Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mo larkey ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:08PM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12499894

KSL turned of their comments section just in time...

have to see what the SL trib comments say..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mo larkey ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:20PM

no comments?

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 10:21AM

They turned off the comments last week for all their stories. It didn't have anything to do with this specific story.

Posted by: free@last ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 01:20AM

it's wierd how god keeps calling child molesters into callings w/ children like seminary & scouts etc...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 01:44AM

the Horndog originally modeled?

I mean c'mon, it's not like there isn't already a precedent for this. (Pretty disgusting, too.)

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 10:29AM

The Deseret News article says, "Pratt was taken into custody immediately after the hearing, leaving his wife alone to care for their four young children — the youngest just 2 months old."

If I'm reading this correctly and they're referring to the hearing that took place yesterday, this man has a baby that would have been conceived AFTER he was accused of his crimes. This all came out in July 2009 and it sounds like the baby was born in July 2010. I can't imagine how a woman could forgive her husband so quickly for seducing a teenager like he did. She must have really been caught up in his lies and charms, too.

BTW, I tried to point this out on the Deseret News comments section yesterday, and it was never even posted. I guess they saw it as a personal attack or off topic? All I did was point out the timeline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 10:30AM by emadee.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 10:57AM

Deleted. I'm a nub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 10:58AM by silhouette.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 11:13AM

I'm glad he'll be behind bars. And I'm happy that despite the guilty plea, he'll end up in state prison rather than just in county jail for brief period and then probation. I hope that by the time his case reaches the parole board, they're appropriately severe.

My hometown was reeling a few years back from the case of a man who had sexually abused his daughters for years. The man and his wife were long-time friends of my parents from college days. My sisters were friends of their girls and creepiest of all, even slept over in that house. Thankfully, nothing ever happened. The judge in his case sentenced him to 10 years.

For those who care to see it, here is the Trib's very brief coverage:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50319781-76/pratt-victim-woman-seminary.html.csp

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 11:53AM

*smirk*

What's all the fuss?

Pratt is just channeling his idol Joseph Smith. The age gap between Pratt and the girl is very similar to Smith's and his teen-brides. I don't get why a good LDS mom won't let a man called by their Mormon God choose to, er, "celestial marriage" their daughter.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 04:52PM

I asked my tbm ddh (damn dear husband) about this very thing. He said he would be honored to have his 15 year old daughter marry a prophet. We have 7 daughters. Scarry and disgusting.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:50PM

would want his kids married off to some 80 year old. Clearly not one who has his daughters best interests at heart.

I sure hope he meant, marry a young man who would eventually be prophet, b/c the other is just Disgusting.

Posted by: Yewt102 ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 05:02PM

Brother Pratt was at Orem High School when I attended there. Everyone loved him like he was the coolest thing to ever walk the earth.

I had him as a seminary teacher for one day... then transfered out. There was something about him that just gave me the nastiest vibe... turned out I was right.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:30PM

He was 38 years old, the same age as Joseph Smith, when Joseph married the 14 year olds. This guy was still open, he should just married the young girls, the church when of approve of that.

Posted by: govinda ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:54PM

I've always felt in my heart that seminary teachers tend to be creepy.

Just sayin.'

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:11PM

The bastard deserved more.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 12:52AM

Guess unfortunately this behavior is everywhere....across the spectrum...how disgusting.

stormy

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 02:45AM

He picked a kid he knew was in a vulnerable position. He groomed her extensively. The replies from "the community" were in his favor, very few could see him for the predator he is. So much emphasis was put on his wife, his kids, his life - there was very little compassion for the girl. Sad. I hope she is doing better now and able to get OUT of zion and move on with her life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.