Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 03:54PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/07/10/a-religious-oregon-couple-didnt-get-medical-care-for-their-newborn-the-child-died-and-now-theyre-going-to-prison/

The interesting thing here -- the group seems to have tangential Mormon roots. They were associated with a Strangite in Wisconsin in 1846. Yet another group of nutcases killing off their children in sufficient numbers to cause alarm, but apparently not enough to cause the followers to think.

The church involved is The Followers of Christ Church, also know by the name below, though it is not affiliated with any Mormon offshoot "Church of the Firstborn" groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Assembly_and_Church_of_the_First_Born

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 03:54PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:00PM

Given that I had twins and they could have very well died. I had to have a C-section and I know there are many groups who fight against too many c-sections. I had one breech baby and one that was on their side. We all would have died. But I have 2 healthy 32 year olds now.

My aunt had twins 57 years ago and lost one. Back then, they didn't have ultrasound and she didn't know she was having twins. One died of hyaline membrane disease, which is now not a big issue. I know if my aunt could have saved the second twin, she would have done everything in her power to save her.

I type medical reports and I have a cynical view towards the medical community, but I also see the good they do.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:19PM

Even Christian Scientists are backing off their "radical reliance of 'spiritual' (metaphysical) healing." But that cult is dying off (morbid pun very much intended).

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:22PM

We had a recent case up here in Canada (I mentioned it previously) where a poor little boy suffered for weeks and eventually died of meningitis. The parents did not seek medical care until he was not breathing, choosing instead to administer their own brand of medicine, without receiving a medical diagnosis first. They were recently convicted of negligence causing death but as all too often here, their sentences were laughable. The mother is under "house arrest" (with other kid/s to look after {{{shudder}}}) and the father got four months in prison. FOUR MONTHS for causing a child to suffer terribly and die.

As if that isn't enough to make them slink away forever and never be seen or heard from again - he is out and about still pushing his "natural" so-called health care products - who would be clueless/stupid enough to swallow (or literally consume) anything that guy is selling? But he ain't finished yet. Now he is APPEALING his sentence (and is out of jail awaiting appeal, as we do here) - like four months is too long for killing your kid (via not seeking medical attention for an obviously acutely ill child).

I generally don't favour lengthy overly punitive sentences (depending on the crime and circumstances) but wow, this guy is begging to be scorned and condemned and severely punished, you'd think.

If nothing else, back in public, holding meetings, producing ads, pushing his non-scientific wares, makes me wonder if he cares about what happened. He must. No?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:42PM

That couple have been granted a new trial and have elected trial by judge alone. But you know, if they are convicted, the husband/father (I use that term with some trepidation as he doesn't deserve to be a father IMHO) will deny any responsibility for what he did, or for his son's death. And, if he's convicted he'll get a "Canadian" sentence...which is to day, not long enough IMHO.
After his first trial there were people on the "other" exmo site defending him.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 07:08PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 07:32PM

Beat the hell outta me but a moderator on that "other" forum is a fan of theirs apparently.....but he's and exmo from Raymond....and that explains a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 07:33PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 04:48PM

Pray harder or go to prison. Not much smarter than hanging from the rafters. Cults kill.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 06:06PM

Parents’ religious liberties do not supercede their children’s rights to basic life needs including healthcare. Most US states (and I’d assume similar laws exist in Canada) stipulate that one is obligated to report ANY SUSPICION of child abuse. Typically these laws grant immunity to reporters. Abuse also includes neglect. If you suspect something is amiss, report it immediately to your local police, they are trained to sort things out, and can arrest the parents if needed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.