Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 08:18PM

Below is a great starter for a conversation (which I recently used on a girl's church visit to me with their leader--me being their service project).

My best friend (and still is), is not a member of the church. Before we were married, we both lived at home--me in a house in a regular neighborhood, and she within the peramitors of the local zoo!

I loved to sleep over at her house, and she at mine (where she didn't have to be locked in at night, after park/zoo hours).

Her step-father was the man in charge of zoo affairs, and so he lived in a home up a hill and behind his office (where he could easily handle any emergency which might occur).

I could tell many funny stories regarding this situation, but this post would be too long if I did, so I will forbear-- unless I am provoked into doing so.

The end (at least for now). :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 10:45PM

I just adopted a stray kitty today. Took her to the vet for shots and feline leukemia test. She’s two years old and not been spayed. My dog is curious but my cat is not amused.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 06, 2018 11:38PM

I have had cats, but they stayed outside. I just adopted them basically as strays and I'd feed them and make a place for them to sleep. I was rather shocked when my ex bought the first cat an electric water bowl for winter as he is not a fan of cats.

Which are better? Dogs take more attention I guess. I can't leave my dogs alone for a few days like my sister can with her cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 11:39PM by cl2.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:31AM

I've had both. No real preference other than dogs are more work.

My cats were indoor pets. Most of the ones I adopted from the SPCA were neurotic creatures. The ones I adopted as strays or purebreds were not.

Dogs are easier studies to try and figure out. Cats are more mysterious.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 06:28AM

I would say dogs make better pets. They are more intelligent and less independent.

Cats do their own thing, and are more wild.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 02:12PM

Ooh, I disagree with this one, yessir. Dogs are not "smarter," just more easy to train. Cats DO do their own thing, but are no more "wild" than any feral dog, or feral animal of any kind. Each kind of pet--dogs or cats-- has its own quirks and reasons to like having one. You prefer dogs, others prefer cats, and some prefer both. Potayto, potahto.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 07:39AM

All of my children have beaks.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 10:27AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All of my children have beaks.

Mine, too, but I never would say that big birds make good pets. As I'm being deafened by the macaw's daily morning calls.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 10:31AM

It's like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaI6SWfDnTc

or ... it could be like this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yjgl80eRMw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 10:37AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 08:02AM

I have one of each. For me, a well-rounded home has a cat and a dog. Each brings something different to your life.

There is nothing quite like the devotion of a dog. You'll never have a more-devoted friend. They're a lot more work than a cat, but if you walk them, you have this constant incentive to exercise.

There is nothing quite like the calming effect of a purring cat in your lap. I'm convinced that it greatly reduces the blood pressure. It's a lovely, calming feeling. They love it when you play with them. They cost a lot less at the Vet.

If I could only have one though, I'd have a cat. I love cats and I need to have one in my life. A cat is easier to take care of, if you're someone like me who works every day.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 09:32AM

I've had both growing up but never at the same time. I love having either but both have the pros and cons. At this time in my life, I will have neither. I'm in an unstable environment and I couldn't handle it when one would die.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 10:45AM

I'm going to try really hard not to adopt any more pets after my pooch goes.

It is too heart wrenching to say goodbye. And the time and cost involved ... maybe after I'm retired and relocated where I want to be. Now is not a good time for me either.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 01:50PM

Rescue a shelter dog (or two)!!!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:32PM

My parents would say children. They have a menagerie of non-human pets.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 11:20PM

I love them both but it’s easier to lose a cat when life gets hectic.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 08:15PM

I've had both and they're great!

Dogs need a lot of attention. They're extremely loyal.

Cats can also be loving, but they do so on their own terms.

Let me say this, pets choose who they want to be close to. Some twenty years ago, I adopted a kitten to keep my newlywed wife company while I went to work/school. That cat decided that he really didn't care for me or my wife. Instead, the cat adopted my grumpy Dad. At the time, my Dad was very cold to the addition of another pet to the Goop household. That cat grew so close to my Dad that it had to stay with Dad when we moved out.

Currently, I have two active 1 year old kitties. There's never a dull moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 08:16PM by messygoop.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 08:26PM

Absolutely!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 03:45PM

They are both great in different ways. Dogs take more care since they have a greater need to be walked and/or played with. Dogs need to be bathed at intervals and brushed regularly. They may also need regular grooming depending on the breed.

You can leave a cat alone for a couple of days with sufficient dry food and water, and it will be okay. You can play with cats, but they are also good at entertaining themselves. Short-haired cats do not need to be bathed nor groomed, just given the occasional brushing. It can be difficult to care for some long-haired cats since their coats tend to pick up everything and the fur can get matted. Ever try to give a cat a bath? It's no fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.