Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 01:57PM

Mormons are indeed their own worst enemy.

I live and work in an area that is largely Mormon free. No one knows any or gives a hoot. Interestingly, one of my colleagues was just reading on a major internet source about the Mormon bishops asking all the nasty questions behind closed doors. I haven't looked at the source, but he was saying "they clearly make everything the girl's fault and that the girls entice the boys with the way they dress." Apparently all women are just Eve with an apple and a snake in their ear.

I love unsolicited out of the blue comments like this from NeverMos. The Mormons have guarded their "sacreds" so heavily for so long to keep the phony front up, but the truth still keeps getting out there anyway. Pity. ;)

There's a video he said of someone reading the questions to the public. I'd check it out but I already know all the questions from when the Bishop asked them to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 02:05PM

The Book of Mormon is its own worst critic, too. If they wanted more respect, Mormons would drop the BoM, but they can't do it, can they? They're stuck in their world, and it's hard to escape from. Prospective Mormon missionary recruits turn away because of the negative experiences going to church, belief in truly silly doctrines, negativity, and the ability to debunk the whole religion at any time they desire. Today's convert is always a marginalized person with learning or mental issues. No one wants them, but the missionaries feel obligated to baptize them, anyway.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 08, 2018 03:30PM

Yes. So much they can't back away from. Claiming to have direct revelation in all they do leaves them painted into the corner and they are too old to leap onto the credenza and from there the sofa.

The nasty interviews were performed by Mormon men supposedly guided by the Holy Spirit so how do they admit now that it was wrong? That would make their God wrong or their prophet phony. Not much of a choice there. Same problem as the BoM and the BoA and a whole oversized load of other stuff. It can't be inspired one day and wrong the next. That problem takes decades to alleviate by memories dying, like with the Black issue.

So, is time on their side?

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 01:30AM

I hate to say it, but time is on their side as the vast majority of their members are born into the TSCC. As long as members have 4 kids, where half will leave, they will still keep their active member numbers and tithing revenues.
In my family 2 stayed and 3 left the TSCC. I am the only one officially off their records, so the membership numbers they quote are probably half of the regular members.
I love when I hear nevermos talk honestly about mos, they can't understand them at all.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 09:47AM

>>Apparently all women are just Eve with an apple and a snake in their ear.

Mormon church PR probably reached its peak in the 70s and 80s. The church back then was largely able to project an appealing, clean, wholesome, family-friendly image to prospective members. But with the internet age, the church has lost considerable control over its narrative and its image. Now it can be lumped in with the evangelical and fundie types of Christian churches that engage in body shaming, lack of support for LBGTQ, lack of equality for women, etc. With more information available through the media and the internet, the general public is able to place Mormonism in a proper context.

There are some parts of our population to whom that type of view will appeal. But my guess is that most of those people are already members of a conservative faith community and will have zero interest in Mormonism.

Many other people now have the ability to see Mormonism for what it is.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 03:39PM

Nicely put

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.