Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 11:55PM

I keep my mom company in the evenings watching Jeopardy. I know a miniscule number of answers. Embarrassing to be so clueless (haha, Jeopardy pun).

Rather than just a word clue tonight, the Jep folks showed BY's photo (blech) and asked for his name.

The champion knew the right answer.

Somebody here suggested not long ago that there must be a Mormon on the Jeopardy staff as out of the blue suddenly there are frequent Mormon-related clues. Definitely more than ever before in the years I've been watching.

When I see BY's picture I am always reminded of going through the LDS museum in Salt Lake as a new "convert" and seeing the displays of JS and BY and all their many wives. I am embarrassed to admit that (1) I somewhat missed the idea that many of the wives were concurrent (!) and especially (2) swallowed hook, line and sinker that they were wives in name only. Even thought that BY in particular was kind to have taken in all those "widows" to look after when otherwise they would have been down and out. I also remember standing staring into his (small) bedroom (was it in the Lion House?) trying to do the math. It seemed such a relatively small space for so many people to inhabit all together - edit: I mean, the entire house, not the bedroom, lol.

Funny how they sure gloss over a lot of facts when they are "teaching" you about Mormonism, those missionaries of theirs. Funny how a lot of the more salient questions don't occur to you. Especially up here in Canada, in my town where you have to go to a different, bigger town to even find a ward building. My town where Mormonism seems very distant indeed.

How much do origins matter, posters here have been known to ask. So, JS and BY were plygs. But today's leaders aren't. So isn't that all all-righty then? Different times 'n all that? {{tongue-in-cheek but not intending to be flippant about it}}

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 11:57PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 12:11AM

I am one of those who think, because of the Mormon clues, there "must" be a Mormon/exmormon on the production staff.

The good part is: For most everyone here, you can always figure out the right answers!

:D

Date: July 10, 2018 12:43AM

I was sorry I knew the man in the picture. The clue wasn't that informative so she must know him too. Jep LDS clues have been abt the trek, BOM, SLC, MoTab. Not doctrine. Maybe PoGP once. Never see JW questions. :)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 12:51AM

I saw it too. I love Jeopardy. Watch it or record it daily. The category wasn't about mormons. It was "Brig". Other answers were Brigadoon, Brigantine (sailboat), Briggs and Stratton. I agree that mormonism shows up at a higher percentage than the US mormon population percentage.

Date: July 10, 2018 02:04AM

Ah. Yes. I see now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.