Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: FTG ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 05:20PM

If you have given or received this ordinance, please list as much of the ordinance as you recall.

Please do not create your own text just to post in the thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 06:41PM

I'm not sure what you are asking.

If you've been excommunicated and wish to rejoin, you must be baptised again, first. This can take several years of proving your worthiness, interviews, etc. with the bishop and the stake presidency. Once rebaptized, you can to be interviewed to go back to the temple. Of course, this requires, at least, a year of proving your worthiness by church attendance, paying tithes and offerings, etc.

All the information you are looking for is in the Church Handbook of Instructions.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 06:51PM

I think FTG is asking a good question, SusieQ. I don’t know the answer. We know that an EX’ed member has to be re-baptized with the exact words of the baptismal ordinance, but does a person actually go through a ceremony to re-receive the temple ordinances or priesthood? Is there a specific wording that has to be said exactly? Or, is the restoration just a clerical okay that they’re back?

Date: July 10, 2018 06:55PM

On-line Encyclopedia of Mormonism, Bruce Hafen ...

“Authorization to reinstate disfellowshipped persons or to rebaptize excommunicated persons must be given by a disciplinary council in the area where the applicant resides. In some cases, clearance by the first presidency is required. The ordinance of restoration of temple blessings may be authorized only by the First Presidency.”

Date: July 10, 2018 07:01PM

Okay, so here is Russ Nelson’s Conference talk...

Apparently, an endowed member goes through the temple again for him/herself.

Preiesthood holders do need a “Restoration of Blessings” under the direction of a GA. This implies, to me, that there’s a specific wording involved.

Sorry, FTG, I can’t find it.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1990/09/a-chance-to-start-over-church-disciplinary-councils-and-the-restoration-of-blessings?lang=eng&_r=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 07:01PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 07:26PM

I'm not sure of the particular wording, if they are any. But a general authority or stake pres can preform the restoration of blessings. Someone who has been ex'd or had their name removed doesn't have to go through the temple for their own endowment and the men aren't ordained to the priesthood again. All former blessings are restored through the Restoration of Blessings. That's from handbook 1.

Date: July 10, 2018 07:50PM

I misstated that an endowed member goes through the temple again for him/herself, from Nelson’s talk—

A person who was endowed in the temple before being excommunicated may regain priesthood and/or temple blessings only through the ordinance of restoration of blessings. This is a special ordinance performed by a General Authority as directed by the First Presidency. Afterwards, a new membership record is created, showing the original dates of baptism, endowment, sealing, and (if applicable) priesthood ordinations—with no reference to excommunication.

Date: July 10, 2018 08:17PM

Thanks Boner.

The restoration of temple blessing is an actual priesthood ordinance and occurs at least one year after rebaptism. Either a general authority or a stake president, both given the authorization by the FP, can restore a person's temple blessings.

What I know so far is that the blessing restores a person's temple privileges AND all other previously received priesthood blessings which includes their patriarchal blessing.

A person's priesthood, regardless of what level he held, is restored after their rebaptism as part of their confirmation. There is no separate ordinance for the return of their priesthood.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 08:32PM

Yes, it does.
But I searched the entire Handbook of Instructions, and couldn't find the actual wording (of course, none of the temple ritual wording is in there either).

On one other site, someone who had it done said that the GA who did it had it memorized, and that he'd seen it done once by an SP (authorized by a GA), who read it from a piece of paper.

I just can't find it written anywhere on the web. :(

Date: July 10, 2018 08:46PM

It must be a closely guarded secret. I'm surprised that it hasn't been leaked.

Thanks for searching.

Date: July 10, 2018 08:48PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I just can't find it written anywhere on the web.
> :(

That is because it's not written down except in a letter to the Stake President from The First Presidency. It's not used very often. Usually when people are exed, they don't want to return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2018 08:48PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: July 10, 2018 08:34PM

After the excommunicated member is rebaptized and gone through multiple interviews, and made request to go to the temple, the bishop refers the person to the stake president. The stake president, after a thorough interview and he is satisfied they are ready and worthy, will follow up with the Application to First Presidency to Restore Blessing. After receiving authorization to continue, he will be given an explanation of what is to be done, the exact wording is included in the letter.
It's basically a blessing. If the person is married, the spouse can be invited for much of the process.
(I worked for CES and for a stake pres. at one time.)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 08:28AM

does this really happen ?

Date: July 10, 2018 08:56PM

Okay, so I’m going to makeup my own —

“Brother Boner, having authority, and by the power of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood, I restore your temple blessings and ordination to elder in Melchizedek priesthood. The Lord is pleased that you have been obedient to his servants, made sorrowful repentence, and admonishes you to stop being a wanker.”

That will do!

Date: July 10, 2018 09:05PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Okay, so I’m going to makeup my own —

Just make a small deletion re: priesthood, for a female,
and the wanker stuff.
Otherwise, it works!

>
> “Brother Boner, having authority, invested in me
and by the power of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood, I
> restore your temple blessings. The Lord is
> pleased that you have been obedient and are
fully repentant.

Date: July 10, 2018 09:10PM

“Sister SusieQ, having authority, and by the power of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood, I restore your temple blessings. Keep smiling, girl!”

Date: July 10, 2018 09:29PM

Just delete the PH stuff but leave the wanker portion in there for females.

Date: July 10, 2018 09:38PM

Apparently, it is a pre-worded two-page blessing (thanks anonymous) that the FP has and gives to the person, a general authority or stake president whom the FP has selected, prior to the interview to restore a person's temple blessings. If the person passes the interview, their temple blessings are restored.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 11:41AM

And their temple card is reactived. They never lost their subscription to The Ensign or their ability to themselves pay or use relatives to pay their dues.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 11:10PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> ...you have been obedient to his
> servants, made sorrowful repentence, and
> admonishes you to stop.......WANKING."

FTG asked for serious answers, and here we all went wanking silly. I offer our group apology. The Semi-Repentant Fiend.

Date: July 11, 2018 01:59AM

What do you expect, you know me, wanker!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 02:27AM

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 11:48PM

Or prostate.

Er...prostrate.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 02:54PM

FWIW here is my experience.

Someone close to me who had been in higher church leadership at the time of excommunication had been rebaptized but still had to wait a year or so for the "restoration of blessings".

This person went and met with someone in Salt Lake (A GA, but cant remember if it was a Q12 or 70) and the only "ordinance" that was done after the GA felt that this person had suffered enough was a form was signed stating that temple blessings were restored.

SO it was a signature on a form that was then later keyed into a computer data base. That was the restoration of temple blessings ordinance.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 04:06PM

I don't know how to post the link from my phone.

If you search our own RFM archives for the author Wilson with an all date search you can read his own personal experience with this.

Date: July 13, 2018 12:11AM

[|] Wrote:
> https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,91438,9
> 1502#msg-91502

Different wording for women, of course, as they are not ordained to the priesthoods.

Posted by: dewey ( )
Date: May 08, 2023 07:24PM

I had it done. A general authority in my case. They lay their hands on your head and say your previous blessings and priesthood office is restored with all the rights and privileges included. In my case, I was at the church office building and two general authorities did it. They interviewed me kind of like the same questions for a temple recommend. Afterwards the one general authority immediately updated my status on the laptop they had. I was able to get my temple recommend the next day. So, if you go to the church office and it’s done by a general authority, it’s immediately shown on church records.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 09, 2023 12:38AM

That sounds about as much fun as going back in for an appendix transplant after an appendectomy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.