Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 01:37PM

I spent the morning doing yardwork. We're having a heat wave and drought in my corner of the woods ... so chilling in my home following a really nice brunch after the lawn was mowed.

Yesterday went to see the newest Winnie the Pooh movie (I'm still a BIG kid at heart.)

It's a Disney release. Reminded me of my childhood when I sometimes stayed home from Sacrament meeting so I could watch the weekly Disney special on ABC. (I stayed home from services yesterday, not today, for similar reasons.) Guess old habits die hard?!

Hope your day is going fabulously. Highlights/lowlights feel free to share. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 02:23PM

Cleaning the house from top to bottom ( hubby on business trip , so he’s not in the way) , and getting rid of things for charity, when I find a charity group I like. I’m going to watch a couple of DVDs later with my cup of Jasmine tea.
I didn’t know they had s new Pooh movie. I saw the one about Christopher Robin, I think last year

Date: August 05, 2018 03:08PM

This one is called "Christopher Robin," non-biographical. It's an adaptation of the children's book, only with Christopher now grown up and living in London. :)

Ewan McGregor plays Christopher as the adulled adult. ;)

It is really a delightful movie if you like the Pooh stories, which it sounds like you do. It's a new release, so I don't think it's the one you saw last year. Was that the biographical one? I missed that one. Although I've read the story of the real Christopher Robin. He was nothing like his writer dad portrayed him as. He didn't talk to his parents for most of his adult life, until near they passed on. That's when he tried making amends with them, of sorts. (from what I've read.)

Have been trying to clean and de-clutter here also. Although I prefer working in the yard to housework (love being outdoors.) Today is so humid though, unless it's somewhere with air conditioning I will likely stay indoors as much as possible.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 02:34PM

I also mowed (front) this morning after taking a long, hot, humid walk with the dog. Now I’m lying on the couch streaming cable news. Have to clean the bathrooms for my sister’s visit later in the week.
Like hockeyrat I just watched a movie, my Cousin Vinny, having gotten it on google drive. What a classic.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:11PM

Utes!

Date: August 05, 2018 03:12PM

Took my dog for a walk too this afternoon. He's getting so old sometimes I've had to pick him up recently to carry him the rest of the way. Today he was a trooper. :)

Haven't watched My Cousin Vinny in a long time. It is goodness by now, a classic. But still, very funny. :)

It's been very humid here as well. Just muggy.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:21PM

Date: August 05, 2018 03:26PM

Happy Birthday, Beth !

Cheers to you ! :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:29PM

You're 30 years old

Date: August 05, 2018 03:33PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

"It's my party and I'll do what I want to, do what I want to, do what I want to; you would do, too, if 'it' happened to you..."

It's your party, Beth! "...Next year in Jerusalem!"

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 07:53PM

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Beth!
Happy birthday to you!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 04:11PM

Yeah, Breakfast with the Dawg followed by him buying me books

and clothes , my two favorite things, well three if you count

the Dawg as one of them. It's good to be alive.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 04:42PM

"Goodbye, Christopher Robin" was the 2017 biographical one. It was really good. Looking forward to the Ewan McGregor one, by myself, because no one wants to see it. I like going to certain movies by myself (but not too often), so I can enjoy it, without someone complaining that they are bored, and that there's not enough action, etc. I go to the operas alone, because no one I know is willing to sit for 3-5 hours. That would be above and beyond true friendship! I bring a yogurt and an insulated bottle of coffee, either iced or hot, and I escape into another world, another time, another place. When I return home to all the activity and chores, I feel like I've been on a refreshing vacation.

Today is another water-fest in my back yard, with all the children and grandchildren. I have a Wading pool, splash pad, water slide, sand box, swing set, playhouse, trees to climb, a shady patio with a barbecue for the adults, and bubbles everywhere. Someone is throwing the ball for the dog, and the cat is beating the dog to it. I'm in heaven!

I'm here in the kitchen, waiting for the corn to boil.

Happy Day! I don't DARE say one word, but my TBM/Atheist daughter and her RM temple husband seem to skip church every other Sunday. I think this is a compromise with them and his uber-fanatic TBM family. They haven't been to the temple, since their wedding! One week on, one week off, and their children know all about dinosaurs, astronomy and light-years, nature and evolution, book knowledge, acceptance of others, and UNCONDITIONAL LOVE--because I helped teach them!

Date: August 05, 2018 07:12PM

I've always loved the family movies. Even after my children have grown up. Occasionally still like to watch them (albeit selectively.) :)

One of my children grew up to work for one of the children's animation studios in Hollywood for four years out of college. Never in a million years would I have envisioned that beforehand. All those children movies we went to when they were growing up - who knows? May have been planting seeds that later sprouted. :)

I've been to theater plays and operas with my children or with groups. Movies I have no problem with going solo. Or even an occasional music concert that I really want to see.

Ewan McGregor is perfectly cast for the role IMO of Christopher Robin.

Sounds like great fun with your family. Enjoy! :)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 08:00PM

I'm watching my three-year-olds while they play a pointless game of Marco Polo in the pool. The game is pointless because they, like probably everyone else who has ever played Marco Polo, are both flagrant cheaters.

Date: August 05, 2018 08:37PM

LOLOL.

:D

Date: August 05, 2018 09:02PM

In another time and place, this would've been Fast Sunday.

Whew, what a difference a day makes in an alternate reality! :D

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 09:03PM

Posted by: CateS ( ) I just watched a movie, my Cousin Vinny, What a classic.
---
I also love that movie! Such good laughs throughout.

Still, I haven't been out to see a movie in longer than I can remember. Instead, I see what Turner Classic Movies provides--usually good stuff, and record what I would like to see again.

Q: "Anything fun going on?"

A: I live alone (since my husband passed-away), but I am never lonely. I don't drive anymore, but I have children that live near by whom I see regularly, or even take me out to dinner (we share the bill).

Plus, I read a lot, and go online here to enjoy all the news (and participate when I think it is relevant).

I also go for walks, sometimes just in my own house, and put music I like to hear on my recorder to march too.

Lucky me, I don't even have to cook (as the city I live in provides me meals, home delivered by volunteers), for which I pay for monthly--but am not required to do (if I couldn't afford to).

One of the recent funny thing that went on for me, is when my son called me from Tenn., to tell a funny story re. his eldest daughter (6-ish). She was sitting on the pot, singing at the top of her lungs, "Oh, you know you've got to come out, so you may as well do so!" (There--I know you can't help but laugh at that, even as I did.)

Date: August 06, 2018 01:59PM

pollythinks Wrote:

> One of the recent funny thing that went on for me,
> is when my son called me from Tenn., to tell a
> funny story re. his eldest daughter (6-ish). She
> was sitting on the pot, singing at the top of her
> lungs, "Oh, you know you've got to come out, so
> you may as well do so!" (There--I know you can't
> help but laugh at that, even as I did.)

You sound like a very resourceful lady.

Your granddaughter is hilarious! How funny. :)

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 09:11PM

Recovered from Friday night on Saturday....the whole day, lol. Today went to lunch with my lovely new wife, then ran 5k at the gym (we usually run outside.) She, however, chose to run 12k. I waited patiently and then we went to the bar for some beers (and me a couple shots of whisky to accompany the beer.) Now at home and watching some TV. More active than yesterday, ha ha.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 10:36PM

I saw a local production of Beehive, a salute to 60’s girl groups. The woman who sang Janis Joplin was amazing.

Had brunch before the production with my SIL.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 08:29AM

Took my hot rod to town, drank coffee.

Date: August 06, 2018 11:06AM

Ah, shugar.

Must feel a tad lonelier since BYU Boner went back to Utah.

Sounds like you two had a heckuva grand weekend. :)

Date: August 06, 2018 12:57PM

I bid adieu to Da Bone at morning coffee yesterday and came home to a quiet house. We sure did a lot of talking over 4 days....really cool dude...lifelong friendship in the making methinks.

Date: August 06, 2018 06:23PM

Would love to have long conversation with you on many things too....would be interesting.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:18AM

I did very little except a Target run, and even that wasn't very exciting and the store was very crowded and unorganized. My local Target is one of the smaller ones and was kind of a mess yesterday..the team needed to straighten things out.

I had some dinner, then watched "Victoria & Abdul" which I apparently wrote about at length in October last year. Still a very entertaining movie:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2028905,2028990#msg-2028990

Date: August 06, 2018 11:24AM

Oh, I like Judi Dench too. My son gave me the DVD collection of "As Time Goes By," for Christmas one year.

Ladies in Lavendar was another great film. Really loved the violin solos by Joshua Bell in that one. If you like his music, you'll love The Red Violin, if you haven't already seen it. :)

Date: August 06, 2018 12:59PM

I loved her and Billy Connolly in "Mrs. Brown" too...and I thought she was the perfect foil as "M" to Daniel Craig's 007.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 01:29PM

I had seen Ladies in Lavender in the theater when it was first released and noticed last week that it's available on Amazon Prime, so I've got it on my list of movies to watch, among several dozen others.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:35AM

I'm covering for 2 other people for the next week and a half while they are on vacation. It is our busy time as we do a Jackson Hole hospital. Took dogs for a walk early (7 a.m.) and made some dinner for my boyfriend to come by at 7 and we had dinner together. He usually always does all the cooking, so I made something for him for a change.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:41AM

7 hours in the ER with my wife. We thought it was kidney stones, but it proved to be a kidney infection.

Good times.

Date: August 06, 2018 12:59PM

Bummer, dude....had both...zero fun with either. Good luck.

Date: August 06, 2018 01:13PM

It was my wife experiencing it; I've never had the pleasure. I remember as a kid seeing my dad with kidney stones. I almost wince just thinking of the pain I witnessed.

I'd say she woke up in the middle of the night screaming, but she said it was so painful it took her breath away and couldn't scream.

I of course rushed her to the ER, and she seemed genuinely surprised that I would. She thanked me profusely and said that she didn't think she could have driven herself. I sometimes wonder what she thinks of me to even consider the possibility that I wouldn't rush to help her.

Date: August 06, 2018 01:17PM

GregS Wrote:
> I
> I of course rushed her to the ER, and she seemed
> genuinely surprised that I would. She thanked me
> profusely and said that she didn't think she could
> have driven herself. I sometimes wonder what she
> thinks of me to even consider the possibility that
> I wouldn't rush to help her.

It's probably because the leadership, male & female, have assured her you are no longer capable of normal human emotions, what with all the hanging out you do with your new bestie, Satan.

Date: August 06, 2018 01:26PM

Yeah, she did ask me once how I knew the difference between good and evil if I didn't believe in God. To be fair, she knew that I knew, she just didn't know how I knew.

Date: August 06, 2018 07:54PM

I have endured 3 kidney stones including a 7mm x 4mmm jagged "boulder"....13 days after my first total knee replacement. I joked with the OR nurse that another knees surgery would be less painful before they removed the rock...I was right. NASTY!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 07:47PM

Posted by: GregS: " 7 hours in the ER with my wife. We thought it was kidney stones, but it proved to be a kidney infection."
-----

I remember my mother driving my father to the hospital emergency room, but he had to crawl to get into the car. She told him, "Now you know what giving birth feels like."

Now, more importantly, I will offer you a remedy that can change her life: Put a little less than a tablespoon of baking soda into water, mix slightly with your finger and swollow--then rinse your throat with a little more water to chase it down. Do this as soon as trouble starts, and I hope it helps her as much as it does me. I haven't had a kidney infection (which used to require a Doctor visit), since I have used this remedy.

Repeat as many times as you want, as it is not toxic. (I never have had to do it twice.)

Good luck.

Return, and report back?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:18AM

Sorry to be late in posting.

On Sunday, DH, Daughter the Younger and I went to our local aquarium, which is currently hosting the most adorable pair of river otters! I can't walk much any more, so we took along my walker/wheelchair. It allowed me to walk as much as possible, and be pushed when necessary.

I have loved otters ever since reading "Ring of Bright Water" ages ago, so it was marvelous to see them. They played, did water ballet, chittered - quite the little entertainers, they were!

Date: August 07, 2018 10:34PM

I love otters too. They're very intelligent.

Last time I saw one it was taking a swim on a Vancouver, BC inlet. It liked to watch the tourists watching it back. :)

All you could mostly see was its head bobbing up out of the water as it stared toward the beach. I was told it was a regular there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 10:35PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.