Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 02:49PM

We’re going to need a new washer and dryer very soon. Ours came with the house a few years ago and are ready to go, plus very basic and outdated.
I’d like opinions on best brands and which do most people prefer- top or front loading .
I’d like something that can wash a lot at one time, cleans well, without damaging the clothes in the long run.
I never had a front loader before.Do they leak or can the door open,if it’s not locked properly?
I want something that has gentle or hand wash on it and the dryer with a “ line dry “ setting
I shrunk a few clothes by using the gentle cycle, which ended up being not so gentle , after all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:14PM

I really like my solar powered clothes dryer. It works especially well on windy days.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:16PM

How often do you have to change the filter?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:24PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:23PM

My dryer is an old electric front loading one that works really well on tumble dry low. That's about the only setting I use on it to get good results with the drying.

It's only needed servicing once in the more than 20 years I've owned it (knock on wood.) To replace a belt. The brand is no longer in production however.

My washer is a top loading large capacity GE. Front loaders I've read have special maintenance requirements the top loaders don't. I like mine because it fits in larger loads, and can do gentle cycles if needed. It doesn't have the computerized features many newer models come with. I avoid those because they seem to break more frequently.

Look for a copy of Consumer Reports to see what are the best rated models this year. It's usually a reliable way to separate the better quality from lower quality products.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:26PM

And they were certainly a top-of-the-line name brand...

I learned also that Whirlpool made Sears brands; I'm not sure if this is still true in this age of globalization...

I've got an old Kenmore gas dryer my mother gave me; they're just basically indestructible; it's the washers that go. I don't know how Sears is doing these days, however. They're closing some stores here...

So I scored a Whirlpool washer really cheap from a customer, and as soon as I can, I'll get a small leak repaired... I don't use it much living alone, and the fact one is beige and the other white doesn't bother me.

I would not have a front loading washer, but that's probably just a matter of personal taste.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 06:56PM

Cabbie, when I first moved into my condo, the original top-loading clothes washer died within days (It was a GE that was about 6 years old.) The repairman recommended that I get a Whirlpool, and that top-loading washer lasted for 14 years -- so, no complaints. I replaced it with another top-loading Whirlpool and it seems to wash about as well, although it has some quirks. It does have an agitator which was important to me (it's increasingly rare these days.) I would say to read the online reviews for appliances at the Sears, Lowe's, Best Buy websites, etc. because the purchasers will tell you what's what.

You are correct that some (but not all) Kenmore appliances are manufactured by Whirlpool. If you look at comparable models, you can tell. My Kenmore refrigerator was manufactured by Whirlpool.

My 21 year old GE dryer is going just fine. I don't think that driers have the issues that washers do.

I would not buy a Samsung. I bought a Samsung dishwasher, and when the control panel went after 6 years, the machine was essentially dead. I expect better than that.

My brother and sister-in-law have a front loading clothes washer and dryer. I want to say that they are LG. My SIL has been very happy with them. She lives in an area where saving water is essential, so that drove their decision-making.

Some people are happy with their front loaders and some not. I would read online reviews carefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 07:00PM by summer.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:57PM

All of our appliances are the commercial models, and unsure of the residential models.

With that being said, our front load Maytag has been bulletproof for about six years.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:31PM

Samsung has quality issues and poor warranty at this time

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:33PM

My neighbor's LG seems to work pretty well.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:38PM

My washer died, it was due, but I wish it had died before the washer tariff/tax went into effect.

I don't know how long you can wait, but I wouldn't buy one until all this trade business shakes out.

Like AmyJo wrote, I chose a model found in Consumer Reports, and bought the similar older model, and I still got kicked in the teeth. But my clothes are clean!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:38PM

SLC:

Remember, sears is only a retailer, sears employees didn't make anything they sell!

I don't think there's a correlation between # of stores & quality..

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 06:25PM

Remotely related to what you're referring to, I'll give you a free cab ride at tne next Exmormon Conference.

What I don't know about "Sears status" is where the company going, and the closing of stores is relevant to the service/warranties, etc. they offer. Now if you've got an "update" on what they offer these days, it would be relevant to this thread. But I don't see anything.

I've liked Sears for almost 60 years now, that's all.

Edit: This despite the fact that in the back of my head they have something going with Uber or one of the other amateur ride-sharing operations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 06:26PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:42PM

If you get one without an agitator you can wash more at a time. I just got a new top load Maytag with no agitator. It works well and has a much.m larger capacity.Front loaders can be dangerous with small kids. There was a report of a child who climbed in, the washer started filling and she would have drowned if her mother hadnt found her.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 03:57PM

I prefer top loading washers for a few reasons:

There was a story a while back about the seals around the door harboring mold. If you damage the seals trying to clean it all the time, I'd be afraid of leaks.

I don't like the idea of having it full of water and needing to open the door in an emergency. At least with my top loading washer, I can pause the thing and get the lid to unlock.

Thirdly, with little kids potentially around, it seems they would be less likely to try getting inside if it opens on top.

Maybe this is silly and unwarranted, but just my preference.

What irritates me about washers nowadays is how they have to be over-automated. For example:
Using weight to determine how much water goes into the batch. Locking the lids.
Sometimes I want it to use more water or use the settings differently than they are designed. I dunno. I just don't particularly like the most basic things computerized and that controlling.

I have a Kenmore set (not sure who made them for Sears) that is 8 years old. My only complaint is the little detergent drawer get residual water in it after it runs that never drains. So, I'm always cleaning it out.

I'm to the point where there are so many choices for everything it's hard to make a choice at all.

Best of luck in your selection!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 04:26PM

Top loading Kenmore, but Sears is gone so I don't think they

are making them anymore. It was the best washer I've ever had.

Good luck.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 05:15PM

dogblogger is right: avoid Samsung. Lots of repair problems.

Whirlpool makes not only Kenmore/Sears, but several other brands as well A bit of on-line research and you can find out who manufactures whom.

Consider taking out an on-line subscription to Consumer Reports, but use their recommendations with caution. Look over the reviews, and you'll see lots of 1-stars on Samsung.

Go with analog switching, if possible. Electronic control panels tend to go long before motors and bearings and are very expensive to replace, often $400-500, which means buying a new machine. Besides, they program in function variables you don't really need. All you want is water temperature and length of cycle.

When you install (especially if you have go with a digital control), make sure your laundry room has enough circulation so it's not operating in a warm, humid atmosphere, and that your dryer is properly cleaned and ducted--the lint gets in places you can't believe!

Lastly look for open-box, dented/scratched models. I have a retailer who knocks off 50% for open box, more if there's any cosmetic flaws.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2018 05:17PM by caffiend.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 06:17PM

Check out Consumer Reports. I heard they are reliable.

Top loading washer. Keep it simple. Want an extra rinse, just reset.

We use gas dryers.

In my case, I am limited by size and space.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 06:45PM

Have had a front load Maytag for years. No problems. Had read about the seal staying moist and smelly in some reviews. I've never had that problem. Uses less water and the tub is tilted so that the water doesn't come out when you have to stop a load midstream to add a forgotten sock. I can stuff that thing as full as possible and seems things always come out clean.
Think your going to get a lot of personal preference opinions. Check consumer reports and decide your budget. Good luck.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 08:30PM

Good to know. Thanks for this.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 05, 2018 09:22PM

We had a top-of-the-line Maytag front loader washer and dryer for years and aside from some minor issues (there was a problem with the "boot",the gasket that seals the tub molding to the door, but it was covered under a recall and was replaced). DH did have to do some other repairs once the warranty went out but nothing lasts forever anymore.

Bought new machines in October of 2016 (Whirlpool). The boot ripped the day after we got it (still can't figure out how it happened, I suspect the initial tear was already there). The place we bought it from replaced at no charge. Then we had issues with leaking. I finally told them to take the pair back and we upgraded to a top-of-the-line Electrolux. No mechanical problems with this so far.

HOWEVER a word of caution about these new-fangled extra large capacity front-loading, energy saving (eye-rolling here) wonders. They use very little water. They also don't get the soap out of your clothes very well (duh). You will find yourself using the "extra rinse" setting, and sometimes one rinsing will not be enough. You can go ahead and reduce the amount of soap to minimal but you won't be getting your clothes clean. My dryer does not have infinite time settings. For example, if 45 minutes is not long enough but 60 minutes is too long there is nothing in between which means the dryer runs more than it needs to. It takes a very long time to dry just a few garments on low. This is due to the size of the drum and the fact that just a few items ball up together even with dryer balls and will take forever to dry. There are a few other issues that make the "green" aspects of these machines laughable but I can't recall what they are right now.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 12:42AM

For the love of gawd don’t get a high efficiency washer. It’s the same idea as trying to flush the toilet with a cup and a half of water. Does not work. Clothes no come clean. You’ll have to stop every load and manually add gallons and gallons of water if you want clean clothes.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 12:49AM

best washer by far:
Speed Queen Commercial Heavy Duty topload

from internet (gotta be true):
When you look at brand reliability, the most reliable washing machine brand is Speed Queen, followed by Roper, Maytag and Samsung. Further down in reliability, it's Whirlpool, Kenmore, GE and LG.

All Speed Queen machines are proudly made in USA, and built solid to last a long time. Our appliance repairman said most washers (especially made in China) are virtually guaranteed to have big problems within 7 to 10 years and need expensive repairs or replacement.

Laundromats frequently choose Speed Queen because they need reliable machines built to provide massive numbers of load washes without falling apart.

We are 60ish (our age) and we expect our Speed Queen washer to last a lot longer than ourselves, even if we live a really long life.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 12:54AM

Everything is crap these days.

Sorry to be a buzzkill.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 01:00AM

worst washer ever is: GE (cannot repair these)

Best washer: an old Kenmore. The older the better. I recently found an Old, old, old Kenmore at an Estate sale. It happens to be the same Kenmore model my mother was using back in the late 60s and she had bought it used. It's still working and I found it in the basement at the estate sale -- no one wanted it because it looked all dirty and disgusting. But the inside is good, and these things work FOREVER!

They are extremely heavy, however.

These were made to be repaired and last forever. I highly and very strongly recommend these VERY OLD washers - top loaders. Look on YOUTUBE for videos on VIntage Washers. They are collector's Items.

Btw, Front Loaders are terrible. They will grow mold inside the door seals and stink like crazy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 10:30PM

Bought a Whirlpool Sport pair in 2006. Front load washer and gas dryer. Still going strong. My son and his family are about 4 years into a Maytag front load pair.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:34PM

Thanks guys. You’ve really helped a lot, I appreciate it. I was reading consumer reports and another one and that’s where the anxiety started. I never dreamed there was so many different ones.
A couple I’m scratching off the list. I’ve decided on the top loader. Front loaders just sound like a pain. Kenmore, I always think of that street in Chicago, near Wrigley Field, well it’s an Avenue ( Kenmore Ave) Didn’t know they made wash machines, LOL
I was thinking of Speed Queen or Electrolux,
Now, I have to decide on model and which gets clothes the cleanest , with different settings, so the clothes won’t tear.
I heard some models cause rips, don’t know how though.
Where we’re moving we’re getting WELL water! We never, ever had well water before.
I don’t want an energy saver one either that won’t let you use a lot of water.
I also don’t want one where you have to use a special laundry detergent.
Can you use regular wash machines with well water? Don’t know if they can handle stronger machines water pressure wise
What about this red stains from iron I’m hearing about?
Is well water hard on clothes?
Do ALL washing machines and dryers work with well water?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:41AM

We had a well where I grew up on a farm. Don't recall there being a problem with the water pressure when we added a washer to the house.

The water was supposedly clean and fresh because it came from deep within the ground. We had more problems with the septic system as I recall because we weren't on a city sewer system.

You may want to invest in a water softener. I imagine well water is hard water without adding a water softener. And that would affect your clothing as well. ETA: or a good fabric softener. Which I have to use with mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 05:43AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 10:01AM

The laundry detergents for the newer clothes washers have to be "HE" (standing for high efficiency,) but my best guess is that all the major brands are by now. There will be a tiny seal on the front of your detergent stating that it is HE.

My brother and his wife have had well water for many years, in two different houses. You will have difficulty with your white clothes (and perhaps some other clothes) which may yellow or get rust stains. My SIL just replaces those items when they get too stained.

Consumer Reports is a mixed-bag for me. Many time the products they recommend are wonderful, but sometimes not. I have often found online reviews to be more helpful.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:22AM

Speed Queen

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 09:50AM

The space in my laundry room is limited and I didn't want to remodel. I bought the simplest set available which would slide into the space. I'm happy.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:50PM

In the UK the best brand of dryers is called White Knight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.