford Woodruff was President in the 1880s.

I KNEW that the Mormon religion was FALSE not long after I joined it, the first time I saw Facsimile One in the Pearl of Great Price, where it identified a woman with exaggerated hips and eye-lashes as "Pharoah". I said to myself: "This is B____ SH___!" I left, but then I went back. Big mistake. Horrible mistake. A mistake that ruined my life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QuestionsofFaith ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 08:55PM

I think that the original answer you got was the doctrinal one....records would come forth...via revelation or heavenly records to supplement what was kept here on earth.

The millennium would be a time of earthly-heavenly cooperation to seal the human family together.

Posted by: Benviendo ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 03:18PM

Really? Why doesn't God send the Living Prophets the names "now" so that they don't have to recycle names of the dead whose "temple work" has already been done?????

QuestionsofFaith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that the original answer you got was the
> doctrinal one....records would come forth...via
> revelation or heavenly records to supplement what
> was kept here on earth.
>
> The millennium would be a time of earthly-heavenly
> cooperation to seal the human family together.

Posted by: QuestionsofFaith ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:08PM

No idea

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:13AM

God Almighty Creator of The Universe needs the help of the Mormons and their temples, and their records, because, Mormons know how inadequate and disorganized the MorGod is. After all, the MorGod used to be a man, just like the ward clerk.

The Mormon God is too busy taking care of all his wives

Only Mormon men would be so arrogant to think that their God needs their help, to the point that innocent souls will be lost, without their help.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 03:33PM

Well, that's the cult of Joseph Smith for ya!

One thing that I never realized for years was that the church claimed "The dead who have been baptized by proxy have the choice to *receive or reject the Restored Gospel*"--however, after they they are dead-dunked, they are CONFIRMED AS MEMBERS of TSCC.

So how does that really give them a choice?

Anyway, it's all made crap, and a money-maker for the church and a waste of time for countless teenagers to dunk people like Hitler and Pope John Paul II multiple times.

Too bad I never did it, because there a couple of girls in high school that I really would have liked to see in that wet & clingy white outfit....

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 04:23PM

My nevermo great-grandmother had her temple work done on three separate occasions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 06:37PM by summer.

Date: June 27, 2018 05:26PM

Yes, the Endowment ceremony is utterly useless waste of time and money. A bunch of men and women, dressed in absurd clown-clothing, going through an absurd Masonicish ritual, that helps nobody: not the living or the dead.

I think the Los Angeles Temple would make an excellent cemetary, with all the marble in the Temple, it would make an excellent sepulcre to house the dead. Beautiful grounds. They pump choir music on the campus. Put the place to some practical use.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 05:50PM

Interesting you posted about this. It's not a new subject, of course.

When I was an active temple goer, I had a very strong sense that I had been given a name of a female that I had gone through the temple as proxy for, in the past. Somehow, I recognized the name and was very conflicted. I thought it was a typo, a mistake, somehow it was similar, lots of people have the same name thinking one of those reasons must account for it.

Years later, after I left the LDS Church, I knew I was correct. I really had been given the same name twice. Then, I wondered how often that was happening. Did they move lists from one temple to another, on a regular basis?
They could make up names and no one would know the difference. Maybe they do that also.

Of course, the answer to anything they can't find a specific answer for gets dumped into the Millennium as the time when everything is fixed.

After I researched the history of the temple ceremonies, and rituals, I had a good laugh. I was right to feel like I was playing "Dress-ups" in some mock-middle 1800's attire!

I've been through the LA Temple many times. It is a nice place. Interesting location, right smack in the middle of freeways and businesses and raunchy billboards!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 08:21PM

So, what else is knew? At the L.A. temple, this has been going on for as long as I can remember (when I was active, anyway).

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:45PM

I have a question!!!

If the names are sent through various times, at various (or all!) temples, it stands to reason that each name receives a whole slew of Super Secret Temple Names. And if so, are they stuck with the first name given, assuming that can be figured out, or does the person get to pick from the probably rather long list?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 11:10AM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 12:20PM

(in the future, at the veil...)

Has it a name?
It has.
Will you give it to me?
I will, through the veil.

George, Matthew, Mark, Adam, Joseph, Moses, Luke, Hyrum, Isaac. Oh, and I almost forgot, John -- that one was from the time they dead-endowed me at the St. George temple, but my proxy forgot the name. That still counts, right?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 05:11PM

Hey, Lucy is a good name!

Date: June 27, 2018 10:56PM

This is how the Brethren "think":

"Hey, we've run out of names of the dead. What do we do?"

"Well, if we don't keep giving them names, they won't go to the Temple at all, and you know what THAT means?"

"Yep, inactivity. Incest. Adultery. Fornication. Inactivity. No tithe paying."

"Golly, we better recycle the names, for the sake of the Members. All in favor manifest."

All hands go up.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:18PM

I dreaded (instead of) going on a 'missing'.

M@t

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 03:45PM

If it really was all about giving the billions of long-dead people the "opportunity" to join LDS, then why not just one generic but far-reaching "I baptize you for all the people who have ever lived" and be done?

After all, omniscient God knows all the people who ever lived, right? Surely he does!

It's all about the money trail.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 04:51PM

That would make way too much sense.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:05PM

Many a times, I couldn't sit there with a straight face when I was handed that tiny slip of paper. It was hilarious!

Some of mine include:

John 1400s (died)

William 1300 - 1350 (died)

My all time favorite was Jose 1600 ???

Yes, it had question marks. <grin>

Had I been awake and THINKING, then I should have applied the question marks to And the church is true ???

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 01:36PM

I just had this image in my of George Washington in heaven: "Oh god, Martha, here come the damn mormon spirit-missionaries again!
Every time I get baptized again they show up!"

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 03:22PM

By combining all letters in the Western alphabet (because its the only one that matters to the Utah-based cult) in every possible pronouncable permutation, the Linguistics Department will create an enormous list of all possible names of people who have ever lived. These will be sent to robots for robo-dead-dunking. Some of those robots may be members attending your ward now.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 03:25PM

What about the Neanderthals, and homo erectus they need dead dunking too

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:12AM

No, wait, that was Fred Flintstone.
Has anyone done his geneology?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.