Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:14AM

My wife makes wigs for little kids with cancer. Recently one of her co-workers asked my wife to come to her ward for a service project and make wigs etc..

Yesterday, my totally inactive for several years wife received the following email:

"In order for you to come talk to my Young Women about the wigs, my stake president needs to confirm with your bishop that you’re a good person ;) can you give me the name of your stake and your bishop’s name?"

So, I guess at least in this stake, you can't volunteer and talk to YWs unless you have a temple recommend.

Some TBMs seem oblivious as to how self righteous and rude they can be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 11:16AM by perky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:22AM

Yes, because only a bad, bad person would make wigs for children with cancer and share that artistry with others.

I'd be raging if I weren't so disgusted with whomever sent that email including an effin SMILEY FACE!

Proof positive that TSCC is a very bad place and members are sheep.

Date: June 28, 2018 03:16PM

Yeah, no shit. It makes us both feel bad. Rfm is the best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 03:17PM by perky.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:26AM

So did she tell them to go pound sand?

Date: June 28, 2018 03:10PM

Yes, she told them to take a hike. She can do the wigs herself or get me to help.

It's the kids in YW and the cancer kids that area really getting the shaft.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:30AM

I'm in the Rib Eye stake and my bishops name is Bro. Heinz....he's 57 and sometimes he acts a little saucy.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:33AM

I think I would write, "You people have a lot of nerve. You come to me, asking for charitable service, and then you have the gall to ask me to prove that I'm a good enough person to help you. Do not contact me again and don't bother to reply, because you have hereby been blocked."

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:37AM

This is a great answer

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:38AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:47AM

Yes, this. Or --

"No, I won't be doing that. Quite frankly, I find such a request to be highly insulting given that you asked *me* to participate in a charitable project in which I have expertise. You should have had better sense than to pass this absurd request along. Please do not ask me to help out with any of your church activities again."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 11:54AM by summer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:24PM

Or simply:

"Your actions demonstrate that you're not a good person. So I won't be coming."

:)

Date: June 28, 2018 03:10PM

Great reply. Thanks

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:35AM

Wow. That's pretty nervy! What does your wife think about this?

Date: June 28, 2018 03:13PM

She is pissed x 10 and she bailed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 03:14PM by perky.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 05:08PM

Good for her! Mormons: shooting themselves in the foot since 1830.

Date: June 28, 2018 11:37AM

They should ask me because I deem your wife a a wonderful person to do this valuable work for young cancer patients. She's too good to be treated in this insulting way.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:45AM

Too many TBM's think that "service" means weird handshakes and chants.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )

In order for me to come talk to your Young Women about the wigs, my wig making group needs to confirm with law enforcement that you’re a good person ;) can you give me your name, birth date and social security number so I can run a background check on you?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 03:16AM

. . . Bank account number . . . Mother's maiden name . . .

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 03:19AM

Hi, I'd like to ask you a HUGE favor, a favor where you come and
give us your time and expertise with no thought of being paid for
it in any way. But first I have to determine if you are good
enough to do me this favor.

Where else but Mormonism would such a thing be even considered?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )

I understand the church's position...

They can't be showing their young people that non-practicing mormons can lead productive, useful and even exemplary lives. They are trying to teach their youth that one must be TBM to have any worth as a the right kind of human.

Posted by: 2 early 2 log in ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 11:50AM

"We want you to do us a big favor, but only on our terms."

Unacceptable on any planet except Kolob Prime.

Date: June 28, 2018 03:12PM

ha ha

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:27PM

This is so common with Mormons. They go out of their way to indirectly inflict pain on others. They believe it is their duty to rebuke others because Heavenly Father is a "just" God that won't look away for the slightest imperfection-sin.

Several times my wife has tried to remain FB buddies with some of the allegedly "nicer" sisters of the ward. It always ends the same way; Sister Goop has no choice but to block or unfriend them. They don't play nice, if ever.

One of her last debacles, involved a sister in-boxing [private messaging] my wife about content on her own page. The TBM wrote something like "I know that you haven't active with church, but the Spirit has prompted me to talk to you because HF loves you so much. Well, some of your posts are offensive and it hurts me that you should know better as a daughter-of-God. You should remove those pictures from the restaurant where it is obvious that you have been drinking coffee. I am saddened that you have left the church when the prophet has given us such great wisdom through his counsel (WoW). I really hope that the spirit has touched you so you will come back to church."

Sister Goop wrote back "I'm sorry that you're offended, but I offer no apologies. I was mistaken to think that we could maintain a cordial friendship that didn't revolve around the church and its beliefs. I have no intention of removing my photos from that day. Those are some of the last photos from my late relatives. While you only see coffee mugs, I see my aunt and uncle enjoying themselves. I find it sad that you choose to judge my character over a cup of coffee that I occasionally partake.

One more thing, before I unfriend you. I was going to hold my tongue, but you are a hypocrite for proclaiming that you are a member in good standing. You regularly post photos of yourself on fb while wearing tank-tops and daisy-duke shorts. Hasn't your so-called prophet told you to be modest and wear your temple issued garments?

Good bye and good riddance!"

Date: June 28, 2018 12:51PM

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:43PM

Mrs. Goop is awesome! Perfect response.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 04:56PM

Yes, Mrs Goop rocks!

This hypocrisy underscores the real issue. It's not that your wife drinks coffee. It's that she doesn't PRETEND to drink the koolaide. It's ok to drink coffee (or dress "immodestly") as long as you PRETEND to drink the koolaide.

Date: June 28, 2018 05:00PM

Wrong spot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2018 05:00PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:52PM

The nerve. I bet none of the kids with cancer asked who her bishop or SP was. I can only see those questions as relevant if the activity is a demonstration on how to ingest bulls***. There the bishop has some expertise.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:37PM

Now I've heard it all! Send that snoopy asshat s###head bishop ALL the above suggested responses. Every bit of them should be included.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 01:45PM

I love opportunities to tell someone to "go piss up a rope". Seems like this is a good one! :-)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:18PM

My response would be something along the lines of “Kindly fuck off.”

Date: June 28, 2018 05:01PM

Glad she told them to take a hike. In addition to the above good suggestions, she could have told them: "I was a little reluctant to join forces with a creepy religious cult, but thought that for the good of the sick children I could temporarily set aside my differences. It's too bad you can't do the same."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 07:30PM

^^^^
This! LOL!

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:28PM

Well said and 100% true.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 09:44PM

Send a cc of the email to your local newspaper.

Posted by: Emperor-Librarian ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 09:53AM

The fact that she was insulted by the question will be used in their minds as proof that though she looks like a good person to the world, deep down she holds resentment towards God and is therefore a bad person.

Date: June 30, 2018 06:24AM

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 10:06AM

Send an email back, "Given the reputation of the Mormon Church, could you please supply documents you are a worthy church." Feel free to add specific examples of the founder marrying 14 year old girls, not allowing children of gay parents to be baptized, non disclosing the finances, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.