Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:33PM

I realized this in Christian counseling today. Go ahead make fun of me. I got issues with god that need to be resolved rather it's real or fake, it is real to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 06:53PM

I’d do it. Jesus is awesome. He’s definitely not Mormon.

The fact that he’s made up makes less difference than you would think. If enough people believe in something, it takes on a life of its own.

Date: June 27, 2018 07:02PM

I feel pretty good about it, I got my issues with the Christ figure but I am trying to understand the reasoning behind the events of my life. The fact that there may be someone out there that may know my suffering and this journey I am on means something. Science alone does not understand nor care and that is just too cold for me I think. She said she would not push a religion on me or anything, she said I had been bullied enough in life which is true. Tired of people pushing stuff on me or pushing guilt on me.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:07PM

There are things, man. Things. The eye hath not seen, nor the mind conceived. Are you loved? Are you understood? I think more than you’ll ever know.

I don’t get how this Jesus can be without being, but I feel that he is. Maybe something we jinned up, but there’s something. The technology of the imagination completely eludes science.

Be this Jesus, and he will be you. It’s a resonance thing. One of the nice things about being eternal. You were never alone.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:58PM

You might be right about the love thing. Human love has done nothing to affect me but a higher love might reach me and teach me how to love for real. I feel like I have been around a long time and an older entity out there may know exactly who I am and what I used to be because I am f#cling lost down here on this planet and I think everyone else is too. I have no idea what my purpose is and why I am even here and I want to know. No more lies. I feel a connection to something out there, I am not just a brain dead person walking the stores down here. I don't know I've always been different. People act like this is their first rodeo of existence on this planet. I don't feel that way at all. I'm an ooooold soul.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:04PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel a connection to something out
> there, I am not just a brain dead person walking
> the stores down here. I don't know I've always
> been different. People act like this is their
> first rodeo of existence on this planet. I don't
> feel that way at all. I'm an ooooold soul.
------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you are ready to move up 'spiritually' which has nothing to do with man made religions.

You need to read Newton's Journey of Souls to find out about reincarnation and what your purpose may be.

You will also find out you 'planned' what you are going/have gone through so it would be a good time then to plan on what you are going to do with the rest of the 'life' you have chosen to make the most of it!

Don't rely on me or anyone else to tell you what to do ---- get on your big boy pants, study, then decide what you believe and what actions you need to take in the future.

I believe you have made some progress so good luck with what ever you decide!

Date: June 27, 2018 11:16PM

I am ready for something more that's for sure. My spirit or whatever longs for it or something. Like I have been away from a loved one for too long type of longing. I do know I have to figure this out on my own and not downplay my abilities or think that someone else has they answer when they don't. All the answers I can discover for myself.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:16PM

It's a process. Insight gained. Feelings changed. Perspective altered.

Thinking about evolution (an especially hot topic when I first came to RfM yrs ago) felt "cold" to me too. One time I said something to the effect that there was a huge boulder in the middle of my path (representing God) and I couldn't get past it (in order to even comprehend the basics of evolution). One of the old-timer great posters back then said to me: "Go around it".

I was so shocked at first - it seemed harsh (to my previously meek little self). The thought had never occurred to me. But such a simple remark and it opened things up, showing me how your viewpoint can alter.

Now I laugh. Both at my younger, much more earnest self, worrying about a rock in the road. It seemed like a real thing to me.

Nobody's saying you can't believe in God. Nobody says "recovery" should be an instantaneous transformation.

That day at a time philosophy can come in handy. Take smaller bites. It's a process that takes time, not an overnight revolution.

Usually.

Date: June 27, 2018 08:25PM

Evolution or science alone doesn't give a sh#t about you and that is just too cold and empty. Even I have emotions, i need something that understands that on some level. Maybe there is an intelligence behind the evolution that actually feels and knows you. Cause I have been around a while and humans don't understand me no matter what professional I see. They don't comprehend what I have lived through on any level,

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:28PM

https://i.red d.it/kwsqr89bak611.jpg

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:31PM

That "broken" link had a banned word in it...whatever. Just copy and paste the two parts together...it leads to a Calvin and Hobbes 4-panel comic that is on topic. Lol

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:37PM

As to the OP...

Do what works for you, pal. That's what matters most. As long as you don't foist whatever your beliefs are on others forcibly, it's a non-issue.

I will go ahead and point out to you, though, that life without belief in a "god" is far from dark or cold. And the warm, fuzzy, wonderful things in such a life are demonstrably real -- like my 3 year-old screaming "daddy!" and running to meet me when I come home. Like sitting on the warm sandy beach on a Sunday afternoon, without caring about a church or whether some "god" declared it a "holy day." And millions of other things.

You do what works for you. I'll just advise you to keep learning, keep exploring, keep experiencing. The universe is a big place.

Date: June 27, 2018 08:34PM

I don't know what I believe but I do think there is intelligence out there that knows who I am and knows all the events of my life as crazy as that sounds. I think people put god in a human box which is a mistake. I don't want to be one of those people that wander the planet not knowing why I am even alive anymore being a robot on a circular ball just being a consumer wandering stores.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:31PM

News flash: nobody knows why they're alive, other than the obvious (your parents had sex), which is more of a "how" than a "why."

You can make up "whys" if you want to, if you feel you need to. But that's what they are, made up. The list of things we don't know is far larger than the list of things we do. If you can't learn to honestly accept "I don't know," and get on with life, you're going to have to make up all sorts of stuff to artificially replace the long list of "I don't know." To me, that's an awful waste of time in a finite life :)

Date: June 27, 2018 10:06PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> News flash: nobody knows why they're alive, other
> than the obvious (your parents had sex), which is
> more of a "how" than a "why."
>
> You can make up "whys" if you want to, if you feel
> you need to. But that's what they are, made up.
> The list of things we don't know is far larger
> than the list of things we do. If you can't learn
> to honestly accept "I don't know," and get on with
> life, you're going to have to make up all sorts of
> stuff to artificially replace the long list of "I
> don't know." To me, that's an awful waste of time
> in a finite life :)

I can't just live for the sake of living. I need something more I guess. Some kind of purpose to my life besides pain and suffering. I don't want to fly blind anymore not knowing why I am here. I have got to stand for something at least once in this life. I don't want to be one of the billions of people that just wander and have no clue why. I don't know.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:32PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> As to the OP...
>
> Do what works for you, pal. That's what matters
> most. As long as you don't foist whatever your
> beliefs are on others forcibly, it's a non-issue.
>
> I will go ahead and point out to you, though, that
> life without belief in a "god" is far from dark or
> cold. And the warm, fuzzy, wonderful things in
> such a life are demonstrably real -- like my 3
> year-old screaming "daddy!" and running to meet me
> when I come home. Like sitting on the warm sandy
> beach on a Sunday afternoon, without caring about
> a church or whether some "god" declared it a "holy
> day." And millions of other things.
>
> You do what works for you. I'll just advise you
> to keep learning, keep exploring, keep
> experiencing. The universe is a big place.

But let me ask you this hie. Don't you feel like your daughter has a spirit or an essence separate from the body itself? A soul of some kind of her own? I want a daughter one day too and I want to make sure I know some things of maybe she did exist before the body. I want my mind and knowledge to be correct before I have a child.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 07:36PM

Of COURSE they would describe believing in nothing as cold and dark. What else did you expect a Christian counselor to convince you?

I personally think you might be a good fit with Christianity.

Date: June 27, 2018 08:28PM

dagny Wrote:
> Of COURSE they would describe believing in nothing
> as cold and dark. What else did you expect a
> Christian counselor to convince you?
>
> I personally think you might be a good fit with
> Christianity.

No I said it was too dark and cold and empty and I meant it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 08:29PM

I see. Thanks for the correction. I think most Christians would agree though.

Date: June 27, 2018 08:36PM

But I don't think like a christian I don't think. I hate religion and rituals. I don't know.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:22PM

Since you’re pointing out the elephant in the room, that this cold ice planet is basically an insane asylum, I find ironic that you’re seeing a therapist. But you’re taking all of this so personally. Nobody understands me either, but how could they? It’s true that nobody gives a shit about what they don’t understand. Why should they? It’s you who should give a shit about them because that’s the sane thing. You’ll never fix crazy.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:27PM

It’s not true that nobody knows what you’ve gone through or can understand you. You understand yourself just fine. The real question is why that isn’t enough.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:38PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> It’s not true that nobody knows what you’ve
> gone through or can understand you. You understand
> yourself just fine. The real question is why that
> isn’t enough.

For whatever reason I want to know someone that has been through more than me and has insane knowledge and understanding of everything. Because I do not know myself enough to make my life great. I can't make my life great on my own and I know it. The simple pleasures that please people and keeps them going does not work on me. I need something more or something else that is undiscovered in this universe. Whatever person is in my brain and body, he longs for it.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:12PM

This world is an insane asylum. I can compare. People would be shocked how similar their routine is to those in the insane asylum. Same activities, same tv watching, same eating three meals a day, same going to church on Sunday, same sport activities. People in the insane asylum lived better lives than my grandma did but I never told her.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:29PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 09:38PM

Howdy Badass! Rather than giving you religious or spiritual advice, I want to give you some practical things to consider. First, belief or no-belief in a god/spiritual path must be secondary to your own understanding of yourself as fully capable man empowered to make his own good fortunes and mistakes.

Second, be the type of man around others that’s your very best self—kind, friendly, funny, and compassionate. That’s the real Badass.

Lastly, forgive yourself freely for anything in your past that isn’t perfect.

You are among my most favorite posters here. I love you, man! Keep moving forward with your recovery.

Date: June 27, 2018 09:42PM

(how can you not love the Boner?) :)

Date: June 27, 2018 10:17PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Howdy Badass! Rather than giving you religious or
> spiritual advice, I want to give you some
> practical things to consider. First, belief or
> no-belief in a god/spiritual path must be
> secondary to your own understanding of yourself as
> fully capable man empowered to make his own good
> fortunes and mistakes.
>
> Second, be the type of man around others that’s
> your very best self—kind, friendly, funny, and
> compassionate. That’s the real Badass.
>
> Lastly, forgive yourself freely for anything in
> your past that isn’t perfect.
>
> You are among my most favorite posters here. I
> love you, man! Keep moving forward with your
> recovery.

I'm at a road block boner. I have to understand why god allowed certain events to happen in my life. It tears me up inside. I don't care how good I become I will always be bothered by this and it always comes back like some kind of weakness. I deserve an explanation for it all and some kind of meaning. I need to know the why so I can move on or something. There is conflict within and things will bother me until I get closure with the whole god thing.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:32PM

Date: June 27, 2018 10:43PM

What is that and I thought you were gone Beth. Did the harass bring you back? Haha. Yes!!

Date: June 27, 2018 10:44PM

Badass not harass dang auto-correct.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:48PM

to read what others write. I was getting wound up, and I didn't want to bring my ish here. Bad form.

There are innumerable places on the internet where I can yap about politics. RfM is the only place I've found that helps me deal with my issues with religion. I don't want to muck that up.

Read Kierkegaard.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:51PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> I have to understand why god allowed certain events to happen
> in my life. It tears me up inside. I don't care how
> good I become I will always be bothered by this
> and it always comes back like some kind of
> weakness. I deserve an explanation for it all and
> some kind of meaning. I need to know the why so I
> can move on or something. There is conflict
> within and things will bother me until I get
> closure with the whole god thing.

Okay this is going to possibly make you angry, Badass. NO ONE, MYSELF INCLUDED, CAN TELL YOU WHY SHIT HAPPENED.

Atheists can tell you everything is random and there is no purpose. Others can tell you that God did this because ... all of this is bullshit, Badass. No one really knows why bad things happen. Nothing anyone says or writes is going to answer your “why” question.

There is no answer that will quench your longing for understanding EXCEPT for the answer you ascribe to it.

But, and this is a big but, you NEVER have to treat others poorly. The abuse stops with you.

My life, to me, is like an X. I’m the mid-point. There’s all sorts of shit that happened before me, and shits going to happen after me. But, I fuckin’ refuse to be actively engaging in shitting on others in this crazy point of life.

Badass, I kind of just want to grab you and look into your eyes and tell you directly—“for fuck’s sake, man, give yourself a fucking break and stop torturing yourself with unanswerable questions!”

Man, I just wish I were enjoying a beer and good cuss with you, wanker!

Date: June 27, 2018 10:58PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Badassadam1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have to understand why god allowed certain
> events to happen
> > in my life. It tears me up inside. I don't
> care how
> > good I become I will always be bothered by this
> > and it always comes back like some kind of
> > weakness. I deserve an explanation for it all
> and
> > some kind of meaning. I need to know the why so
> I
> > can move on or something. There is conflict
> > within and things will bother me until I get
> > closure with the whole god thing.
>
> Okay this is going to possibly make you angry,
> Badass. NO ONE, MYSELF INCLUDED, CAN TELL YOU WHY
> SHIT HAPPENED.
>
> Atheists can tell you everything is random and
> there is no purpose. Others can tell you that God
> did this because ... all of this is bullshit,
> Badass. No one really knows why bad things happen.
> Nothing anyone says or writes is going to answer
> your “why” question.
>
> There is no answer that will quench your longing
> for understanding EXCEPT for the answer you
> ascribe to it.
>
> But, and this is a big but, you NEVER have to
> treat others poorly. The abuse stops with you.
>
> My life, to me, is like an X. I’m the mid-point.
> There’s all sorts of shit that happened before
> me, and shits going to happen after me. But, I
> fuckin’ refuse to be actively engaging in
> shitting on others in this crazy point of life.
>
> Badass, I kind of just want to grab you and look
> into your eyes and tell you directly—“for
> fuck’s sake, man, give yourself a fucking break
> and stop torturing yourself with unanswerable
> questions!”
>
> Man, I just wish I were enjoying a beer and good
> cuss with you, wanker!

Maybe I do need someone to look me square in the eyes to quit torchuring myself. My roommate tells me I am way too d@mn hard on myself. My mind is a torcher chamber and has been for as long as I can remember. I can't even get out of physical pain with my best efforts. Feel like a piece of dogsh#t that wants to pretend that god gave a d@mn.

Date: June 28, 2018 02:10AM

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES !!!!!!!!!!

Look in that mirror and say aloud—“Just for today, I’m going to consider myself fuckin’ awesome!” And keep saying it every day until you believe it!

Date: June 28, 2018 02:53AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES !!!!!!!!!!
>
> Look in that mirror and say aloud—“Just for
> today, I’m going to consider myself fuckin’
> awesome!” And keep saying it every day until you
> believe it!

My counselor has me saying positive sh#t to myself in the mirror. I guess it is reprogramming my brain for positivity or something.

Date: June 28, 2018 02:51AM

I am kind of afraid that I will become an abusive person as well boner. I already show signs of aggression and anger. I don't know anything else. I don't know what real love is, I have never felt it. What can I really be besides a destroyer of relationships.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:06PM

Like Joseph Campbell said, "Myth has always served as a way for different people to connect to the Cosmos, which is otherwise far too hostile, vast and mysterious for people to form a personal connection with it."

We all see the Universe through some kind of a filter, because its like looking directly into the sun, staring at it is too harsh. So we see it through a whole spectrum of world views, from completely superstitious, emotional science denier on the one end, to purely materialist, academic, scientific on the other end. I prefer the Buddhist approach, like tge Dslai Lama says, "If some scientific discovery contradicts my beliefs, I must change my beliefs, even if it was me or the Buddha who said it."
Why cant all of us say the same?
Ego.
Most people are more on the egotistical/superstitious end of the spectrum (80% of Americans believe in God) people's egoes make them believe the snake oil sales pitch, that this particular God loves us more than any "others" so much so thst their God will save them alone from death and will damn everybody else to hell.
Think about how stupid the average person is, then remember half of the people are even more stupid than tgat. Like Einstein said," only two things in this universe are infinite; human stupidity and the universe itself and not certain about the latter."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 10:13PM by koriwhore.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:23PM

We are pretty dumb just wandering around down here trying to make sense of it all. And yea I do desire a more personal or human connection with the universe or something with emotions or feelings. I feel i should be connected to it all in some way or I am connected to it all.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:33PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> We are pretty dumb just wandering around down here
> trying to make sense of it all. And yea I do
> desire a more personal or human connection with
> the universe or something with emotions or
> feelings. I feel i should be connected to it all
> in some way or I am connected to it all.
I believe in Einstein's God, only one tgat does play dice with the universe, only the duce are heavily loaded toward life instead of chaos, otherwise we wouldnt exist, and neither would anything else for that mstter. I believe "God" is the word we use to try to describe Nature, which works on a subatomic scale, like the god particle, which is more of an oceanic field responsible for creating everything.
You are swimming in it.
You are it.
You are energy slowed way down to almost zero.
M=E/c^2
We are cosmic music resonating through the 11 dimensions of hyperspace.
Slowed down long enough to matter.

https://youtu.be/0NbBjNiw4tk

Date: June 27, 2018 10:51PM

koriwhore Wrote:
> Badassadam1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We are pretty dumb just wandering around down
> here
> > trying to make sense of it all. And yea I do
> > desire a more personal or human connection with
> > the universe or something with emotions or
> > feelings. I feel i should be connected to it
> all
> > in some way or I am connected to it all.
> I believe in Einstein's God, only one tgat does
> play dice with the universe, only the duce are
> heavily loaded toward life instead of chaos,
> otherwise we wouldnt exist, and neither would
> anything else for that mstter. I believe "God" is
> the word we use to try to describe Nature, which
> works on a subatomic scale, like the god particle,
> which is more of an oceanic field responsible for
> creating everything.
> You are swimming in it.
> You are it.
> You are energy slowed way down to almost zero.
> M=E/c^2
> We are cosmic music resonating through the 11
> dimensions of hyperspace.
> Slowed down long enough to matter.
>
> https://youtu.be/0NbBjNiw4tk

Yes that type of god makes sense. People always think of a single physical form human like god but I don't think that is accurate at all. Maybe each one of us is a part of god. You know how you can connect to some people on a high level without talking? How do you explain that? We are all connected in some way.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:34PM

Get a puppy.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:52PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Get a puppy.

You sound like my mom old dog. My landlord won't allow it anyways.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:00PM

Bummer, man!

Many pet owners (who are, in fact, owned by their pets) are aware that they give themselves to their pet, and in doing so, their personality 'alters', and the world ceases to revolve only around the human and enlarges to encompass and support the pet.

There is healing in that, in giving up some of 'you' to take in some of the pet. It creates a new, and I think, nobler being, or symbiote. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is the symbiont!

But as you say, this easy out is not doable in your situation.

So go help someone learn to read. Give to someone who could use the help.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:06AM

"Symbiote?" "Symbiont?"

If I were smirkorama, I'd feel compelled to employ 17 question marks and a number of exclamation points here.

Somebody's girlfriend needs to buy him a puppy to go with the cat.

Date: June 27, 2018 10:54PM

And, make a good friend with a Dawg! (too bad I can’t give you a hug over the Internet, wanker).

Posted by: Julie Byam ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 10:57PM

People like you are why I don't like to comment on here. Just what did you contribute to her statement? Nothing, of course. Many many Mormons and Jw's and on and on think that your only there to make fun of them Well, you are. Anyone can join a Prayer and Study Group and benefit from making new friends and if you are not welcome for what you believe or ask you should get out. You do nothing but make mormon's etc. believe that all people are like you. We are not.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:09PM

Date: June 27, 2018 11:14PM

If I'm correct, Julie, your comment was directed to me. The reference to "her" kind of made me uncertain, but the way the posts line up, it seems you're responding to me.

Yes, I am here to have fun, to provoke laughter. But I do stand by the statements I make. A statement is not the same as a retort, tag line, reposte, or other pure attempts at humor.

"Get a puppy" was shorthand. I think I've expanded on the subject sufficient to be released from your doghouse.

But I do recognize that my 'humor' can be a bit hard edged at times, and a lot has to do with me never being caught in a study or prayer group, for less than three figures per hour. I have strong opinions on very, very few things, which is very liberating, when it comes to poking Fran and making Mary...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:05AM

wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 01:06AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: jb ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:18PM

Yeah, sounds about right. After the puppy thing, one feels better about trying out having a child.

One of the not so well known things in shrink circles is that by their own investigations, it was found that most people work through whatever ails them in about 2½ years. Sometimes less, sometimes a little longer. But they always get through it, and it makes no difference whether they had professional help or not.

The issue of your life's meaning is what bothered me for a very long time--until I had an OBE. An extraordinary experience similar to others you can read about at iands.org, but quite unique. My younger sister has had the same obsession. I told her that one's life takes on meaning and purpose by doing what you value the most. The rat-hole of Mormonism and religion in general is the notion that we have to have some unique purpose for being alive. All that does is cause a person to chase their tail their entire life.

Lose your life in something that means a lot to you, and by and by you will find what it means. The object is to expand your consciousness, your understanding, and your empathy.

As for the God stuff--I have not read or heard or experienced myself (the OBE) anything to resolve the God issues. You just won't get that in this world. The closest you can come to resolving it is by examining your basic assumptions in your concept of God. Like most problems we struggle with, it is the foundation of our beliefs that must bear the scrutiny. Once you do this I think you will find that your questions about "His" actions are irrelevant.

A metaphor: I have to be married in the temple. But if marriage in the temple (celestial marriage) is fake, marriage in the temple is superfluous. What then does marriage mean to me?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:06PM

I remember well the teachings that we chose the life and trials we were going to go through.

After years of hell, I started walking. I'd walk out at the middle school track and I'd talk to God. I'd cuss at him and ask him WHY ME? Why did this happen to me? Did you really want this to be my life? And the answer came, "No, I didn't want this for your life, but it is your life." Everything changed.

I don't know what I believe as far as a Gpd or Jesus, etc. I can't know anything. I believe in my parents, who died 9-1/2 years ago. I believe in my kids. They give me a reason for my life. Even my ex--I saved him, just not like the lds church told me to. He needs me still. So I have purpose. It doesn't make life perfect every day, but it is good enough for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 11:07PM by cl2.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:29PM

You have purpose and I need a real purpose. It is scary to be in pain everyday not knowing if you will ever get out of it and live a somewhat good life. Living in pain is not living at all, there is no purpose to it and it is unfair. But I think my spirit or whatever desires something better than what I have now. I don't really want to go to bars every night and try to pick up on random girls and try to form relationships that way. Maybe the Christian crowd is a good crowd I have no idea.

Date: June 28, 2018 02:37AM

You really want a purpose in life? A way out of your pain? To be part of something bigger than yourself? I’m willing to take a day to fly into Idaho. We’ll talk. Ask the admin for my e-mail.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:24PM

Try a non-denominational Christian church. I grew up in it with a friend who is now a convert to the LDS church. The biblical Jesus is not the same as the Mormon Jesus. Jesus is awesome and amazing and it is worth journeying into a non-denominational church.

Remember: you are not perfect but Jesus thinks you are to die for ;)

Date: June 27, 2018 11:33PM

helenm Wrote:
> Try a non-denominational Christian church. I grew
> up in it with a friend who is now a convert to the
> LDS church. The biblical Jesus is not the same as
> the Mormon Jesus. Jesus is awesome and amazing and
> it is worth journeying into a non-denominational
> church.
>
> Remember: you are not perfect but Jesus thinks you
> are to die for ;)

Not sure I want to do the church thing but I do want someone to love the Badass like for real. Not pretend. I want someone that knows me well, like for real. No agenda, no cutting me down, no greed, no superiority bs. I want the real Jesus that has been through some serious sh#t and knows exactly how to make me and my life better.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:25PM

First, we have the right to believe anything we want, by faith. Mystical, visionary, metaphysical claims are most often couched in a religious setting and believed by faith. Biblical accounts are very often believed as concrete and factual, whether they are or not, doesn't seem to matter.

I don't have a clue how it would be possible to believe in "nothing." I think that usually refers to agnostics and atheist and is a misconception.

Second, we can change our mind. Go ahead. Try on beliefs and see how you like them.

I've come to a point in my life that I'm satisfied with the World View I have created that makes sense to me. It includes ideas about my life and how to live it and what happens when we die. As much as possible, I rely on factual evidence or personal experiences as I collect ideas and concepts, principles that work for me. I look for a comfort level that brings me peace and joy and harmony.

I've believed several different belief systems around the God and Savior of Christianity and the Mormonism view. Typically, we like to think we are right/correct and distance ourselves from questioning.

I've found it fun question everything and to pick and choose ideas that make sense to me and are reliable. That's why you'll see me write about Universal Principles/Truths like Love One Another and the Golden Rule. Those are so standard and practical that they are found in almost every religion and are just plain old-fashioned common sense.

The Big Questions about life and death are not answered in any concrete way. Sure, we have some facts that are reliable. But the rest is up to us to choose what we want to believe that is not factual, and how much faith we want to expend in the process.

The upshot? Allow ideas, beliefs, notions, principles evolve as you live your life and observe others. Try on different ideas. Ask yourself: does this make sense? Am I comfortable with these beliefs, ideas? Go easy on yourself. Do they bring peace and harmony in my life. And, my favorite: am I enjoying my life, having fun and finding the humor.
That's how I do it. You do it your way! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2018 11:25PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: June 27, 2018 11:36PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> First, we have the right to believe anything we
> want, by faith. Mystical, visionary, metaphysical
> claims are most often couched in a religious
> setting and believed by faith. Biblical accounts
> are very often believed as concrete and factual,
> whether they are or not, doesn't seem to matter.
>
>
> I don't have a clue how it would be possible to
> believe in "nothing." I think that usually refers
> to agnostics and atheist and is a misconception.
>
> Second, we can change our mind. Go ahead. Try on
> beliefs and see how you like them.
>
> I've come to a point in my life that I'm satisfied
> with the World View I have created that makes
> sense to me. It includes ideas about my life and
> how to live it and what happens when we die. As
> much as possible, I rely on factual evidence or
> personal experiences as I collect ideas and
> concepts, principles that work for me. I look for
> a comfort level that brings me peace and joy and
> harmony.
>
> I've believed several different belief systems
> around the God and Savior of Christianity and the
> Mormonism view. Typically, we like to think we are
> right/correct and distance ourselves from
> questioning.
>
> I've found it fun question everything and to pick
> and choose ideas that make sense to me and are
> reliable. That's why you'll see me write about
> Universal Principles/Truths like Love One Another
> and the Golden Rule. Those are so standard and
> practical that they are found in almost every
> religion and are just plain old-fashioned common
> sense.
>
> The Big Questions about life and death are not
> answered in any concrete way. Sure, we have some
> facts that are reliable. But the rest is up to us
> to choose what we want to believe that is not
> factual, and how much faith we want to expend in
> the process.
>
> The upshot? Allow ideas, beliefs, notions,
> principles evolve as you live your life and
> observe others. Try on different ideas. Ask
> yourself: does this make sense? Am I comfortable
> with these beliefs, ideas? Go easy on yourself. Do
> they bring peace and harmony in my life. And, my
> favorite: am I enjoying my life, having fun and
> finding the humor.
> That's how I do it. You do it your way! :-)

That's a good method. Especially am I enjoying my life part.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.