Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 01:15PM

Actually the title is Methodology and Application of Indoctrination and Mind control in Theological Cults

It is important that the new members believe that they were led to the cult or that the cult was led to them. This is an important part of the methodology of acquiring new members. In many instances elaborate television productions which have been heavily advertised are used to reach the mark/prospective member.
Deity of some sort must be credited for the "awakening" of the new member.
It is a common practice for a cult seeking new members to tell the mark that the god of the cult has caused the great awakening in the soul of the prospect.
Members must learn of the cult by "grace" not by reasoning or conscious process.
Cults try to avoid the member taking credit for discovering the cult by their own initiative because members should be separated from their sense of self determination in order to be fully indoctrinated.
Join because you feel good about it not because it makes sense.
For this reason many of the sales people (missionaries or preachers) who make contact with prospective customers (members) will advocate group prayer, many times in a kneeling position, as a method of initiating mind control techniques.
The prospect is sucked in to subordinate positioning by being grouped with the sales person (missionaries or preachers) and introduced to carefully constructed chants or prayers if you will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 03:19PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 01:38PM

Cults use fear to control and in some cases, isolation. Brigham Young was a perfect example of this.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 01:47PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...many times in a kneeling position,
> as a method of initiating mind control techniques.
>

That is very interesting, Desertrat1. My husband has always questioned the *kneeling* thing.

Mind control, yes. I think that you are really onto something.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 02:49PM

Good start to show the under-the-radar ways the mormons and cults in general induce the "mark" to cede control to the "group." Your point on kneeling is particularly illuminating.

What a giant red flag it is when a person is expected to get all their information/truth from only one single source---the Mormon church in this case--to the point where the Mormon position on any topic automatically trumps any provable fact to the contrary. This is the hallmark of mind control.

For me the ultimate proof of all of this is my own family who ofter remark how they are not controlled by the Mormon church and are only doing what they feel is right. Of course, by some strange coincidence, what they feel is right is to do exactly as the church says. At this stage, the brainwashing is complete. The indoctrinated are adamant that they are not brainwashed at all--proudly obeying as they claim their own agency.

Posted by: New here ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 02:49PM

Thanks for sharing your paper. I hope you meant that you want feedback! Well I was in cult in Scottsdale Arizona. This however, like many, was not a religious cult. From what you shared from your paper I would recommend you choose to ( or not), write it as a paper about Religious cults, because although some if the brain washing tools are similar, the Diety theories don't apply to non religious cults. That would also narrow your options
which can lead to a more specific paper. Thanks.

Thanks

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 03:37PM

I would try to use “God” as an example of confirmation bias.

All of this doesn’t preclude that some people actually should join the church. Maybe for them the thought control and manipulation is better than the alternative. Manipulative people might belong in a manipulative church because it matches how they think.

The hallmark of a cult is how you are treated when you leave. If you don’t lose all your church friends and aren’t shunned, it’s a religion. Cults treat apostasy as something really bad. And possibly contagious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.