Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 03:41PM

Mormons love to brag oh we accept gays and they are equal! But how are gays treated in this so called church? I saw a video of a girl talking about her family that were gay in a Mormon ward and her mike was cut and she was told to get down,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 04:24PM

From the perspective of my daughter.

The real issue that my daughter had was how was everyone going to respond to her once she came out. She went slowly, so that by the time she was ready to be open with everyone she had moved on from Mormonism.

That isn't to say that it wasn't very difficult for her. Her mother is very LDS and for the first part of her life I was as well. She carried a lot of the baggage that comes with being raised Mormon. For a bit, right before she came out to me and right after, she was in a real difficult place. She just didn't know how it would be taken.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 04:27PM

That they need to change, even now I believe. There is a poster who I haven't seen for a while who said that his MP, his SP, and bishop all told him to get married just in the past few years. They say they don't tell gays that any longer.

Let's not talk about how they treat the children of gays. I'm kind of curious if my daughter gets asked if she supports her dad's lifestyle when she gets a TR, but she'd never tell us, and she doesn't support his lifestyle. She tends to pretend it doesn't exist.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:19PM

I was thinking of bringing this up but didn't because I don't want to stir people up too much. But...

This has been on my mind a few days, I have been thinking a lot about Packer and some of the others that fought a crusade against the proper use of procreation. I think a lot of mormons are like him, they see something they don't agree with and instead of trying to discuss ideas, they scream at everyone about sinning and going to hell.

Remember back to when there was the protest back at Temple Square (about 2012) and people lied down in the street in representation of despair in the community, which happened right after Packers gc Talk? If He really cared about making gays turn straight he would have come out of his office and talk to these poor people. Found out what they were so upset about. Instead the Mormon Church ignored it. They all hid in their big offices and went on like nothing was the matter. Packer was remembered to have said that the church never apologizes.

I regret to say it but the GA's were an embarrassment, not for boldly proclaiming the Law and offending the Left, but for not even trying to talk to these people or actually care enough to try to help them...It's really easy to tell everyone to go to Hell. Packer was not a good leader.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:50PM

All I can say (from personal experience with my gay ex) is that they threw him away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2018 05:50PM by gemini.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 11:54PM

The stories seem to run the gamut from rejection to full acceptance.
At least the Church is addressing it and reaching out. That puts it light years ahead of many other churches. Still a long way to go.
Gays are still treated poorly by society in general.
People think a lot has changed but most of it is just people being pc. Gays are still great targets for jokes and slurs in entertainment.

Date: July 19, 2018 12:21AM

religions. It has gotten worse since 1983 when I found out my boyfriend/eventual husband was gay. I was always skeptical of all their talk and, sure enough, 2 or so years ago, they told me my kids are defective because their dad is gay. Now they are punishing the kids of gays? And they've made progress.

As for Packer (for the other comment above your's). I wrote to Packer back in 1984. I just knew if I could talk to a GA, they could give me the answer or talk to God and get the answer. I got the most horrible letter in return. (I was told by other leaders to ask him.) I was already suicidal and if my sister and BIL hadn't 'been there when I got the letter, I may not be here today. Too bad I burned the damn thing--BURNED IT. My dad told me years later when he found out about it that he would have taken out a page ad in the SL Tribune. I only allowed a few people to read it as it was so horrible and he treated me like a piece of shit. Worth of a soul. My ass.

The LDS church is NOT a good place for ANYONE GAY. And it definitely isn't a good place for children of gays.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 12:02AM

My BIL told his paralyzed son that he was paralyzed because he was gay, and that he'd be able to walk again once he learned to stop being gay. I've heard other Mormons approvingly repeat what he told his son as though it were a divine truth.

Date: July 19, 2018 12:23AM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 05:33PM

I have rarely been as angry in my life as when you first posted that story of your BIL and his son. Despicable arrogance and ignorance beyond belief and devoid of love.

But I know so many Mormons who would admire your BIL's great faith and his stalwart stance. Makes me sick.

Mormons run the gamut as to how they individually treat gays. However as a church, as a people who follow their prophet, the Mormon church is incredibly harmful to gay people. They keep some of it subliminal and in most cases feign comfort for gay people as they twist the knife in their back. Mormon church is one of the worst things that can happen to a gay kid.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 01:42PM

Mormons are usually polite, so they are polite to gays.

Their religion, their theology, their practices are truly HORRIBLE and DAMAGING to gay people.

One of the worst mistakes a parent can make, is raising a gay child in mormonism.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 01:54PM

My husband and I live in Utah. He was raised Catholic and I was raised Mormon (and have since escaped and gotten better).

My husband was working in the yard last summer when the missionaries stopped by to talk to him. After their spiel he told them that he and I (his husband) are gay. The missionary said, "That's no problem, we accept gays in the LDS church."

My husband said, "But we ACT on it."

The missionary got very upset with him and asked "How do you know about that?!?!?" Then they ran away without offering to mow the lawn or paint the house or anything.

I told my husband it was a good thing I wasn't out there with him. When he told the missionaries "we act on it" I would have said, "In fact, we acted on it last night. Twice!"

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 09:11AM

I am gay and grew up Mormon. I don't think things have changed much since I was in the church.

The poor Mormon treatment of gay people may not be as blatant as some other religions (they are not throwing them off of buildings), but it is no less cruel. They make gay kids believe that GOD thinks they are flawed and unacceptable. I thought God hated me for so many years. So gay people are forced to find love and give up their religion and often their family, or stay and be alone. In a religion that is all about families and kids, that is nothing short of cruel.

Posted by: LadyKorihor ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 05:20PM

I ran into sister missionaries at a college, they tried chatting with me so I told them I was LGBT as well as exmo. They claimed the church supports both with open arms. They acted so clueless about the anti-lgbt policies and I noped so hard out of that convo...

I know the church is shit to LGBT and apostates, can't take it serious if mishies try to tell me any different.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 05:36PM

It depends on what time period you are talking about and what location.

If you were in San Francisco in the '80s and your bishop was (great, I'm forgetting his name, "Stan?") in the singles ward that was one thing.

If you were at BYU in the '70s and got caught, it was get shocked or else.

If you are in NYC today, its survivable, if you are the type who wants to just survive.

What's it like in Panguitch, UT today?

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 06:13PM

Stan Roberts

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.