Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TigerTom1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 01:34AM

About as bad prepare as it gets for them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44644130

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 05:45AM

This is exactly the kind of reporting that Mormons hate. It's
true, accurate and it gets right to the point.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 12:01PM

N O B O D Y Interviewed a child of mine unless I was present ...

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:03PM

I have never taken my kids to church. I stopped going because I had my first child and did not want them to go through what I did. The tithing money, free time and no more stupid meetings were all icing on the cake.
I can't believe I waited so long... screw the TSCC and their blatant lies!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 08:58AM

"Current and former members of the Mormon Church are calling for an end to the practice of asking children as young as eight intimate and sexual questions during annual interviews by church officials."

Good. The more light that is brought to this situation, the better.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 09:12AM

I guess this trashes the old adage:
"There's no such thing as bad press, as long as they spell your name right!"

:)

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 09:18AM

This is good news. Revelation occurs after bad publicity. This practice of interviewing children and teenagers needs to stop. The damage of this current policy is incalculable.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 10:24AM

In the article, a Mr Blomfield from Bedford....didn't like the interviews as a young person yet he is still active and won't allow his own kids to be interviewed without advance notice or his own presence.

WHY IS THIS GUY STILL A MORMON?

He states the interviews have been around since the beginning of the religion - and should not be.

Guy, how about finding a religion that is a better fit? There are dozens of other choices out there in the world.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 10:30AM

Fascinated in the Midwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guy, how about finding a religion that is a better
> fit? There are dozens of other choices out there
> in the world.

...or getting out of religion entirely? Also an option, arguably "better" :)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 04:16PM

I suspect he is on the way out.

It takes different amounts of time for different people to leave Mormonism. He's made it some way, and the logic of the situation will probably gradually erode what's left of his commitment. That he's gone public will likely accelerate his departure because the church will be less hospitable.

Give him time.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 10:34AM

This is great news. Like yesterday, and this is 40 years ago, feeling so guilt ridden as a young man due to, not only the worthiness interviews, but the constant arronic priesthood lessions where they would pound into our head how evil masturbation is, how he "that looketh upon a woman hath committed adultery in his heart." I remember going to my leader, who was a doctor, and saying, "so I looked a playboy last week does that make me an adulterer." He said, and I will never forget, "well yes, you committed adultery in your heart, and you should talk to the Bishop." As a 14 year old I said, "but I am not married, how can I commit adultery." I stumped him.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 12:36PM

When my daughter was about 13 or 14, a newly-called bishop brought my daughter and two of her friends into his office to talk about morality. I remember that he told one of them that her skirt was too short and that that invited temptation. This was all unknown to me or my husband. I was teaching in the nursery at the time. I can't remember where my husband was.

One of the mothers was furious. I was flabbergasted and appalled. My husband said he'd take care of it, but to my knowledge, he never did. He was playing the priesthood game, and it caused us to separate and later divorce.

Long story, short...this bishop only remained in office for two years, because news surfaced that he'd molested young boys. It was all very hush, hush. Nobody could find out anything from TSCC leadership, and worse, no one was ever warned by TSCC leadership.

These bishops aren't vetted by anything other than "a good feeling when the stake presidency prayed about it in the temple."

The first time I was asked about masturbation, I responded by saying, "I really don't know what that is." (I actually didn't know.) I remember the bishop's face turning red without explaining (thank goodness) and moving to the next question. As a female, I would have to honestly say that I've been systematically shamed since I started growing boobs for things over which I had no control or for perfectly normal, healthy behavior.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 08:22PM

ok Yay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm doing my happy dance right now.

This is such good news... I'm hoping its only a matter of time

that the church will end up meeting in an old store in Angola

Tennessee and people will be pointing and laughing at their

tremendous fall from grace. This is a good day.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 11:59PM

I remember as a youth in the 80s feeling guilty. There was a lot I didn't feel guilty about, but at a few points I felt guilty about what I was doing...either alone or with a girlfriend in my early teenager years. Things that were normal and didn't involve intercourse, but wow they did a number on me.

I'm convinced it's all because they want to pressure to marry young (I did). Even the local leaders don't realize this, I don't think, but it's the effect from the top with the emphasis on these "bad" things. I think there are a few bad leaders that get off on hearing the details, yes, but most are just convinced it's all bad and need to root it out.

So glad my guilt didn't last long and didn't affect the rest of my life. I'm sure it did for many others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.