Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saffainoz ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 11:42AM

The last time I posted on here was January. By mid February, my husband and I had requested our names to be removed off church records, along with our three kids! Just incredible - I didn’t see that coming so soon with him. It’s been the craziest time of our lives with so many surprising reactions from others.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who gave encouraging words and great advice. Since we have left, three other families have too, with another on their way out as a direct consequence of our decision. We shared everything with our closest friends. Each family did their own research too and uncovered the truth of Mormon history and doctrines that are so disturbing. Each of our families have also been trusting in the Lord and have come to see that the Mormon gospel is a different gospel to the biblical gospel.
We are each going through the various stages of recovery from Mormonism, and the strength gained from trusting God with this and reading His Word has brought great peace and new understanding. For the many “friends” we lost because of our decision, we have gained new ones.

Thanks again for support during a time that was very lonely and difficult! Life on this side of the fence is fabulously freeing and only gets better and better!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 11:45AM

I love to hear that!! Freedom from the cult opens doors for you!

Date: July 20, 2018 12:02PM

Thanks Aquarius! 38 years in a cult. Almost 6 months out!
That is freedom indeed!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:44PM

Whenever a cult door closes a window to heavenly freedom opens up.

Date: July 20, 2018 08:27PM

So right Elder!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 11:12AM

Problem is most people are adverse to jumping out of windows.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 11:54AM

This is always so good to hear stories like this! My husband, myself, and 3/4 kids have left TSCC; one is still TBM. Our son-in-law's brother and his wife and kids are leaving the church now! Like you, we're seeing the biblical gospel is like night and day from Mormonism's doctrine. In fact, two weeks ago, we had some spiritual things happen, that I never thought would happen in my time. I believe there is no such thing as coincidence; especially when things "fall into place" all at once.

Date: July 20, 2018 12:09PM

I’m so happy for you too. Things are moving along fast and from our experiences, there’s no way it’s co-incidence either. These four families that have left were all solid temple going families serving on Bishopric, RS President, High council, etc. The local leaders are trying to contain the ripple effect and it’s not working!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 12:59PM

Your positive action had a positive effect on others. I pray your power of example strengthens the resolve of others who are harboring questions and doubts. CS Lewis wrote of the "positive infection" that Christian witness can have, offsetting the plethora of "negative infection" that abounds in the world (such as false prophets and gospels.)

Speaking of false gospels (Gal 1:6-10, 2 Cor 11:4), a suggestion (regulars, please be patient): Why not get those other families for a regular Bible study? This will help compensate for the loss of fellowship, now that you're not in the wards, and you can reinforce each other, share thoughts and insights, etc. I recommend the ESV Study Bible, which has abundant notes, graphs, and illustrations. ESV will not trigger LDS/KJV associations and interpretations. Each of you could visit different churches, see what they're like, "return and report" (sorry, couldn't resist).

Speaking of CS Lewis, a book-club read of his works ("Mere Christianity," especially) could also be helpful.

Grow in wisdom and truth. With time, you can reach out to others who are trapped in cultic darkness.

God bless you, and Godspeed!

Date: July 20, 2018 08:18PM

You’re right. My closest friends were watching closely when I was researching the Mormon history & doctrines. I got to a point of pleading with God to show me His truth. I was led to read the New Testament again. But this time it’s like a veil had been removed and I understood what I was reading without my Mormon paradigm. It has been a priceless experience to finally come to know the biblical Christ, instead of the false one of the BOM.
We have started a ex-Mo bible study group and we are each attending various non-denomination Christian churches. Each of our families have been blessed in amazing ways.
Thanks for your encouraging words!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 01:34PM

Good for you. Leaving together is such a bonus. Lucky kids you have. Thanks for the story.

Date: July 20, 2018 08:25PM

Thanks - yes, I left on my own but it didn’t take more than a couple of weeks before the whole family was out! So grateful!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 04:17PM

What part of the country?

And if you are up to stoking the fire of our passions, got any stories, the kind that frustrate TBMs? You know, they tell you how Jesus will stop blessing you, only he doesn't!

Date: July 20, 2018 08:23PM

We’re in Perth, Australia. I bump into members when we’re out and about. They’re always surprised to see how happy and well we’re looking. They seem to expect awful things to happen to us for leaving the church. Life has never been so good!

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 08:08AM

I'm a never mo but also live in Perth. We have mormon extended family which is why I visit this site.

Enjoying this cold front that's coming through right now? Stay warm !

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 08:17AM

I'm another never-mo in Perth. It's hard to imagine any Mormon church surviving long here, once the bubble has burst. There can't be many members left if they are leaving in such numbers as you suggest! I always imagine the church here must be pretty fragile since there is no heavy Utah culture, or even a strong Christian church-going culture at all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 04:45PM

It's always good to hear when a family can leave the Mormon church together. Best wishes to you.

Date: July 20, 2018 08:24PM

Thank you Summer ❤️

Posted by: calico ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 09:17PM

Congrats to you and your family.

No more 3 hour meetings every week!
No more cleaning buildings for a multibillion dollar organization.
No more PAYING tithing to this multibillion dollar organization.
No one treating you like a child and telling you what you must wear, or not wear.
Especially, No more required underwear.
No more interviews for worthiness.
No creepy interviews of your underage children

Isn't it a breath of fresh air to get out from under all that negativity and repression?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 20, 2018 09:23PM

As time goes on, just about every day will have at least one reminder of the Mormon life that you are no longer living.

Calico has listed a number of the new freedoms you will experience.

ENJOY EVERY ONE OF THEM! Yes, there may be times when you might miss the feeling of "belonging" to the group - but you can find that feeling in other places - an evening class in something you enjoy, perhaps.

There is a lot more to life than just "enduring" it.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 21, 2018 09:48PM

It seems you took the LDS missionary ploy, "If any of you lack wisdom..." and turned it inside out!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 01:53AM

Congratulations! My children and I resigned together, 10 years ago, and the first day out, we cried for joy! My hopelessness, despair, and lack of self-esteem went away, and never returned (except for normal life events). That was only the first day! It has been 10 years, and our lives have gotten better and better. If I were superstitious, I would say that God has blessed us more than ever!

I purposely kept my belief in God and Christ, and the teachings of the bible Christianity, because it would have been too great of an upheaval to give those up, too. I simply separated out and disguarded all the JS garbage (polygamy, the BOM, BOA, D&C, and the Mormon interpretations of the Bible and God, the temple weirdness, racism, sexism, anti-gay stuff, hatred of other religions, paying money, all those mandatory "callings", the Mormon social hierarchy, and all the gossip) and was left with pure Christianity. Love!

In the learning process, I even questioned the existence of God, a few times, but I have a better personal conviction of God. I won't go into it, but I do know that Mormonism is not God's church!

One of the greatest reliefs is that I don't have to argue with my children anymore. They were wiser than I, and not as brainwashed as I (we were all BIC), and they never could talk themselves into believing the JS story, and that Heaven excludes Mother Theresa and their favorite school teachers, just because they aren't Mormon. My children were never racist or sexist, so they couldn't support those notions. The Mormon priesthood leaders actually physically abused my children, when they didn't follow along perfectly. When I found out about that--we were out. I'm sure if I had stayed in the Mormon cult, I would have lost my children.

No. No God there. No love there. No real friendships, either. You will never want to go back. We didn't.

May you always remain close to your children. You are heroes, in my eyes, for saving your children from a cult!

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: July 22, 2018 04:03AM

Hi again saffainoz, Good to hear from you. How fortunate you are that your husband saw through the deception so you can be together in your beliefs. A marriage is much easier when the two of you can agree in your beliefs.

Date: July 23, 2018 11:41AM

Hi Felix! Yes I’m so relieved that we’re out and so fortunate to be out together! Thanks for your support.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 23, 2018 12:21PM

I'm proud of you.

Date: July 28, 2018 10:26AM

Thank you Cheryl

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 05:09AM

It is an amazing story to hear that all those people left along with you and your family. Glad to hear you're doing so well.

Date: July 28, 2018 10:33AM

Thanks Amyjo
It is just incredible that our closest friends searched for the truth of Mormonism too, came to the same conclusions and that we have been able to support one another through all the stages of post-Mormonism.
Thanks for your sweet message.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 12:50PM

Wow. That's what honesty does!

Happy journey to your family and the other families! Each family is now in charge of designing their own destinies and defining their own dreams.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.