Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 12:33PM

I needed to go to Wyoming yesterday. Driving home via I-80, I noticed all the pioneer hand carts and porta-potties—rows and rows of them. Apparently, in the olden days, there weren’t porta-potties, so early trek recreations didn’t have them. However, now that thousands participate in Trek, modern sanitation is a must!

I’m told a number of years ago, a live turkey was killed, dressed, and eaten. But, alas, Trek now has prepared meals.

Ah Trek! What a powerful way to mythologize a part of Mormon history. Testimony meetings galore! Sanitized outhouses and church history, and a sense of we are the chosen youth.

The Wyoming Cowboy’s Boner

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 02:10PM

Put-lipstick-on-a-pig-anyone?-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 03:32PM

Why don't they start as far East as Nebraska or Iowa Where the handcart trails really began? Would add an air of authenticity!

In 24 years of migration (during which handcarts were used for just four years, I read), just a tenth of immigrant Mormons arrived in Salt Lake City this difficult way.

So sad to see the gravestones of those who were buried along the way. Yes, markers are out there.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 04:23PM

Recreating history like it never was.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 04:38PM

Doggone it...Probably explained by me being a nevermo, but I got all excited that new Star Trek stuff might be coming.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:33PM

It would probably be safer to send those kids on a SpaceX rocket than to have them do the handcart nonsense.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 05:55PM

I been on a few trek reenactments and have fond memories. There is one funny memory I will never forget.

I was standing next to a row of porta-potties with a few other leaders when a girl comes out of one of the porta-potties complaining that the soap won't lather. We didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't soap, it was the deoderorizer cake, and that wasn't a sink it was in, it was a urinal. Oh boy was it hard to keep a straight face.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:35AM

OMG. That's too funny. :)

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:29PM

Yeah - romanticizing an extremely brutal and dangerous period of Mormon history. Romanticizing helps whitewash and inoculate the youth to the truth of the horrors of the Mormon Trail.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:29PM

Don't laugh too much at this simpleton, but what is the Trek really supposed to accomplish?

I haven't the slightest idea of how this is supposed to "galvanize" the youth or motivate them to be excited about church history.

Some 25 years ago, I served a mission and never heard a single word about a "Trek". I heard some amusing stories about scouting, the misery of early morning seminary and the drudgery of Saturday service projects.

Looking back, maybe the pricks and a-holes that served as my zone leaders were Trekkers, but I was not worthy enough to see their Trek-imonies.

Date: June 30, 2018 01:50AM

I don’t think Trek was around 25+ years ago. My wife participated with one of the first Trek experiences. She went to DI and bought Pioneer-style clothing. The only thing modern was the footwear. She asked me if I wanted to go. I replied, no—it’s not my heritage.

Most of her down time was spent in quiet contemplation. And yes, there was the turkey incident—she gagged. Many of the first participants were adults. If memory serves correctly, Trek was organized, then, by a BYU entity.

The purpose is enculturation. IMO, Mormonism thrives on its persecution complex. So, participant both are made to feel sacrifice and persecution. Of course, the experience is mythologized so the “correct” history is recounted.

A couple of years after my wife did Trek, the wards and stakes started doing it. Now, I think it’s pretty much a church program. Best wishes!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 10:04AM

My Mormon ancestors didn't trek....they sailed from New York to San Francisco.

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:31PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 06:55PM

Yeah bro....treking woulda sucked without porta-potties and bottled water stands.....

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 07:27PM

Shouldn't they be doing it in the dead of winter?

Bunch of sissies.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 07:31PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shouldn't they be doing it in the dead of winter?
>
Can you say "Donner...party of 50?...errr, 49..."

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 29, 2018 10:21PM

I thought you were talking about star trek and I got a little excited.

Date: June 29, 2018 10:59PM

Remembering my green flannel trekker bandolier given to me back when I had no idea it was really in commemoration of saintly popsicles.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:18AM

When will LD$ Inc. reenact MMM ?

Date: June 30, 2018 01:52AM

About the same time they make an apology.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:49PM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:38AM

I wondered why the menstruating girls weren't allowed to use tampons or sanitary napkins on trek, but had to use cloth, like in olden times, and wash them out every night. I felt like this was akin to voyeurism. The men made the rules, after all. Girls and guys weren't allowed to used deodorant or tooth paste either. Young Men and Young Women were assigned to be "husband and wife" to each other, too. Some adult leaders must have gotten their perverted jollies from all this.

I wonder if those rules have changed.

The leaders and the kids loved it whenever someone cried or broke down--especially during the campfire testimony fests.

I don't understand why Mormons think it's necessary to break someone's spirit, in the first place? How does this help in any way? I suppose it helps the brainwashing process. Perhaps it's like "breaking" a horse into obedience. Any way you look at it, trek is weird and sick, just like the temple rituals for the dead, just like polygamy, just like the cult as a whole.

Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:53AM

Wait...WHAT? That really happened?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 09:37AM

It wasn't only the Mormons who pioneered.

Maybe they're the few left who commemorate it.

Who else has Pioneer Day besides them?

Date: June 30, 2018 10:26AM

Well ya know Ron your ancestors must have been more valiant in the pre-existence.

:o)

Date: June 30, 2018 11:44AM

Shumms, that IS funny!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.