Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 11:32AM

I seem to get people (especially on Youtube) wanting to "reclaim" me for another religion. I had this random guy post on one of my rant videos (about an MLM I joined and left), practically passive-agressivly telling me I NEED to go and check out these (stolen) videos on Muslim Islam because I would be foolish otherwise not to look at them and joined.

He thought he was helping, when in reality it was taking time out of my day and leaving me perturbed.

I wish people will stop trying to convert other right after they leave. It's not liie people leave to join another religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 11:54AM

It has been my suggestion to newbies to take a year or two off religion completely (if family circumstances allow) after leaving Mormonism. Clear the head and learn new hobbies, spend more time with family, read on a wide variety of topics etc. If there is still an interest in joining a religious group, it will be done more rationally.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 12:30PM

People are often most vulnerable just after a major "life-changing" event. And that's when they're ripe for the picking.

Leaving a religion is certainly a major life-changing event.
So the vultures circle...

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 04:14PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People are often most vulnerable just after a
> major "life-changing" event. And that's when
> they're ripe for the picking.
>
> Leaving a religion is certainly a major
> life-changing event.
> So the vultures circle...

This is something my TBM father used to always bring up when we as a family were trying to think of someone to give a BOM to. Life changing events like marriage, moving, death in the family. I always felt that the death one really showed a lack of taste and respect for those going through such a painful period in their life.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 01:54PM

I wouldn't pay any attention to what random people say on YouTube. And I agree with Eric as well.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 01:59PM

No one has a right to impose it on others. They should not even discuss it unless all parties agree.

"You need to believe in God and submit to my religious beliefs."

"No. My religious opinions are not open for discussion. How is your wife and kiddies? Do they still take piano lessons?"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 04:05PM

We frequently see advice given here to not throw the baby out with the bath water, the baby apparently being Baby Jesus. That seems like at least an attempt to re-convert.

Most recipients seem to politely ignore the advice, which I think is a pretty good solution. Some do go back to traditional Christianity, though I don't know if baby-bath water metaphors have anything to do with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 04:06PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 06:03PM

That is exactly the same metaphor my mom has given me many times. I plan to use a good comeback like "I didn't want the baby anyway."

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 09:04PM

I've used: "The baby was stillborn: give it a proper burial and move on."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 04:10PM

I was working at Thiokol and one of the other secretaries had left mormonism for some other religion. She asked me if I'd be interested in going out with a "friend" of her's and I said I would, although I hated blind dates. The day before the date, she came to tell me that I was not allowed to discuss mormonism on the date. That caught me off guard as I've never been a missionary for the mormon church even if they wanted everyone to be. I told her then the guy I was going with was also not allowed to talk about their religion.

They canceled the date.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 09:09PM

What you answered was completely appropriate.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 05, 2018 07:36PM

True friends do a lot of listening in support of a person going through a major life event. Mormons think they have an answer for everything, so they’re quick to give advice. Wrong! Listen, be supportive, and offer the person help in finding professional resources.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 02:43AM

Quick advice usually never works. There are no quick solutions or quick fixes to pretty much anything.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 08, 2018 12:37AM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quick advice usually never works. There are no
> quick solutions or quick fixes to pretty much
> anything.

This is profound, Adam.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 06, 2018 10:15PM

Well, you have to admit, stupid utterly miserable Islam is an apt replacement for stupid Utterly miserable MORmONISM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 06, 2018 11:55PM

I'm going to convert you to Pastafarianism.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 08:37PM

Might I suggest Frisbeetarianism?

Frisbeetarianism believes that when you die your soul starts to
go up to Heaven but gets stuck on the roof.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.