Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 09:39AM

Apostates are not evil people. They aren't misguided, defective goods, or inferior. The term itself is a Mormon invention designed to control those who stay while other rank and file members abort.

It's another form of shunning, looking down on others rather than lifting them up.

The term itself is a misnomer. Another cult tactic to exert control over others by making them feel less than human.

Having the freedom to make your own way in the world is a god given right. No one has the power to take that away from you, unless you give it to them.

Nor does Mormonism own the patent to joy. Joy is innate, and comes from within. It can't be bought or parceled. Mormons think the only way to happiness is as a Mormon. They got it backwards. It is not the way to happiness by virtue of its deception. It's the equivalent of Fool's Gold. It only looks tempting until you measure its content. That's when you learn all that glitters is not gold.

So, don't worry. Be happy. Love yourself and be at peace with the world. Things could be worse. You could be back there. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:28AM

I like your analogy, Amyjo. TSCC really is like Fool's Gold: nice appearance on the outside but ugly on the inside. I had always thought that "Apostate" was Greek for a free person; someone no longer a slave. I agree that "Apostate" has come to be associated with evil people; don't even look at them! But if someone is going to label me, I don't mind "apostate"; in fact, it's a badge of honor.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 10:51AM

Sticks and stones.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 02:48PM

If you disagree with a bishop or a stake president you are apostate. Multiply that by the number of bishops and stake presidents out there and no, you cant put all the reasons for apostasy in a bishops handbook.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 03:21PM

The handbook clearly defines apostasy. The problem is that it is not correctly used.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:06PM

I am proud to be an "apostate" because somethings should be apostatized from when discovered to be a fraud.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:06PM

It’s not just Mormons. The concept and term of apostasy is used by JWs and Evangelicals (as well as other non-Christian faiths).

Perception is important. There are benign definitions but check out the synonyms.

Benign (objective) definition: a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle.

Synonyms (decidedly negative): dissenter, defector, deserter, traitor, backslider, turncoat

Connotation also comes into play. In a religious setting, the apostate label is pejorative (understatement).

In my experience with The WatchTower Society (JWs) and at least the more fundamentalist EVs, being considered apostate is far worse than any other transgression, including mere lack of belief. It is considered to be actively choosing treachery against God and his people. Way beyond just renouncing faith. There is no forgiveness or return from apostasy. You are hell-bound. End of.

From Grace to You (John MacArthur) (EV Christian)

https://www.gty.org/library/questions/QA78/what-is-an-apostate

“The word "apostasy" comes from the Greek apostasia, which is translated "falling away" in 2 Thessalonians 2:3. The word is closely related to the Greek word for "divorce."

“Apostates are those who fall away from the true faith, abandoning what they formerly professed to believe. The term describes those whose beliefs are so deficient as to place them outside the pale of true Christianity. For example, a liberal denomination that denies the authority of Scripture or the deity of Christ is an apostate denomination.

“True Christians do not apostatize. Those who fall away into apostasy demonstrate that their faith was never real to begin with (1 John 2:19).”

Yes. It denies your beliefs and choices. Potentially robs you of friends and family (if they choose to shun you, as directed). It interferes with your life. "Apostates" can be driven to desperation.

The antithesis of love.

"God is Love."

But apparently only if you believe the way we tell you to.

See why people's heads explode?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2018 04:08PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:18PM

I wear the name apostate with PRIDE. I was such a good little mormon girl and this label fits me so much better. I am not in the least bit offended by it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:25PM

Mormonism teaches incorrect meanings for more than just apostate.

They define agency as "the privilege of choice which was introduced by God the Eternal Father to all of his spirit children in the premortal state".
Or as commonly used: choosing between good and evil or Heavenly Father and Lucifer/Satan.

W R O N G!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:40PM

So when I tell a TBM that I've ceased believing in the teachings of the mormon church, despite having been raised in the church, accomplished all the goals set for youth (seminary, mission, BYU, temple-marriage), and he asks when my 'apostasy' took place, I can't simply say. "May of 1965, internally, but May of 1974, externally."

I have no problem agreeing with the TBM when she tells me that I am living in apostasy. I will nod my head enthusiastically!!

Also, I sincerely believe that joy can be purchased. I think you should stay away from Norman Rockwell.

Posted by: Rare Poster (wow, a lot today) ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 06:24PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The term
> itself is a Mormon invention designed to control
> those who stay while other rank and file members
> abort.
>
Julian the apostate was a 4th Century Roman emperor who rejected the recently established “official” Christian Church and tried to reinstate worship of the old Roman gods. Mormons didn’t invent the word, but I agree with your point.

Date: July 28, 2018 07:18PM

Maybe because it's more commonly used among Mormons than other religions today when someone leaves or becomes shunned by the 'brethren and sisters.'

You don't hear Catholics describing ex or former Catholics describing their non-active friends as apostates, like you would Mormons talk.

Nor the shunning that's so prevalent as a feature of being in a cult.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 06:33PM

Apostasy, by definition, is the renunciation of a religion or creed. Therefore an apostate is one who has renounced a religion, ANY religion.

Date: July 28, 2018 07:23PM

So, like Cl2 can be seen as a badge of honor rather than a derogatory term, how Mormons try to portray it.

I don't consider myself an apostate, though there was a time I may have when I was inactive and in the throes of renunciation.

Because I identify with something else more profound and spiritual to me, Mormonism is a by-gone chapter of my life resurrected by virtue of finding RfM, a somewhat safe place to publicly denounce it among a support group of like-minded ex-cultees.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.