Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 04:20AM

This was many years ago. He is now on a senior mission. I can tell from his posts that he is still a True Believer. I am so disappointed; I had hoped that he would be one of the many Mormons of all ages who have walked out.

I decided not to make contact.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FNQ sparky ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 05:36AM

How does one look up ex missionaries?
I would like to lookup a missionary that was in Australia in the mid 1980's
He called at my house by himself ( odd),just before he returned to the USA.
He was somewhat distressed according to the person that answered the door.
I wonder to this day what happened to him.

Date: July 07, 2018 07:48AM

I found my missionary on Facebook. He looked the same, only a lot older. Wore a missionary badge in pic, announced his senior mission. Very religious and pro-Mormon in his posts. No way do I want to make contact and say I have left the church. I want to forget my Mormon past (except to get over it by talking about it here), and I don't want to connect with anyone who might try to "rescue" me back in.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 11:20AM

He isn't likely to change his mind at this point and there's no need to upset him.

Posted by: Politic ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 06:08AM

Contacted mine 40 years later.

He was unable to answer any of our questions.

Watched him on a recent video and he had morphed from a sweet talking missionary. (His missionary nickname was 'Golden Throat' into property developer who sounded like a member of the Mob.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 10:28AM

I would like to look up a girl I baptized as a missionary over 40 years ago. She was a "Donnie Osmond" convert, and I have always hoped she was able to get out of the church. I tried to find her on the church website, but without more information I was out of luck.

Posted by: britintexas ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 10:40AM

I have stayed in touch with my "missionary" who baptized me in England in 74. He has come to several events in my life. In 2011 I told him I was leaving the church, didn't know how he would accept this. He then told me he had left years earlier and I was the last of his converts to leave ....he felt relieved and we are now happy ex mo's still in touch.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 12:29PM

This is a beautiful story!

Date: July 07, 2018 06:01PM

I was baptized in '74, too. I was so hoping to learn that he was one of the many who had found out the truth and left. But no, he is as devout as ever, if not more so. Such a letdown, as I have been hearing many stories about returned missionaries from years ago who have left. He's not a Utah Mormon, so I was really hoping. I guess it's unrealistic to hope that everybody has left.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 07:26PM

Similar experience with the mish who baptized me. We visited him and his wife years ago while on vacation. I was kind of nervous about telling him that I had left the church. He broke into a huge grin, said, "ME TOO!! Want to have a glass of wine to celebrate?" So we drank a toast to being out of the church.

Unfortunately, he and his wife have become rather Evangelic types. From one toxic religion to another. They invited us to their church, and we attended, but I was not impressed.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 11:52AM

I looked up the guy who converted me, he was dead. (After I joined the church and left for BYU, he stopped returning letters etc.) Some interesting things about him appeared on his genealogy.

He once told me how his temple marriage was the most important thing in his life. He divorced his wife after 25 years of marriage. Five DAYS after his divorce, he married a non-member woman 30 years his junior. Apparently, It came out after I had left for the Y, he was having affairs with his students. So much for the sanctity of temple marriage!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 07:07AM

What a pig.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 08:05PM

At the age of eight my family moved next door to Bishop Samuel M. Davis, and his wife, Marva. They were the example that I was following when I joined the church. Genuinely good people who never wavered from their devotion to the church. Sam died near the beginning of this century and according to her obituary, Marva Davis died in April of this year. They were excellent examples of how humans can be good and do good.

But it didn't matter how good they or the others I knew in the church of my youth are or were, the church is man-made and a total crock.

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 11:12PM

I found the missionary that taught and baptized me on Facebook...he's still in West Virginia...and had a Bud Light in his hand :-D

Posted by: A Local NLI ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 11:43PM

I did a Google search using the full name plus Utah. This worked for 2 of the 4 Utah missionaries responsible for my family's conversion. Not clear if they are still active and TBM but since they both live in the same town or city where they were born, give or take 70 years ago, it's a good bet they are.

The non-Utah ex missionary came up instantly on a search. He's clearly exmo.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 08:34AM

I keep in contact with my MP. He knows I have left the church. Although he expressed his disappointment/concern several years ago he doesn’t bring up the issue in our e-communications.

I have kept in contact with some missionary companions...some who are TBM and others who have left.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 10:11PM

Six years after my mission was over, I visited a friend out of state and it just so happened that my MP lived in his ward and I bumped in to him in my friend's ward sacrament meeting. I was going through some personal crisis at the time that I have written about here and which eventually led to my resignation. But at the time, I asked my former MP for a few minutes of his time to meet with me after the sacrament meeting. I had a fierce mis-trust of church leaders at the time and even though my MP was no longer my priesthood leader, I still trusted him for some reason and told him what I was going through and asked for his advice. His willingness to listen and do what he could to try to help, helped me a bit as I was in the process of closing doors on my life as a mormon. I didn't tell him I was going to resign my membership. But if he found out, he would know why. I still resigned a few years later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.