Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 02:10PM

Another shocking tale of murder and betrayal by the leader of a FLDS cult. Many of you no doubt have heard of this evil. I watched the story on Investigation Discovery this morning.

Subject to TSCC doctrine of blood atonement, LeBaron (self-declared prophet and leader of his sect,) had his opponents murdered. That included anyone who questioned him or stood in his way as the leader of his cult. Including his own brother who challenged his authority. And then one of his daughters who no longer wished to be associated with his church.

From prison he wrote a manuscript like a doctrine which he had smuggled out of jail by one of his future victims, his son-in-law Duane Chynoweth. LeBaron died of cardiac arrest in prison in 1981. It was 1988 that Chynoweth, his brother Mark, another friend of theirs Eddie Marston (a former thug and stepson of LeBaron's,), and an eight year old little girl Jennifer (Duane's daughter,) were gunned down per instructions Irvil had written out years before, while doing business in their Houston neighborhoods. All were executed at 4:00 in different locations, by three killers on the same date. It was the same date and time Joseph Smith was assassinated 144 years prior (planned that way.)

There were 25 executions of people who Ervil had murdered during his incarceration from prison. One of his daughters, Lillian, was married to Duane Chnyoweth. After her husband's death, she would later take her own life because she didn't know how to cope living without him. It was their eight year old daughter who was murdered with her dad the day he was gunned down, running errands together. Their murderer? An uncle of the little girl's.

These people were so brainwashed that's all they knew how to be. Duane was a part of the inner clan until he had an awakening to break free.

A tragic tale of power, greed, and murder - even his own family was not off limits to Ervil LeBaron. A horrific example of a human wrecking ball.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 05:02PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 02:51PM

Evidently Irvil LeBaron knew well the example set by the founder of the Mormon religion not to mention his depressor Brigham Young. Here is some evidence provided by those who would have known.

Sidney Rigdon, in a letter he once wrote to Orson Hyde, said, “…it was the imperative duty of the Church to obey the word of Joseph Smith, or the presidency, without question or inquiry, and that if there were any that would not, they should have their throats cut from ear [to] ear.”

Said Elder John D. Lee, “Punishment by death is the penalty for refusing to obey the orders of the Priesthood. I knew of many men being killed in Nauvoo by the Danites. It was then the rule that all enemies of the Prophet Joseph should be killed, and I knew of many a man who was quietly put out of the way by the orders of Joseph and his apostles while the church was there.”

This is a topic that was NEVER discussed in all of my many years of gospel doctrine or church history classes.

Date: August 02, 2018 03:13PM

Felix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> This is a topic that was NEVER discussed in all of
> my many years of gospel doctrine or church history
> classes.

Nor mine. It's really that awful. Worse than the polygamy doctrine. Why it was covered up under wraps for all those years. Still is, by the morg.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 04:25PM

Might want to check your spelling of his name. I googled it. (Ervil - not Irvil).

Date: August 02, 2018 05:03PM

Thanks. Duly noted. In short, he was evil, sans r.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 05:01PM

It, blood atonement, doesn't exceed polygamy in the sheer suffering it caused, especially for first wives. Death, as bad as it is, is rather short term suffering except for loved ones left behind while the emotional trauma experienced by some of the women forced into polygamy was rather unending and severe. To get an idea of the degree of pain it caused some of the women read "Tell It All" by Fanny Stenhouse, published 1874. The PDF is on line. I assume you are already aware of this book.

Also, it is possible that we may get varying definitions of evil from individual to individual.

As far as the spelling of Evil LaBaron, I just copied Amyjoes spelling so, not my fault.

Date: August 02, 2018 05:04PM

He's evil alright.

If there's a hell, may he rot there.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 05:27PM

Ervil LeBaron has been called "The Mormon Manson."

Manson and Ervil had one thing in common: THEY never committed any murders but they got others to commit them, in Ervil's case, because these people thought they were doing God's will.

I have become something of an expert on the LeBarons, because I find it a fascinating story,and because there is no shortage of books being written about the LeBaron family. I think I have read all of them several times over.

What is interesting to me is not Ervil's depravity. It is the way he got good, honest, decent people to commit these hideous acts. They did it because they thought they were carrying out God's will through his mouthpiece, Ervil LeBaron.

Ervile's brother, Joel, and his daughter Rebecca were two of his victims.

The best book I have read on the subject is The Four o'Clock murders by Scott Anderson.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 07:03PM

I agree how he got all these people (who were misfits to begin with) to do crazy things is what's very fascinating. They say he had good looks and the women liked that. He was suppose to be the spiritual son of Old Joe through some plural marriage or something and to have spiritually inherited his charming ways. And his brother was suppose to be the Great and Mighty one mentioned in D&C 84 that is to come and fix Mormonom in Salt Lake.

His personal habits were interesting though. He hated working and would spend all day reading his book of mormon. He never bathed and expected his women to take care of him in bed, bring food etc. He was really lazy.

But of course these were the mormon colonies and it's like 110 down there on a cool day, and there is an attitude of manayana, lol!

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 02, 2018 08:04PM

Yes, he was lazy and spent all his time reading. I don't think he lived in the real world and that when he issued his execution orders real people would shed real blood and really reallyl really die. Even his own daughter.

I wouldn't characterize all of his followers as "misfits." Most of them came from mainstream Mormonism and were hardworking intelligent people.

Yes, in his younger days Ervil was certainly handsome in a tall rugged way. That must have accounted for his ability to attract women followers, and convince them that he was God's Chosen One. He grew up poor. He didn't like being poor. He didn't like working either. Becoming God's Chosen Spokesman seemed like a way out of his difficulties.

I guess I followed the LeBaron story, because it was well documented, and a kind of a recapitulation of the JS story. Same plot, different century, different country.

Nice, honest hardworking people following the wrong leader. pftem carrying out bloody executions that they would never ever do were they not under the influence of a madman.

I think this is a very common story.

One of Joel LeBaron's daughter wrote a book and one of Ervil LeBaron's daughter wrote a book and both books are fascinating. Neither daughter knew of the existence of her cousin as both their fathers had fifty-plus children.

Life under polygamy in Colonia LeBaron was incredibly hard on women. Harder than I can communicate.

But it produced some very resilient souls, and i am glad they saw fit to tell their stories.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:01PM

Ervil Morrell LeBaron (February 22, 1925 – August 15, 1981)

He died today... 37 years ago

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:04PM

Put another candle on his deathday cake!!!

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:05PM

I think there was something wrong in that family line. The oldest brother, Benjamin, had mental issues. One of the sisters, Maud, also had mental issues. And then bat-feces crazy Ervil. Yeah, I think something was wrong in that bloodline.

Date: August 15, 2018 09:26PM

Oh, wow.

The Lafferty family that was featured on Investigation Discovery earlier this week had a daughter of the killer discussing that supposed bad bloodline. She wonders how or if it was passed on to her by her father?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.