Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 02:27PM

I just found out yesterday the president to replace Holland at UVU is not a white Mormon male... but...
An Asian American female! I'm surprised, but this is awesome.

Read that only 38%of university presidents are female and only 17% are non whites. Wow! Go UVU!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 03:54PM

She was at Microsoft as I understand it. Her salary was published in the Tribune. It is just under 300k with a 21k housing allowance. How does this compare with other positions like this at other universities?

I am curious as to why she left Microsoft to become a university president. In Orem, UT. Is she LDS?

At any rate, I am hoping for her success. Aren't Utah State and Westminster also being led by women presidents?

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 07:50PM

Oh really? I didn't know the other university were female presidents.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 04:48PM

Higher education is in a serious mess with these inflated administration salaries and rising costs. What troubles me is that so many kids are going to college thinking that it is their only ticket to success. These young kids are racking up $60,000 for undergraduate degrees before they have had real time to think about what they want or can do for a living. And they end up in default working in retail.

The LDS religion is no help in this matter either and are right on board encouraging everyone to go be perpetually educated no matter the cost. If this new Asian American president cares about these kids she should make a promise that if they don't get them job placement in 1 year after graduation then she and her assistance will personally pay for their debts.

That would turn this student loan tax payer subsidized crises around real quick.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:09PM

"She has a bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University, a master’s degree from Harvard University and a doctorate from Massachusetts Institute of Technology..."

Went to BYU, so almost certainly mormon.
But smart enough to do graduate work at more impressive institutions. :)

And she's a Filipina!

edit to add: this pretty much leaves BYU as the only "big" university in the state without a female leader. Hmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 05:10PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:21PM

My suspicion is that BYU will never have a female president or provost or chancellor or whatever because these positions at BYU are so wrapped up in quasi-priesthood authority. Essentially, my guess is that members, especially powerful ones in Utah would take umbrage with the woman leading a mormon-ran university, besides the typical patriarchical nonsense reasons. This time it would be religious patriarchical nonsense reasons.

My guess is that officially being a BYU president is not considered a church calling but since I’m pretty sure they are appointed by the first presidency it is a church calling in everything but name.

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 05:59PM

Knew her family on my mission, she is from Iloilo, her parents I believe were killed in an accident and she and siblings were raised by oldest sister. They were a family that really stands out in my memory as being very hard working and very fine people. She was about 9 years old when I was there so I didn't interact a lot with her, but her older sibs were very fun to interact with, really cool kids. I think they have all excelled in various pursuits. Attended her interview session at UVU, am very happy for her, just hope they don't abuse her there. I think she can hold her own, but I guess we shall see.

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: August 07, 2018 11:15PM

Wonderful news for UVU. I love to see diversity in the valley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.