Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 01:59AM

Any missionaries got any good stories about going back to there old mission areas and getting a better chance at enjoying the culture and sights without the restraints of being a missionary

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 10:07AM

For sure.
I knew I only seen Japan thru the Mormon rose colored glasses as a missionary. I couldn't ignore all that was around me. Beautiful country, wonderful people when you get to know them without the restraints. Been back numerous times. Karaoke, love hotels, nature hikes, all nighters....
I've never been to an LDS service in my mission area since those proselytizing years.

One of my adventures recently. (Not me, but same experience)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNRvfMihI0

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 02:38PM

I have gone back to Paris (France), where I spent a little over 6 months of my mission.

Upon returning, I didn't hesitate to ogle the often bare-breasted ads in pharmacies for various women's products. I laughingly remembered our mission's "rule" that you had to avert your eyes when passing a pharmacy, so you wouldn't burn your eyes with the oh-so-evil ads. Elohim forbid you had to go inside one and buy something!

I sat at a sidewalk cafe on the Champs-Elysees and had a glass of wine. I laughingly remembered doing the same thing now and then while on my mission, but having Orangina and trying to pretend we were enjoying it as much as wine. A pernod would have been just the thing, too.

I stopped by the Chinese restaurant near the La Motte Piquet-Grenelle metro station, where a young Chinese mormon convert that I found quite attractive on my mission worked (her family owned it). Alas, the restaurant had been sold, and she was long gone. She would kindly give us "leftovers" at church on Sundays, knowing how poor we were and how badly we were eating, when I was there. Probably married one of the many American missionaries who passed through Boulogne-Billancourt like I did.

I walked the Champ de Mars up to the Eiffel tower. Many an afternoon had been spent there during the mission, eating a cheap lunch (baguette and rillettes, usually), lingering a bit too long, because nobody wanted to buy what we were selling...and it sure beat tracting. It was largely as I remembered, the same distinct look, feel, and smell of Paris. Only this time, I had no buildings to go tract out, no reports to write (making up "potential contacts" to satisfy the ZLs because we really didn't have any), no similarly-dressed companion watching my every move.

Paris was a lot better not being a missionary. I've promised my wife to take her there, didn't make it last year, but maybe this year in the fall...!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.