Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 01:47PM

The Mormon / LDS Attitude-

My opinion is that Actions follow our Attitudes.
Attitudes are or include feelings, opinions. Also in our inventory of decision / action rules are what we perceive as Facts.

I’ve never been to Paris France (or, Paris Idaho), but I understand from other information that those places exist? Yes I do. If I visit (those) places, my faith/belief will change to an incontrovertible ‘fact’.

On this board, we seem to ‘talk around’ the Mormon lds attitude, sometimes we directly mention it, sometimes rather obliquely…

Contributing to Mormon Attitudes (MHO):

They readily accept what leaders tell them as Facts. Some More, some Less.

If you attempt to tell LDS that what leaders say or write isn’t always or even mostly first-hand information, they balk.

They’ve been taught that the Prophet & apostles are a direct conduit between God & humans… Adulation for & compliance to leaders are 100% requirements of LDS life.

Mormons almost universally believe that they’re Better than people who Don’t:

- Show skin that should be covered by garments, even when sleeping with spouse!
This negates or eliminates intimacy between partners, puts the church (teachings) more important than intimacy. Simply Awful, IMHO.

- Shop on Sundays, plus lots of other trivial issues

- Use alcohol, drugs, tobacco

- Question leaders (capital punishment for those who do!)
To sum up, many of us believe that the typical Mormon attitude tends to be arrogant, sometimes obnoxiously so.

Other attitudinal attributes common to TBMs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: c ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 06:29PM

Great post! I agree that TBM do have this certain attitude/approach. In my experience, my extended family (who are all active in the church) will bring up something LDS related at a family reunion almost every single time. Does this happen to anyone else? For example, it could be a conversation about some experience that happened to be positive and then boom "THE CHURCH IS TRUE GUYS" like... no. sorry to break your bubble, but it's not.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 10:54AM

Yes! I get so tired of conversations going back to the LDS church.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 08:19PM

Tunnel vision, as though they're wearing blinders. That contributes to Mormon arrogance, because if you don't fit within their neatly held views, they can't and won't see you.

In a way it works to an advantage, because it helps to keep a safe distance and therefore detachment from all things Mormony.

I will say not abusing drugs, using tobacco or alcohol does contribute to a healthier lifestyle. So it doesn't make a person better than someone who does these things by not doing them. It just helps them live a more healthy, robust lifestyle.

I've learned recently that alcohol causes cancer, from my oncology doctors who go over checklists with me of dos and don'ts. I honestly did not know that before. Tobacco is a no brainer, but alcohol too? I rarely imbibe. Now it's one more reason for me not to.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 02:22AM

That’s the first thing I noticed. It’s like I had been wearing blinders all that time.

Mormons seem nice at first. Then the culty comes out. Maybe I was like that, weirding people out. I totally believed all of it. Had my year of food storage waiting for God to lay on the whoopass.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 02:46PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Mormon / LDS Attitude-
>
> My opinion is that Actions follow our Attitudes.
> Attitudes are or include feelings, opinions. Also
> in our inventory of decision / action rules are
> what we perceive as Facts.
>
> I’ve never been to Paris France (or, Paris
> Idaho), but I understand from other information
> that those places exist? Yes I do. If I visit
> (those) places, my faith/belief will change to an
> incontrovertible ‘fact’.

The existence of those places is an incontrovertible fact regardless of what you do.

The reality / "fact" of those places being in existence exists completely independent of your actions or beliefs. Truth is completely independent. Truth is where you find it ....and where you do NOT find it, because it just is, it exits regardless of what you or anyone else does or thinks post facto.

IF you personally visited those places then their existence would become first hand personal knowledge. Their existence is a fact regardless of what you do, or not.

MORmONS get in trouble when they start up declaring that they "know" that the Book of MORmON is "true" as in accurate /veritable based on certain feelings that they have had, just as they have been instructed to have those feelings by their foul noxious leaders.

Then MORmONS want to feel superior to others that A, Generally Reject the errant MORmON Burning Bosom feelings based methodology of supposedly determining truth post facto. B. Condemn others who are not capable of gaining a personal testimony of the Book of MORmON.

MORmONS insist that their MORmON "good feelings" way of determining truth is just as valid as scientific method.

It is NOT !!!

MORmONS should be forced to use bridges and elevators and ships and buildings that are designed with pure feelings based fact determining engineering. MORmONS should be forced to rely on the faulty / false equivalency of fact determining where feelings equal actual validation that they so emphatically endorse.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 10:57PM

I got into a discussion with my TBM cousin....and eventually laughed while telling her, "You Mormons think that you're the only truly happy people....that if someone doesn't have 'the gospel,' they aren't really happy."

She denied it. "No, that's not what we believe!"

Yeah, right. She couldn't even admit it.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 12:32PM

While I haven't been to Paris, France - have been to Paris, Idaho. It's a charming little town, and the county seat for Bear County. The Oregon Pioneer Trail runs through it aka part of Hwy 89.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 12:34PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: lurkeratthreshold ( )
Date: July 13, 2018 10:06AM

As a British Army Veteran I have always had a cynical streak where the rules of Mormonism are concerned.My rabidly molly mormon wife(NOW EX.) had the great idea of us both taking some classes at B.Y.U. where I discovered the so called "honour" code was anything but,the final straw was when some Army friends came to visit and see how my wounds were healing,bringing a few beers with them .The sanctimonious little ='"!returned missionary in the next flat not only hot footed it to the code office to report our deviant and sacriligous behaviour but stuck a note through the door telling us how he did it for our own good. Sequal to this in a very strange twist of fate he was found a few days later covered in coffee liquer and tobacco ash naked and hog tied with a very large sex toy gaffa taped between his hands. I like to think he learnt the true meaning of Brotherhood but doubt it. Good news now I am living in sin with a great girl ,got a degree from a proper university,and am back in the U.K.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 08:41PM

Four Ways The Shame Culture Is Corrupting Mormon Culture.

1st. The Caste System Within Mormon Culture.

One of the first things the shame culture does is feed one’s pride. It does this by categorizing everyone and creating a caste system so to speak. (A caste system is a class system). A few examples of The Mormon Caste System are, Pioneer stock vs Converts, Rich vs Poor, Early RM’s vs RM’s, Baptizing Missionaries vs Non-Baptizing Missionaries, Singles vs Married, Those who have served missions vs those who have not, Large Families vs Small Families. I could go on and on about the growing caste system within Mormonism.

We even do this with the leadership of the Church, we want to idolize them as more than men. One time I was doing an endowment at the Salt Lake Temple and Elder Christofferson sat right in front of me! And then Steve Young sat right next to me. I made a comment about how cool it was to do an endowment with Elder Christofferson, Steve Young turned to me and said, “He is just a man, as normal as me or you.”

It was humbling to see that to Steve Young, an Apostle, an NFL Super Star, and a single 24-year-old Mormon were all the same. His words reminded me that in the Kingdom of God, there are no caste systems! Each of us is a child of God with the potential to become like Him.

“it is essential that our preeminent identity is as a child of God.”
Elder Donald L. Hallstrom

"it is essential that our preeminent identity is as a child of God." Elder Donald L. Hallstrom #ByGogoGoff
2nd. Treating Culture As If It Was A Commandment.

One of the biggest contributors to the shame culture within Mormonism is when we blend culture and commandments. Growing up a few young men in my ward had long hair, members would incessantly tease them and tell them to cut his hair. Last I checked there is not a commandment that tells us certain haircuts are sinful. Beards do not violate temple covenants.

The fact of the matter is this, too many Mormons, like the Pharisees of old, love inventing new commandments. They theorize and then teach these commandments of men mingled with scripture as doctrine. But the worst part is they then judge others on how diligently they keep their faux commandments. And even if it is a real commandment they are struggling with, the best place for them to be is in church working on it!

Take, for example, my boss. Who I had been trying to share the gospel with for years. I invited him to the Provo City Center Temple Open House and he agreed! He told admitted that one of his ‘bucket list’ items as to go inside a temple, as his sister had joined the church and was married in one.

We had an amazing car ride talking about the gospel, the video at the beginning of the tour was amazing, he told me he had so many questions and as we were walking into the temple he asked me “Why do Mormons believe in baptisms for the dead?” As I started to reply an elderly couple turned around looking appalled and told us in a loud voice “BE QUIET IN THE TEMPLE!” They gave us nasty looks and we walked the rest of the way in silence.

After the tour was over as we drove home, I asked what his favorite part was and if he had any questions? He replied, “Why was that couple so rude to us?” It was such a negative experience that it was the only thing he remembered. I tried to explain that to some members they equate absolute silence with reverence, but it was too late. As I dropped him off at his house he said: “Well, I can check that off my bucket list now.”

“When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it!”
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"When it comes to hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, or wanting to cause harm, please apply the following: Stop it!" President Dieter F. Uchtdorf #ByGogoGoff
3rd. Allowing Politics To Divide Us.

Politics is the most divisive thing I’ve witnessed separating people within the church. Want to know the big secret? God is neither conservative nor liberal. God is not a Republican, Democrat, or a Libertarian and we need to stop acting like He is. Each of the political ideologies has aspects of the Gospel incorporated in them. To quote a 2016 letter from the First presidency. “Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties, and members should seek candidates who best embody those principles.”

I have seen too many members who take it upon themselves to declare the church supports their political ideology. And not only that, they go so far as to treat all members who disagree with them as apostates. Yes, we must be engaged in the political arena, but we must always act as disciples of Christ. At political rallies/marches/protests/town hall meetings, we should always act in accordance with the principles of the gospel.

The great danger is when our politics becomes our God. Ask yourself, do people know me as Latter-day Saint or as Democrat/Republican/Libertarian? Do I put as much effort into building the Kingdom of God as I do a political kingdom? Never let politics draw you away from building the Kingdom of God.

“A threat to our unity derives from unseemly personal antagonisms developed in partisan political controversy.”
The First Presidency. October conference, 1951.

“A threat to our unity derives from unseemly personal antagonisms developed in partisan political controversy." The First Presidency. October conference, 1951. #ByGogoGoff
4th. Persecuting Others. Are Vistors Really Welcome?

Costco
A Message From Costco

In front of every LDS Church is a sign declaring “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: Visitors Welcome.” But sometimes I wonder if members have another sign that they place in the lobby, chapel, and classrooms. A sign placed by the attitude, lack of friendliness, and judgemental looks. A sign that reads:”Visitors not welcome, unless you think like us, look like us, and are straight.” We must always remember that this is NOT our church but His church. Jesus Christ sets the rules.

One of the saddest examples of this happened in Nevada. A stake was doing a “Why I believe” series with famous members of the stake sharing their testimony of the restored gospel. The stake president asked Harry Reid, a convert to Church and the United States Senate Majority Leader to share his conversion story. Harry Reid agreed, but threats from members of the church who disagreed with his politics became so bad that his security detail told him it was too dangerous, he was forced to cancel the fireside. Think about that. It was too dangerous for a Mormon to share his testimony in a Mormon chapel because his political ideology was different!

I can’t help but close my eyes and see Christ crying over how members of His church treat others. Christ has declared that in His church visitors will be welcome. Welcome to the active and less active alike, welcome to the person who is a temple worker and the person who struggles with the word of wisdom. Welcome to the LGBTQ youth who need to be told they are a child of God and that someone loves them! His arms are open and welcoming everyone. Do our actions echo or disagree with His?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.