Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Somib12 ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 08:24PM

I snipped following from the Salt Lake City Messenger:
Sealed as a Servant to Joseph Smith Jane Manning James, a black convert, is an example of how firm the church leaders were about denying temple ordinances to blacks. She claimed that while living with the Joseph Smith family in the 1843 time frame the Smiths had offered to have her sealed to them as part of their family, but not understanding what that meant, she declined. Years later, living in Utah as a faithful LDS member, she longed for an eternal family and repeatedly requested to be sealed to her husband and children but the leaders refused. Jane then approached the leaders about being sealed to Joseph Smith, as Emma had suggested. The leaders finally offered to seal her “as a Servitor for eternity to the Prophet Joseph Smith.” According to the journal of Joseph Christenson, recorder in the Salt Lake temple, the ceremony was done on May 18, 1894: “Aunt Jane,” a negress, was sealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith as a servitor for all eternity. However, Jane was not allowed to attend the ceremony.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 09:21PM

"Servitors for All Eternity" is what the whole bunch of us tithing belching, toilet scrubbing, prophet smooching' schlemazels were to the troo church.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 09:22PM

I'm going to resign for "Aunt Jane" by proxy.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 09:40PM

+10000!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 09:39PM

After the collapse of mormon institutional racism, did they go back and do the temple work the way Aunt Jane wanted, at least in terms of her husband? Did they 'erase' the eternal servitor sealing?

Hey, LDS church money grubbers! Here's a freebie from yours truly:

Find some way to monetize Second Anointings for the Dead! I'm I good, or what!

There could be some big bucks in that! Like if a husband died, his wife could pay a fee to get the 2nd Anointing for the two of them. And C'mon! There's all that life insurance money she's got!

You're welcome.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.