Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: July 10, 2018 11:18PM

ok boyos ~

in b 4 ~ its snapper season in Texas ~

¿ are you getting any lines wet ? ~

¿ are you fishing or catching ? ~

official RfM o/t fishing thred is official ~

in b 4 ~ IN ~ 4 links to pics ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 12:34AM

there is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 12:35AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 09:00AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there is a fine line between fishing and standing
> on the shore looking like an idiot.

Um, no there isn't :)

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 11:17AM

Never take what's in the box. Never.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 11:38AM

Can I just ride along in the boat and read a book? My Dad always let me when I was a kid.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 11:42AM

inb4 pole dancing vid

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 12:04PM

Hats off to those who actually catch fish. I could stand by my son and he would be pulling in fish. I pulled in decayed plants, little logs, etc. That's why I haven't been fishing in about 15 years. For me, it's just standing in the blazing sun holding a stick over the water! If I want a fish dinner, I'll sit down in Red Lobster. :^D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 12:04PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 01:06PM

Some fly fishing missionary work (and honest, here in Utah, many of the streams, lakes, and reservoirs are far less busy on Sunday).

I have a lot of compassion for those who don't live where trout fishing is available (see Travers, Robert). I've got three or four graphite rods I've finished, and one split cane I use for special occasions. I've beaten some pretty big trout with it down on the Provo River below Deer Creek...

And of course, I have a float tube...

Incidentally, Eric, the owner of this site, agrees with me about fly fishing... And for Beth, fly fishing isn't about catching fish; it's about catching fish properly...

Of course in these days of catch-and-release there are a lot liars out there, unfortunately.

Date: July 11, 2018 07:34PM

the Texas 3rd coast has speckled sea trout or "specs" ~

fishermen who are on that there advanced mode snatch them out of the salt-flats and back bays using fly rigs either wading or out of a kayak or "skinny water" boats ~

specs can also be found in the surf when the conditions are right ~

fly fishing is a high art which ziller aspires to one day delve into ~

the tying your own fly out of natural materials, perfecting the presentation, reading fish behavior = all fascinating ~

¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>
¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 09:37PM

Spent my summers, with my Dad at San Luis pass. Caught specs, redfish, flounder, a seagull and a rattlesnake (Casted too far onto a bank with a live shrimp as bait, and the damn snake ate it.) Needless to say, I cut the line when I got him close. We had huge success with live bait and Johnson Sprites with a Mitchell 300's.

Date: July 11, 2018 11:21PM

ya ~ agreed ! ~

all the sea creatures on the Texas 3rd coast haff to go though the San Luis pass ~

gotta catch them all ~

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 04:02PM

Hey Cabbie. Couldn't agree with you more about fly fishing and the main reason I live in Montana. Bring those great fly fishing rods up to Big Sky! We'll go wet a line. You have my email.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 05:13PM

Just got back from Alaska and now have freezer full of Halibut.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 06:01PM

Did you go to Alaska just for the Halibut?

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 08:23PM

No, also to visit an old friend who lives there. We also tried for Kings but they just weren't there. In fact at least 3 rivers on the Kenai were closed to all fishing due to low runs. We did hike into a couple of lakes and hooked up with some grayling. But those were cooked over a fire and eaten on the spot.

Date: July 11, 2018 08:38PM

exmos are gonna need some details bro ~

plz elaborate ~

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 09:45AM

What would you like to know?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 01:16PM

Lucky re the halibut. It's getting prohibitively expensive. We used to often buy halibut 'n chips to eat on the pier or beach but now share just one dinner as the price has more than doubled. But it's so delicious. I've tried switching to the (marginally) less expensive cod but halibut is king.

When we were kids we used to play by the Fraser River up in the Valley. I'm shocked in retrospect that my parents let us do that, unsupervised. I often had this crazy impulse to stand waist high in the river to feel the rush of the water going past. It was fun to resist and mesmerizing. Not to mention bears in the area, also known to like fishing! I'm amazed I didn't get sucked into the deep and drowned. One of our neighbours caught a huge sturgeon there once. Not my choice of seafood!

I'm too squeamish anyway to fish. Touching all that wriggly bait. Ugh. I just want to see the catch on my plate, all tidy and delicious.

To ziller: Love the genius fish drawing above. Gonna steal it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 01:19PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 11, 2018 07:29PM

The Boner is out fly fishing. Now where’s my Royal Wuff?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 12:16PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: July 12, 2018 12:23PM

We be fishing for Kokanee, a fresh water, non-migrating form of sockeye salmon. We stuff them with a mixture of seafood and parmesan spiced nuts, then tin foil wrap and grill them...soooo nummy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.