Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 05:44AM

Going through old papers, my husband read my mother's obituary from a few years ago. He noticed that it announced the count of her grandchildren as six more than the exmo siblings had been told.

It was easy to add up TBM sister's 12 kids, my two, my younger sister's two, youngest brother's two, next youngest brother's three and TBM plyg brother's nine known kids. We knew he claimed one other child from a polygamist wife who ran away. Still, that did not account for six more grandchildren mentioned in the obituary.

My older TBM plyg brother claimed he had had only two wives and he returned to mainstream mormonism saying he was married to only one woman. Apparently, he lied about his six unexplained children and their mother/mothers.

I guess I didn't feel up to reading my mother's obit until now. What a screwed up family. It's amazing that we exmos turned out so well. We are all brave and gutsy.

This is someone who calls and thinks he has power and authority over me and my other exmo siblings. What a weasel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:35AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> This is someone who calls and thinks he has power
> and authority over me and my other exmo siblings.
> What a weasel.

What a piece of work your brother is. He makes my siblings, at least one of whom has a few screws loose, seem almost high-functioning by comparison.

Regarding those of you in the family who turned out well, is it a case of that which does not kill you sometimes making you stronger?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:46AM

What a piece of work!!! I can't imagine having anyone in my family as a polygamist. What a life you've led! I keep forgetting to go buy your book. I need the book even if I can read it on line.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 08:37AM

Polygamy is one of the worst legacies of Mormonism, and one for which the church has never taken full responsibility. It wasn't enough that the church ended the practice. The church could have used its power and influence to go after polygamy through legislative and legal channels, as Texas did, and as the Feds did.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:22AM

Amazing how Mormon polygamy continues to mess up families.
It's still going on, as we know. Sometimes they are prosecuted. Remember Blackmore?

It's not a new idea, of course. Many places in the world practice it and have for hundreds of years. We've seen how it's a choice more recently in the US of people who are not practicing it for religious reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 01:22AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:18AM

No, it was not authorized by God, either in athe Old Testament or in JS's early LDS church.
It's not culture specific, and should be recognized as valid in other national or tribal groups.
It's not something to be condoned or legalized if "practiced among mature, consenting adults." This is a bastardization of sexual liberalism.

It is an evil monstrosity, whether it was spawned by religion or ethnic/tribal/national group.

Nor do occasional showcase models of "loving, functional" polygamous families validate it or show that it "can work if done in an enlightened way." Hrumph!! People in polygamus groups can be intimidated, manipulated, or brainwashed to portray positive PR images, just as Antebellum Southerners tried to present "happy slaves" as models to justify chattel slavery.

Polygamy is evil, oppressive, and creates dysfunctional people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.